Giantantispywareupdater

I have found this prog. running on my PC.
I have no recollection of downloading it.
What is it and should I leave it there?

Part of Microsoft Anti Spyware.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

"leonperrins" <leonperrins@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have found this prog. running on my PC.
> I have no recollection of downloading it.
> What is it and should I leave it there?

No remove it if you can in Add\Remove. If the removal tries to get you to
visit a site to remove it do NOT do that. Try to find in Google the right
way to get rid of it. But more than likely you have an ActiveX in
C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files which you can see by going to the folder
in the Command prompt and typing attrib hit <RETURN>. In fact do that
attrib > dlcontents.txt and then notepad dlcontents.txt and paste the result
here.

--
George Hester
_______________________________
"leonperrins" <leonperrins@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have found this prog. running on my PC.
> I have no recollection of downloading it.
> What is it and should I leave it there?

I don't really think he wants to remove part of the Microsoft Anti Spyware
beta program. It is there and running for a very good reason. If he removes
it he won't be able to update his software, as the process depends upon that
file. He just didn't know what it was. I guess many others don't either.

When the final program is released I am certain that all file names will
have been renamed appropriately.

--

"George Hester" <hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> No remove it if you can in Add\Remove. If the removal tries to get you to
> visit a site to remove it do NOT do that. Try to find in Google the right
> way to get rid of it. But more than likely you have an ActiveX in
> C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files which you can see by going to the
> folder
> in the Command prompt and typing attrib hit <RETURN>. In fact do that
> attrib > dlcontents.txt and then notepad dlcontents.txt and paste the
> result
> here.
>
> --
> George Hester
> _______________________________
> "leonperrins" <leonperrins@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I have found this prog. running on my PC.
>> I have no recollection of downloading it.
>> What is it and should I leave it there?

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 08:04:01 -0700, "leonperrins"
<leonperrins@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have found this prog. running on my PC.
>I have no recollection of downloading it.
>What is it and should I leave it there?

That is a Microsoft (formerly -- Giant) Antispyware program.

--
Mikhail Zhilin
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)

Many thanks to all.
I think M/soft could have made it clear.

leonperrins wrote:
> Many thanks to all.
> I think M/soft could have made it clear.

They can't even make clear what it considers spyware. MS has an unholy
alliance with certain spyware developers, and updated MWAS to ignore
their spyware.

As usual, the last company to trust when it comes to computer security
is MS.

--
Peace!
Kurt

In news:98CF7537-C7F0-4451-A357-484FE39E9836@microsoft.com,
leonperrins <leonperrins@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> Many thanks to all.
> I think M/soft could have made it clear.

While I have some sympathy with that point of view, be aware you
you chose to run this beta version. When you run beta software,
you need to realize that you run many risks, and that it's to be
expected that not everything is going to be perfect.

Please reply to the newsgroup

> "Mikhail Zhilin" wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 08:04:01 -0700, "leonperrins"
>> <leonperrins@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I have found this prog. running on my PC.
>>> I have no recollection of downloading it.
>>> What is it and should I leave it there?
>>
>> That is a Microsoft (formerly -- Giant) Antispyware program.
>>
>> --
>> Mikhail Zhilin
>> MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
>> http://www.aha.ru/~mwz
>> Sorry, no technical support by e-mail.
>> Please reply to the newsgroups only.
>> ======

I'd still get rid of it. Pardon me my mistake here but then anything which
puts unknown in the system is suspect from Microsoft or not.

--
George Hester
_______________________________
> leonperrins wrote:
> > Many thanks to all.
> > I think M/soft could have made it clear.
> >

> They can't even make clear what it considers spyware. MS has an unholy
> alliance with certain spyware developers, and updated MWAS to ignore
> their spyware.
>
> As usual, the last company to trust when it comes to computer security
> is MS.
>
> --
> Peace!
> Kurt
> Self-anointed Moderator
> microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
> http://microscum.com/mscommunity
> "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

Alias

"kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote

> As usual, the last company to trust when it comes to computer security is
> MS.
>
> --
> Peace!
> Kurt

Kinda like trusting Bush to be fair about rebuilding what he blew up.

