WMP10 -- Cannot play DVDs in full-screen mode

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.multimedia.windows.mediaplayer,microsoft.public.windowsmedia,microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Greetings to all.

I am using a Dell Inspiron 9200 with WindowsXP SP2, WMP10 and PowerDVD
installed. Previously everything was working well. Now, I cannot play DVDs
in full-screen mode via Windows MediaPlayer 10 (the screen is just
gray/black). WMP can play it in windowed mode; and PowerDVD can play it in
windowed mode or full-screen without any problems.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
?WhyMe?
10 answers Last reply
More about wmp10 play dvds full screen mode
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.multimedia.windows.mediaplayer,microsoft.public.windowsmedia,microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Your question can best be answered by reposting in the
    "Windows Media Player" newsgroup:

    Visit the "Official" Windows Media Player Newsgroup:

    Windows Media Player FAQ
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/player/faq.aspx

    Windows Media Player: WMP mini FAQ (Excellent Site!)
    http://www.nwlink.com/~zachd/pss/pss.html

    Windows Media Player Support Center
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];wmp

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "? WhyMe ?" wrote:

    | I am using a Dell Inspiron 9200 with WindowsXP SP2, WMP10 and PowerDVD
    | installed. Previously everything was working well. Now, I cannot play DVDs
    | in full-screen mode via Windows MediaPlayer 10 (the screen is just
    | gray/black). WMP can play it in windowed mode; and PowerDVD can play it in
    | windowed mode or full-screen without any problems.
    |
    | Any thoughts?
    |
    | Thanks.
    | ?WhyMe?
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.multimedia.windows.mediaplayer,microsoft.public.windowsmedia,microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    An addendum:

    The same error (can play windowed but not in full-screen) when using Real
    Player. So it must be a problem with the PowerDVD decoder.

    I reinstalled the decoder, but the same thing is happening in both WMP10 and
    RP.

    Any thoughts??

    Thanks.
    ?WhyMe?
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.multimedia.windows.mediaplayer,microsoft.public.windowsmedia,microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    ? WhyMe ? wrote:
    > Greetings to all.
    >
    > I am using a Dell Inspiron 9200 with WindowsXP SP2, WMP10 and PowerDVD
    > installed. Previously everything was working well. Now, I cannot
    > play DVDs in full-screen mode via Windows MediaPlayer 10 (the screen
    > is just gray/black). WMP can play it in windowed mode; and PowerDVD
    > can play it in windowed mode or full-screen without any problems.
    >
    > Any thoughts?
    >
    > Thanks.
    > ?WhyMe?

    "Previously everything was working well."

    "Previously" to what changes?

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt

    WhyMe>> "Previously everything was working well."
    Kurt> "Previously" to what changes?

    'Previously' as in "in the past" and "before this problem started" ;-) I
    can't identify a cause for the problem. All I know is that at one point,
    WMP refused to play DVDs completely, citing a problem with the "digital
    copyright." I reinstalled the PowerDVD decoder software at this point, and
    WMP started playing the DVDs again, like it used to -- except that it
    doesn't play in full-screen mode anymore.

    Any ideas?
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.multimedia.windows.mediaplayer,microsoft.public.windowsmedia,microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    ? WhyMe ? wrote:
    > WhyMe>> "Previously everything was working well."
    > Kurt> "Previously" to what changes?
    >
    > 'Previously' as in "in the past" and "before this problem started"
    > ;-) I can't identify a cause for the problem. All I know is that at
    > one point, WMP refused to play DVDs completely, citing a problem with
    > the "digital copyright." I reinstalled the PowerDVD decoder software
    > at this point, and WMP started playing the DVDs again, like it used
    > to -- except that it doesn't play in full-screen mode anymore.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Yeah.

    "All I know is that at one point, WMP refused to play DVDs completely,
    citing a problem with the "digital copyright." I reinstalled the
    PowerDVD decoder software at this point, and WMP started playing the
    DVDs again, like it used to -- except that it doesn't play in
    full-screen mode anymore."

    So why did you keep this info hidden? Did you want help, or a psychic
    reading?

