Command prompt closes automatically

garu

Hi all

When running command prompt, regedit and msconfig, they pop-up for few
seconds and closes automatically. How can I resolve this?

Please help.

Thanks in advance,
Garry

In article <#G9$XiEkFHA.1968@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>, garrys@brunet.bn
says...
> Hi all
>
> When running command prompt, regedit and msconfig, they pop-up for few
> seconds and closes automatically. How can I resolve this?

If you are running CMD from RUN and it closes, then you've been infected
and need to boot in safe mode and clean your system.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

Start | All Programs | Accessories

Click on command prompt. Then, run your command. When done, close the
window.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

"Garu" <garrys@brunet.bn> wrote in message
> Hi all
>
> When running command prompt, regedit and msconfig, they pop-up for few
> seconds and closes automatically. How can I resolve this?
>
> Please help.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Garry

Hi Garry,

By removing the virus or viruses that are infecting the system. That is a
common symptom.

Free virus removal tools:

http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
http://www.emsisoft.com/en/
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/8/lng/us/tpl/v5/nid/3001#3001
http://www.f-secure.com/download-purchase/tools.shtml

Also, you may use this free on-line scanner:
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Symantec also distributes many free removal tools that are virus-specific:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/tools.list.html

Many are best run in Safe mode to minimize interference. Most will resist
removal in normal mode where they are active.

How to start in Safe mode:
http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Safe%20mode

Emergency system tools:
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_emerutils.htm

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Leythos wrote:
> In article <#G9$XiEkFHA.1968@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>, garrys@brunet.bn
> says...
>
>>Hi all
>>
>>When running command prompt, regedit and msconfig, they pop-up for few
>>seconds and closes automatically. How can I resolve this?
>

> If you are running CMD from RUN and it closes, then you've been infected
> and need to boot in safe mode and clean your system.

Richard's solution should fix the command prompt issue. But regedit and
msconfig are Windows programs and perhaps a virus is involved.

Bill