--
Alias

> I have found this prog. running on my PC.
> I have no recollection of downloading it.
> What is it and should I leave it there?

Must have installed itself. Maybe it's spyware. It is from
Microsoft, after all. It claims to be "anti" spyware, but I can
smell disinformation when I slip in it.

Naw, I'm just messin' with ya. It's the antispyware that Microsoft
bought up and stuck their own name on. It works pretty well. I use
it. Nothing sinister about it ... unless you consider it sinister
when a giant multinational corporation installs its own software
on your computer without asking your permission. Or maybe you put
it on yourself, and just forgot?

> leonperrins wrote:
>> Many thanks to all.
>> I think M/soft could have made it clear.
>>

> They can't even make clear what it considers spyware. MS has an unholy
> alliance with certain spyware developers, and updated MWAS to ignore their
> spyware.
>
> As usual, the last company to trust when it comes to computer security is
> MS.

Technically it doesn't ignore Claria. It flags it and recommends that the
user ignore it. This can be changed to remove or quarantine as the user sees
fit. I don't agree with this change but there is a lot of disinformation
being spread. It does warn the user that the software may be spyware.
Microsoft's assessment of the risk is the problem. Claria has changed their
software somewhat but most still consider it spyware.

Kerry

Kerry Brown wrote:
> "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in
> message news:eP4GUZHkFHA.2484@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> leonperrins wrote:
>>> Many thanks to all.
>>> I think M/soft could have made it clear.
>>>

>> They can't even make clear what it considers spyware. MS has an
>> unholy alliance with certain spyware developers, and updated MWAS to
>> ignore their spyware.
>>
>> As usual, the last company to trust when it comes to computer
>> security is MS.
>>

> Technically it doesn't ignore Claria. It flags it and recommends that
> the user ignore it.

Thank you Mr. Bush for reclarifying that for us.

It is my opinion that anything worthy of being flag should be
recommended to be removed. MWAS is geared toward the people that
wouldn't know better, and will follow MS's recommendations.

> This can be changed to remove or quarantine as
> the user sees fit. I don't agree with this change but there is a lot
> of disinformation being spread. It does warn the user that the
> software may be spyware. Microsoft's assessment of the risk is the
> problem. Claria has changed their software somewhat but most still
> consider it spyware.

And Claria isn't the only companies spyware that has been changed. MS
recommending ignoring of these spywares makes a joke out of calling MWAS
"antispyware." It would be more accurate to call it, Microsoft Windows
Not Always AntiSpyware.

--

> Kerry Brown wrote:
>> "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in
>> message news:eP4GUZHkFHA.2484@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>>>>

>>> They can't even make clear what it considers spyware. MS has an
>>> unholy alliance with certain spyware developers, and updated MWAS to
>>> ignore their spyware.
>>>
>>> As usual, the last company to trust when it comes to computer
>>> security is MS.
>>>

>> Technically it doesn't ignore Claria. It flags it and recommends that
>> the user ignore it.
>
> Thank you Mr. Bush for reclarifying that for us.

I don't get the Bush reference here. My politics are very far left from any
of the Bush's. What does politics even have to do with the topic?

> It is my opinion that anything worthy of being flag should be recommended
> to be removed. MWAS is geared toward the people that wouldn't know
> better, and will follow MS's recommendations.
>
>> This can be changed to remove or quarantine as
>> the user sees fit. I don't agree with this change but there is a lot
>> of disinformation being spread. It does warn the user that the
>> software may be spyware. Microsoft's assessment of the risk is the
>> problem. Claria has changed their software somewhat but most still
>> consider it spyware.
>
> And Claria isn't the only companies spyware that has been changed. MS
> recommending ignoring of these spywares makes a joke out of calling MWAS
> "antispyware." It would be more accurate to call it, Microsoft Windows
> Not Always AntiSpyware.

