How do I connect the audio from the second CD ROM to the motherboard

jphuffs

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012
My motherboard has only one CD Audio connection. How do I connect the second CD ROM Audio to the motherboard?

Solution
Many newer systems do away with the audio cable altogether. Recent versions of Windows support audio-CD playback using digital audio extraction, which lets the PC read digital data directly from the drive and perform the necessary digital-to-analog conversion. The biggest drawback of digital audio-CD playback: If there's a headphone jack on the front of the optical drive, it won't work when you play a CD. (which is why most newer CD\DVD players no longer have the headphone jack on the front of them !)

Put a CD into the second drive and play it -- you should hear the music without any connector - as they have said the interface bus now handles the connection so the cable is no longer needed ! IF you do find a need for it you can...

jphuffs

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012

In all due respect what do you mean by that statement? You are implying that I don't need to to hook up the audio from the second CD-ROM? Is that what you are implying? If so, please say so. If so, how does the sound get from the second CD-ROM to the motherboard? Your statement wasn't very helpful to a honest question.

jphuffs

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012

Thanks for the explanation. He made an invalid assumption. Both CD-ROMs are IDE.

jphuffs

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012
Are you saying that there is no need for an audio cable between the CR-ROM and the motherboard for either IDE or SATA? Then why is there a CD-ROM Audio connector location on the motherboard?

Many newer systems do away with the audio cable altogether. Recent versions of Windows support audio-CD playback using digital audio extraction, which lets the PC read digital data directly from the drive and perform the necessary digital-to-analog conversion. The biggest drawback of digital audio-CD playback: If there's a headphone jack on the front of the optical drive, it won't work when you play a CD. (which is why most newer CD\DVD players no longer have the headphone jack on the front of them !)

Put a CD into the second drive and play it -- you should hear the music without any connector - as they have said the interface bus now handles the connection so the cable is no longer needed ! IF you do find a need for it you can purchase a Y-splitter so that the one connector can have 2 drives connected to it.

20551.jpg

Solution