Command prompt closes automatically

Hi all

When running command prompt, regedit and msconfig, they pop-up for few
seconds and closes automatically. How can I resolve this?

Please help.

Thanks in advance,
Garry
5 answers Last reply
More about command prompt closes automatically

    Start | All Programs | Accessories

    Click on command prompt. Then, run your command. When done, close the
    window.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner

    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ToolsQuit.htm

    --
    d-d

    Hi Garry,

    By removing the virus or viruses that are infecting the system. That is a
    common symptom.

    Free virus removal tools:

    http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
    http://www.emsisoft.com/en/
    http://free.grisoft.com/doc/8/lng/us/tpl/v5/nid/3001#3001
    http://www.f-secure.com/download-purchase/tools.shtml

    Also, you may use this free on-line scanner:
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

    Symantec also distributes many free removal tools that are virus-specific:
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/tools.list.html

    Many are best run in Safe mode to minimize interference. Most will resist
    removal in normal mode where they are active.

    How to start in Safe mode:
    http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Safe%20mode

    Emergency system tools:
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_emerutils.htm

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Garu" <garrys@brunet.bn> wrote in message
    > Hi all
    >
    > When running command prompt, regedit and msconfig, they pop-up for few
    > seconds and closes automatically. How can I resolve this?
    >
    > Please help.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Garry

    In article <#G9$XiEkFHA.1968@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>, garrys@brunet.bn
    says...
    > Hi all
    >
    > When running command prompt, regedit and msconfig, they pop-up for few
    > seconds and closes automatically. How can I resolve this?

    If you are running CMD from RUN and it closes, then you've been infected
    and need to boot in safe mode and clean your system.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

    Leythos wrote:
    > In article <#G9$XiEkFHA.1968@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>, garrys@brunet.bn
    > says...
    >
    >>Hi all
    >>
    >>When running command prompt, regedit and msconfig, they pop-up for few
    >>seconds and closes automatically. How can I resolve this?
    >

    > If you are running CMD from RUN and it closes, then you've been infected
    > and need to boot in safe mode and clean your system.

    Richard's solution should fix the command prompt issue. But regedit and
    msconfig are Windows programs and perhaps a virus is involved.

    Bill

Command Prompt Microsoft Windows XP