I am in total agreement with you here. MWAS is an excellent tool, one of the
best antispyware tools available. Unfortunately they have chosen to make it
"safe" for the general population so have limited it's effectivness. Those
who have a bit of knowledge and are willing to ignore the defaults will get
good results, most people using it will think they have cleaned their system
when they clearly haven't.

Kerry

leonperrins wrote:
> Wow!! Has a Brit stirred up a hornet's nest or what?
>
> Pardon me but am I right in thinking that the MS Beta Antispyware
> Prog. is allowing the Giantantispyware prog, which is really spyware,
> to run and not trying to stop it?
> If this is the case my AdAware or Spybot progs. should clean it up
> but what damage will have been done in the meantime?
> What antispyware progs. that monitor constantly would you recommend?
> Summing up, am I worse off running MS Antispy because it actually
> encourages Giantantispy to run? or no worse off without the MS prog.
> because Giant might or might not find me?
> I am very confused.

MWAS is Giant AS. MS bought it and is now perverting it. Will MWAS
hurt anything? Well it is beta software, and you should only use beta
software for testing puposes.

I use Spybot S&D, Adaware, and SpywareBlaster and have no spyware
problems, but then again, that would probably be the case even if I
didn't use them.

--

Kerry Brown wrote:
> "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in
> message news:OZWwgNPkFHA.1044@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> Kerry Brown wrote:
>>> "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in
>>> message news:eP4GUZHkFHA.2484@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...

>>> Technically it doesn't ignore Claria. It flags it and recommends
>>> that the user ignore it.
>>
>> Thank you Mr. Bush for reclarifying that for us.
>>

> I don't get the Bush reference here. My politics are very far left
> from any of the Bush's. What does politics even have to do with the
> topic?

By recommending ignoring Claria and other spywares by default, they have
basically reset MWAS to ignore these spywares, as the vast majority will
use MWAS.

It will only be the very few that will ignore MS's recommendation to
ignore, just like the vast majority of people that use Windows Update
install every single recommended update, whether they need it or not.

I felt you were quibbling like the Bush Admin quibbles over things.

>> It is my opinion that anything worthy of being flag should be
>> recommended to be removed. MWAS is geared toward the people that
>> wouldn't know better, and will follow MS's recommendations.
>>
>>> This can be changed to remove or quarantine as
>>> the user sees fit. I don't agree with this change but there is a lot
>>> of disinformation being spread. It does warn the user that the
>>> software may be spyware. Microsoft's assessment of the risk is the
>>> problem. Claria has changed their software somewhat but most still
>>> consider it spyware.
>>
>> And Claria isn't the only companies spyware that has been changed. MS
>> recommending ignoring of these spywares makes a joke out of
>> calling MWAS "antispyware." It would be more accurate to call it,
>> Microsoft Windows Not Always AntiSpyware.
>>

> I am in total agreement with you here. MWAS is an excellent tool, one
> of the best antispyware tools available. Unfortunately they have
> chosen to make it "safe" for the general population so have limited
> it's effectivness. Those who have a bit of knowledge and are willing
> to ignore the defaults will get good results, most people using it
> will think they have cleaned their system when they clearly haven't.

And it's the "most people" this anti-spyware tool is geared towards.
Knowledgable users use anti-spyware tools more for peace of mind, than
to prevent and clean up spyware on their own computers.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

Shane

"Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
> No, for the time being my opinion is that MS are opportunists and are only
> getting into the spyware removal business for the money, be it from
> selling the program to allowing paying spyware customers to be ignored by
> the scans and I think you will have to buy it once it's out of Beta and
> the free testing for MS has been done. I never said they are selling it
> now.

The claim - iirc - is that it'll be free to Windows Genuine Advantage sheep.
But comme ci comme ca.

Shane

"leonperrins" <leonperrins@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Wow!! Has a Brit stirred up a hornet's nest or what?
>
>Pardon me but am I right in thinking that the MS Beta Antispyware Prog. is
>allowing the Giantantispyware prog, which is really spyware, to run and not
>trying to stop it?

