Slave hard drive disappeared

oloriun

Distinguished
May 27, 2005
All started about a month ago.. I was getting reboots during games. After one particular reboot my slave drive failed to appear anywhere nor could I detect it.

Turned out a piece of memory was fubared, I removed it and the hard drive reapeared.. hurray...

A week later another piece of ram died. Somewhen during this period the slave drive had dissapeared randomly again. I replaced all ram and the hard drive reappeared...hurray again..

After realising I had put the ram in the wrong slots I changed them round...hard drive dissapeared, and no combination of ram positions brought it back after that. I searched the net for answers and got nowhere.

A few days ago I replaced the hard drive cables and sure enough the hard drive popped back to life. Later that day we had a powercut and yes, you guessed it... the slave drive went back to sleep. I've fiddled and removed and reseated things, I'm out of ideas.

Oh also, I can startup with just the slave connected, as in it actually shows up, but with both connected it doesn't want to know.

I have an abit nf7 mobo, 2600 barton 1 giggle of ram.
Help!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by oloriun on 05/27/05 07:37 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

_WW_

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
What is your setup?
Are the jumpers set to CS or M/S?
Does BIOS see the drive while Windows does not?
Have you run the manufacturers diagnostic tool on the drive?
....WW (5.1)

_WW_

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
And thinking in another direction: with all this hardware and power fluctuations you might check in that area, PSU, bad power source from the wall plug.

....WW (5.1)