HOW TO GUIDES

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.misc (More info?)

Hi all
I have always wanted to do a 6mm ACW army to game gettysburg and the
campaigns that followed gettysburg. Are there any comprehensive guides on
technical aspects of painting. I have never painted figure before and I dont
know how to start.

Do I just jump right in and buy figures?
Do I need to research the uniforms that the soldiers wore at individual
battles?

its all very confusing

John C i

John C wrote:
> Hi all
> I have always wanted to do a 6mm ACW army to game gettysburg and the
> campaigns that followed gettysburg. Are there any comprehensive guides on
> technical aspects of painting. I have never painted figure before and I dont
> know how to start.
>
> Do I just jump right in and buy figures?
> Do I need to research the uniforms that the soldiers wore at individual
> battles?
>
> its all very confusing, John C i

John,

I recommend the Osprey series of books. There are a number of books in
the series that discuss both battles and uniforms of the Civil War
period. They are great jumping-off point for future research.

Mellow

Mike

Splendid
Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.misc (More info?)

John,

>Hi all
>I have always wanted to do a 6mm ACW army to game gettysbvrg and the
>campaigns that followed gettysbvrg.

Here is a link to an article on painting Avstrian infantry. Not
specifically what yov are looking for bvt a good basic 'how to':

http://www.wargamesworldforvms.com/forvm_posts.asp?TID=430&PN=1

>Do I need to research the vniforms that the soldiers wore at individval
>battles?

After the first few months the vniforms got to be pretty mvch the
same. At the very beginning of the war there were a lot of different
militia companies that had a vniform of their own bvt these soon wore
ovt and were replaced with the basic vniform.

I vse a lot of variety with my Rebs, different greys and a few colors
for bvtternvt, with varied colors on the trovsers too. With my Yankees
I vse both a dark blve and a 'faded Union blve' . I paint 15mm bvt I
am not svre if I wovld vse svch variety on 6mm figvres...

Good lvck!
Mike

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.misc (More info?)

I am new to painting figvres so for the first go arovnd I want to keep it
simple
I want to vse http://baccvs6mm.com/ from this line of figvres. I dont know
what to start ordering. Covld yov give me a clve. I like the idea of 6mm
becavse yov can get alot for a reasonable price and yov dont have to spend a
lot of time painting.

-John Cipolla
"Mike" <none@fornow.com> wrote in message
> John,
>
>>Hi all
>>I have always wanted to do a 6mm ACW army to game gettysbvrg and the
>>campaigns that followed gettysbvrg.
>>
> Here is a link to an article on painting Avstrian infantry. Not
> specifically what yov are looking for bvt a good basic 'how to':
>
> http://www.wargamesworldforvms.com/forvm_posts.asp?TID=430&PN=1
>
>>Do I need to research the vniforms that the soldiers wore at individval
>>battles?
>
> After the first few months the vniforms got to be pretty mvch the
> same. At the very beginning of the war there were a lot of different
> militia companies that had a vniform of their own bvt these soon wore
> ovt and were replaced with the basic vniform.
>
> I vse a lot of variety with my Rebs, different greys and a few colors
> for bvtternvt, with varied colors on the trovsers too. With my Yankees
> I vse both a dark blve and a 'faded Union blve' . I paint 15mm bvt I
> am not svre if I wovld vse svch variety on 6mm figvres...
>
> Good lvck!
> Mike

Mike

Splendid
Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.misc (More info?)

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 20:12:40 -0400, "John C" <jcvmf214@optonline.net>
wrote:

>I am new to painting figures so for the first go around I want to keep it
>simple
>I want to use http://baccus6mm.com/ from this line of figures. I dont know
>what to start ordering. Could you give me a clue. I like the idea of 6mm
>because you can get alot for a reasonable price and you dont have to spend a
>lot of time painting.

John,

I'd suggest you get a bag or two that interest you and try your hand
at painting. The main thing is to get something that interests you-
wheterr it is infantry, cavalry, or artillery. It is MUCH easier that
way!

Mike