No. Giantantispyware is *part* of the Microsoft Antispyware program
itself. It is not spyware. It is a component of the system that has
not (yet?) been renamed. Microsoft purchased Giant Antispyware, made
some modifications to it and released it as Microsoft Antispyware.

>If this is the case my AdAware or Spybot progs. should clean it up but what
>damage will have been done in the meantime?
>What antispyware progs. that monitor constantly would you recommend?

Microsoft Antispyware, in spite of the recent changes regarding Claria
and some other products, is still at the top of the heap in terms of a
spyware monitoring and prevention program.

>Summing up, am I worse off running MS Antispy because it actually encourages
>Giantantispy to run? or no worse off without the MS prog. because Giant might
>or might not find me?

As I said, MS Antispy *is* Giantantispy and there is no need to be
concerned about that specific item.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Ron Martell wrote:

<snipped at both ends>

> Microsoft Antispyware, in spite of the recent changes regarding Claria
> and some other products, is still at the top of the heap in terms of a
> spyware monitoring and prevention program.

It is? That would be your opinion. Any AS that recommends ignoring
well-known spyware, is the top of my trash heap. And MWAS is the
slowest scanning, most resource hogging AS that I have ever used. As
for monitoring, I detects false postives. As for prevention, I wouldn't
know, since I never set off any AS real-time prevention program.

And it is just plain inexcusable to recommend a BETA product in a live
non-testing environment.

--

I found the article again. http://spywarewarrior.com/asw-test-guide.htm

--

Richard Urban [MVP] wrote:
> I found the article again.
> http://spywarewarrior.com/asw-test-guide.htm

And I was gonna say that you were going to the wrestling site to see
pics of men rolling around on the ground in tights!

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

(-: LOL

--

> Richard Urban [MVP] wrote:
>> I found the article again.
>> http://spywarewarrior.com/asw-test-guide.htm
>

> And I was gonna say that you were going to the wrestling site to see pics
> of men rolling around on the ground in tights!
>
> --
> Peace!
> Kurt
> Self-anointed Moderator
> microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
> http://microscum.com/mscommunity
> "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

Your only alternative is Windows because you discount all other options.
If I hated Windows and Microsoft as much as you seem, I would not use
either.
If that choice would cost me $, so be it.
I have lost out on $ before solely on principal and have little doubt it
will happen again.
I guess another factor is where you place your priorities.
You set your priorities.
After that you make your choice.
It still comes down to your choice.

You made the choice of Mac or PC and apparently chose PC.

Just because you eliminate all other options by your choice, does not mean
Microsoft forces you to buy Microsoft.
You chose to eliminate the other options.

As for "Are you saying that it is the customer's responsibility to be
happy..."
I never said that, those are your words.
I am not happy with prices of various items.
And in that case, I find options.
I do not continue using what I hate as you choose to do.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

Jupiter Jones [MVP] wrote:
> Your only alternative is Windows because you discount all other
> options. If I hated Windows and Microsoft as much as you seem, I
> would not use either.
> If that choice would cost me $, so be it.
> I have lost out on $ before solely on principal and have little doubt
> it will happen again.
> I guess another factor is where you place your priorities.
> You set your priorities.
> After that you make your choice.
> It still comes down to your choice.
>
> You made the choice of Mac or PC and apparently chose PC.
>
> Just because you eliminate all other options by your choice, does not
> mean Microsoft forces you to buy Microsoft.
> You chose to eliminate the other options.
>
> As for "Are you saying that it is the customer's responsibility to be
> happy..."
> I never said that, those are your words.
> I am not happy with prices of various items.
> And in that case, I find options.
> I do not continue using what I hate as you choose to do.

And you totally discount the monopoly hold that MS has on people over
years, decade or more in some cases. It isn't just a choice of MS v.
Mac, or MS v. Linux, in reality. It is MS, all the hardware and
software you've bought over the year, and your years of computer
eductation, v. MAC, new expensive hardware & software, and more years to
unlearn aand relearn a different way of computing.

But you have no concept of reality, so I don't expect you to understand.