C-Drive(Vol-C) NOT RECOGNIZED

I have been using Pentium 4 with 120 Gb C-Drive and 40 Gb F drive on my
Gateway Computer with 1Gb Memory for the last three years. It is still
functioning fine. BUT when I click on Computer from the Start Menu, All my
drives and CD roms are listed EXCEPT DRIVE-C! I am able to access the drive
for cleaning thru Windows XP prof. but Drive-C Could not be accessed on
Norton Defragmenter for some reason.I contacted Gateway Support with NO
SOLUTION!
Thanks for any help ti how to put DRIVE-C on Computer Dialog Tab.
16 answers Last reply
More about drive recognized

    What does Disk Management have to say about it?
    Start|Run|diskmgmt.msc

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "mdk" wrote:
    |I have been using Pentium 4 with 120 Gb C-Drive and 40 Gb F drive on my
    | Gateway Computer with 1Gb Memory for the last three years. It is still
    | functioning fine. BUT when I click on Computer from the Start Menu, All my
    | drives and CD roms are listed EXCEPT DRIVE-C! I am able to access the
    drive
    | for cleaning thru Windows XP prof. but Drive-C Could not be accessed on
    | Norton Defragmenter for some reason.I contacted Gateway Support with NO
    | SOLUTION!
    | Thanks for any help ti how to put DRIVE-C on Computer Dialog Tab.

    Diskmgmt says:New Volume (F:) Partition Basic NTFS Healthy 37.28GB
    c:(C:) Partition Basic NTFS
    Healthy(System) 111.79 GB
    Drive c:(C:) is listed down below as Disk 0
    New Volume (F:) as Disk1
    Thank you

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > What does Disk Management have to say about it?
    > Start|Run|diskmgmt.msc
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "mdk" wrote:
    > |I have been using Pentium 4 with 120 Gb C-Drive and 40 Gb F drive on my
    > | Gateway Computer with 1Gb Memory for the last three years. It is still
    > | functioning fine. BUT when I click on Computer from the Start Menu, All my
    > | drives and CD roms are listed EXCEPT DRIVE-C! I am able to access the
    > drive
    > | for cleaning thru Windows XP prof. but Drive-C Could not be accessed on
    > | Norton Defragmenter for some reason.I contacted Gateway Support with NO
    > | SOLUTION!
    > | Thanks for any help ti how to put DRIVE-C on Computer Dialog Tab.

    TweakUI involved?

    --

    "mdk" wrote:
    | Diskmgmt says:New Volume (F:) Partition Basic NTFS Healthy 37.28GB
    | c:(C:) Partition Basic NTFS
    | Healthy(System) 111.79 GB
    | Drive c:(C:) is listed down below as Disk 0
    | New Volume (F:) as Disk1
    | Thank you

    I do not have TweakUI. However when I use search function for TweakUI Drice
    IS NOT LISTED AS ONE OF THE DRIVES TO SEARCH. I used CMD when I get back this
    : C:\Documents and Settings\Mel\CD and whne I put in C:\ prompt I get back
    C:\dir: but no FOLDERS!
    Mel

    "Dave Patrick" <DSPatrick@nOsPAM.gmail.com> wrote in message
    > What does Disk Management have to say about it?
    > Start|Run|diskmgmt.msc
    >

    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "mdk" wrote:
    > |I have been using Pentium 4 with 120 Gb C-Drive and 40 Gb F drive on my
    > | Gateway Computer with 1Gb Memory for the last three years. It is still
    > | functioning fine. BUT when I click on Computer from the Start Menu, All
    > my
    > | drives and CD roms are listed EXCEPT DRIVE-C! I am able to access the
    > drive
    > | for cleaning thru Windows XP prof. but Drive-C Could not be accessed on
    > | Norton Defragmenter for some reason.I contacted Gateway Support with NO
    > | SOLUTION!
    > | Thanks for any help ti how to put DRIVE-C on Computer Dialog Tab.