    Go to the Cyberlink web site and see if there is an update for your
    version of PowerDVD, though the stars may be against you.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.multimedia.windows.mediaplayer,microsoft.public.windowsmedia,microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    if it works on power dvd the n what is the big deal, dont play dvds on wmp,
    you should consider reading " Developing Common Sense
    For Dummies"

    "? WhyMe ?" wrote:

    > Greetings to all.
    >
    > I am using a Dell Inspiron 9200 with WindowsXP SP2, WMP10 and PowerDVD
    > installed. Previously everything was working well. Now, I cannot play DVDs
    > in full-screen mode via Windows MediaPlayer 10 (the screen is just
    > gray/black). WMP can play it in windowed mode; and PowerDVD can play it in
    > windowed mode or full-screen without any problems.
    >
    > Any thoughts?
    >
    > Thanks.
    > ?WhyMe?

    Hello,

    I agree with all in this thread. I also think this problems may relate to
    PowerDVD, please conatct Cyberlink Web site for assistance first. I provide
    the link here for your convenience.

    http://www.gocyberlink.com/english/cs/support/new_site/support_index.jsp

    Best regards,

    Vincent Xu
    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    --------------------
    | From: "? WhyMe ?" <nospam@nospam.com>
    | Subject: WMP10 -- Cannot play DVDs in full-screen mode
    | Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 09:48:41 -0400
    | Newsgroups:
    microsoft.public.multimedia.windows.mediaplayer,microsoft.public.windowsmedi
    a,microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,mi
    crosoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support

    | Greetings to all.
    |
    | I am using a Dell Inspiron 9200 with WindowsXP SP2, WMP10 and PowerDVD
    | installed. Previously everything was working well. Now, I cannot play
    DVDs
    | in full-screen mode via Windows MediaPlayer 10 (the screen is just
    | gray/black). WMP can play it in windowed mode; and PowerDVD can play it
    in
    | windowed mode or full-screen without any problems.
    |
    | Any thoughts?
    |
    | Thanks.
    | ?WhyMe?

    Hello,

    I notice that you have posted the same question in our newsgroup, to which
    I have already responded. Please check my answer there.

    I copy my reply here for your convenience.

    ---------------------------------------

    -------------------------------------

    Best regards,

    Vincent Xu
    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    --------------------
    | From: "? WhyMe ?" <nospam@nospam.com>
    | Subject: WMP10 -- Cannot play DVDs in full-screen mode
    | Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 09:48:41 -0400
    | Newsgroups:
    microsoft.public.multimedia.windows.mediaplayer,microsoft.public.windowsmedi
    a,microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,mi
    crosoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support

    | Greetings to all.
    |
    | I am using a Dell Inspiron 9200 with WindowsXP SP2, WMP10 and PowerDVD
    | installed. Previously everything was working well. Now, I cannot play
    DVDs
    | in full-screen mode via Windows MediaPlayer 10 (the screen is just
    | gray/black). WMP can play it in windowed mode; and PowerDVD can play it
    in
    | windowed mode or full-screen without any problems.
    |
    | Any thoughts?
    |
    | Thanks.
    | ?WhyMe?

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.multimedia.windows.mediaplayer,microsoft.public.windowsmedia,microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    > if it works on power dvd the n what is the big deal, dont play dvds on
    > wmp,
    > you should consider reading " Developing Common Sense
    > For Dummies"

    Wow, why all the antagonism?

    If something was working seamlessly before, and now has a glitch, why not
    try to fix it back to how it was before?

    Besides, I like using WMP to play every type of media.

    Thanks for everyone's input.... Still searching for a solution, though.

    Hello,

    I think I must explain that we are not against your using PowerDVD. Since
    this issue happens after you update the PowerDVD decoder, so we suspect
    there is somthing going wrong after your update. At this point, I think
    contact cyberlink for assistance should be more properly.

    Thank you for understanding.

    Best regards,

    Vincent Xu
    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    --------------------
    | From: "? WhyMe ?" <nospam@nospam.com>
    | Subject: Re: WMP10 -- Cannot play DVDs in full-screen mode
    | Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 20:15:38 -0400
    | Newsgroups:
    microsoft.public.multimedia.windows.mediaplayer,microsoft.public.windowsmedi
    a,microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

    | > if it works on power dvd the n what is the big deal, dont play dvds on
    | > wmp,
    | > you should consider reading " Developing Common Sense
    | > For Dummies"
    |

    | Wow, why all the antagonism?
    |
    | If something was working seamlessly before, and now has a glitch, why not
    | try to fix it back to how it was before?
    |
    | Besides, I like using WMP to play every type of media.
    |
    | Thanks for everyone's input.... Still searching for a solution, though.

Dell Inspiron Multimedia Microsoft Powerdvd Windows XP