Solved

How do I connect the audio from the second CD ROM to the motherboard

My motherboard has only one CD Audio connection. How do I connect the second CD ROM Audio to the motherboard?
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about connect audio motherboard
  1. for about 10 years you don't need to do this :)
  2. nikolarun said:
    for about 10 years you don't need to do this :)

In all due respect what do you mean by that statement? You are implying that I don't need to to hook up the audio from the second CD-ROM? Is that what you are implying? If so, please say so. If so, how does the sound get from the second CD-ROM to the motherboard? Your statement wasn't very helpful to a honest question.
  3. He's implying that you don't need an audio cable as it now goes through the SATA cable...
  4. dodger46 said:
    He's implying that you don't need an audio cable as it now goes through the SATA cable...

Thanks for the explanation. He made an invalid assumption. Both CD-ROMs are IDE.
  5. jphuffs said:
    Thanks for the explanation. He made an invalid assumption. Both CD-ROMs are IDE.

IDE, SATA, makes no difference.
  6. Are you saying that there is no need for an audio cable between the CR-ROM and the motherboard for either IDE or SATA? Then why is there a CD-ROM Audio connector location on the motherboard?
  7. jphuffs said:
    Are you saying that there is no need for an audio cable between the CR-ROM and the motherboard for either IDE or SATA? Then why is there a CD-ROM Audio connector location on the motherboard?

Old school. Audio travels over the digital link now.
  8. Best answer
    Many newer systems do away with the audio cable altogether. Recent versions of Windows support audio-CD playback using digital audio extraction, which lets the PC read digital data directly from the drive and perform the necessary digital-to-analog conversion. The biggest drawback of digital audio-CD playback: If there's a headphone jack on the front of the optical drive, it won't work when you play a CD. (which is why most newer CD\DVD players no longer have the headphone jack on the front of them !)

Put a CD into the second drive and play it -- you should hear the music without any connector - as they have said the interface bus now handles the connection so the cable is no longer needed ! IF you do find a need for it you can purchase a Y-splitter so that the one connector can have 2 drives connected to it.

9. Best answer selected by jphuffs.
Ask a new question

Read More

Configuration Connection Audio CD-Rom Motherboards Windows 7 Product