Replacement harddrive

commodorewolf

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
I got replacement harddrive for my Dell e310, when i tryed to boot from cd using a windoes xp pro disk the cd drives didnt even turn, saying boot device is not avaliable, so i installed xp using another computer then when returnign the harddrive i get a bluescreen on boot up Stop: 0x0000007B(0xBACC3528, 0xC0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000) and any of the other things ive found out there for these error codes didnt help

rockyjohn

Distinguished
You cannot install the OS onto the HD using another system because it picks up the drivers for that other system then does not have the correct ones for yours. You will need to reformat the drive and start over with it in the e310. It sounds like the error message was right on point saying the system could not find one or more device drivers to operate.

Do you have your manual? Check and see if it has a section descibing the BIOS ( the software on the mobo that controls devices and loads the OS) and showing screens of what it looks like. Most BIOS have a place to set the boot order and you need the CD to be first. Not sure if this is the problem as the default should set it this way.

Is it really a CD and not DVD drive and is the OS disc the same as the drive - CD or DVD? If you put any other disk in the system can you hear the CD start turning?

Did you double check to make sure new HD:
Meets specs for Dell - eg SATA or ATA and the size - don't know if this is limited on Dells or not.
Is correctly installed with right cables to the mobo - SATA of ATA?
Power supply reconnected?
Can you tell if HD is (was) running when first tried to install OS? Some can be pretty quiet?
Did you change from ATA to SATA drive? SATA I or II?
What are the new and old drives? Make and model number please

Did you make any other changes to system besides installing new HD?
Can you reinstall old HD and see if it and CD still work? You don't need to put it in the case, or take the new one out, just disconnect mobo and power from the new and connect to the old sitting beside or on top of case.

rockyjohn

Distinguished
Just a thought - are you trying to reload the OS from the Dell disk or a third party version?

Since the Dell mobo and its BIOS are proprietary - I and wondering - and don't know - if it has something special or unique about it that might be causing issues.

Also what power lights come one? What do the 4 diagnostic lights on the front of the case indicate? See your manual if you need help knowing what is what and interpreting them. If you don't have a manual, download one from Dell.

I checked your manual and the BIOS information is listed under System Setup and it does describe how to view and change the boot order of installed devices - which I discussed above.

rockyjohn

Distinguished
Do you have Windows XP?

Are you following the Dell instructions for reinstalling your OS? Did you complete all steps up to and including the boot sequencing review in Step 4 #1?

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&dl=false&l=en&s=gen&docid=D68EC8310D13B965E030A68F27286C5F&doclang=en&cs=

Now I need some feedback from you before I can proceed further.