    Just a thought, but is it possible that the C:\ drive is unselected in the
    *My Computer\Drives* section? If it *is* unchecked, it will not show up in
    Explorer.

    mxh

    Might be some sort of corruption or possibly malware. After backup you can
    run;
    chkdsk /r
    from the recovery console command line. (/r implies /f )

    To start the Recovery Console, start the computer from the Windows XP
    CD-Rom. At the "Welcome to Setup" screen. Press F10 or R to repair a Windows
    XP installation, and then press C to use the Recovery Console. The Recovery
    Console then prompts you for the administrator password. If you do not have
    the correct password, Recovery Console does not allow access to the
    computer. If an incorrect password is entered three times, the Recovery
    Console quits and restarts the computer. Note If the registry is corrupted
    or missing or no valid installations are found, the Recovery Console starts
    in the root of the startup volume without requiring a password. You cannot
    access any folders, but you can carry out commands such as chkdsk, fixboot,
    and fixmbr for limited disk repairs. Once the password has been validated,
    you have full access to the Recovery Console, but limited access to the hard
    disk. You can only access the following folders on your computer: drive
    root, %systemroot% or %windir%

    --

    "mdk" wrote:
    |I do not have TweakUI. However when I use search function for TweakUI Drice
    | IS NOT LISTED AS ONE OF THE DRIVES TO SEARCH. I used CMD when I get back
    this
    | : C:\Documents and Settings\Mel\CD and whne I put in C:\ prompt I get back
    | C:\dir: but no FOLDERS!
    | Mel

    I am unable to access Recovery console. I do not use any password to begin
    with, since I am the sole user of my computer. I tried all combinations for
    password including blank entry, to no avail. Is there any other soluton to
    get to recovery console or should I use regular windows setup for xp prof? Is
    there any way to get my password-even though I did not use one from the
    beginning?

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > Might be some sort of corruption or possibly malware. After backup you can
    > run;
    > chkdsk /r
    > from the recovery console command line. (/r implies /f )
    >
    > To start the Recovery Console, start the computer from the Windows XP
    > CD-Rom. At the "Welcome to Setup" screen. Press F10 or R to repair a Windows
    > XP installation, and then press C to use the Recovery Console. The Recovery
    > Console then prompts you for the administrator password. If you do not have
    > the correct password, Recovery Console does not allow access to the
    > computer. If an incorrect password is entered three times, the Recovery
    > Console quits and restarts the computer. Note If the registry is corrupted
    > or missing or no valid installations are found, the Recovery Console starts
    > in the root of the startup volume without requiring a password. You cannot
    > access any folders, but you can carry out commands such as chkdsk, fixboot,
    > and fixmbr for limited disk repairs. Once the password has been validated,
    > you have full access to the Recovery Console, but limited access to the hard
    > disk. You can only access the following folders on your computer: drive
    > root, %systemroot% or %windir%
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "mdk" wrote:
    > |I do not have TweakUI. However when I use search function for TweakUI Drice
    > | IS NOT LISTED AS ONE OF THE DRIVES TO SEARCH. I used CMD when I get back
    > this
    > | : C:\Documents and Settings\Mel\CD and whne I put in C:\ prompt I get back
    > | C:\dir: but no FOLDERS!
    > | Mel

    You can boot normally and reset the local administrator password.

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321305

    --

    "mdk" wrote:
    |I am unable to access Recovery console. I do not use any password to begin
    | with, since I am the sole user of my computer. I tried all combinations
    for
    | password including blank entry, to no avail. Is there any other soluton to
    | get to recovery console or should I use regular windows setup for xp prof?
    Is
    | there any way to get my password-even though I did not use one from the
    | beginning?

    I am sorry this is the last time I will bother you. I did what you suggested.
    I set a new password. But it did not bring up recovery console. It rejected
    the password.
    With regards and thanks for all your help.

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > You can boot normally and reset the local administrator password.
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321305
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "mdk" wrote:
    > |I am unable to access Recovery console. I do not use any password to begin
    > | with, since I am the sole user of my computer. I tried all combinations
    > for
    > | password including blank entry, to no avail. Is there any other soluton to
    > | get to recovery console or should I use regular windows setup for xp prof?
    > Is
    > | there any way to get my password-even though I did not use one from the
    > | beginning?

    No bother. What did you set a new password for?

    --

    "mdk" wrote:
    |I am sorry this is the last time I will bother you. I did what you
    suggested.
    | I set a new password. But it did not bring up recovery console. It
    rejected
    | the password.
    | With regards and thanks for all your help.

    I am sorry Dave. I had to go out after the last communication. The new
    password is: vishnu32

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > No bother. What did you set a new password for?
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "mdk" wrote:
    > |I am sorry this is the last time I will bother you. I did what you
    > suggested.
    > | I set a new password. But it did not bring up recovery console. It
    > rejected
    > | the password.
    > | With regards and thanks for all your help.

    For the local administrator account. Right? Another option is to install the
    RC as a startup option.

    Create the integrated install and install the RC from there.
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prbd_std_vzku.asp

    by running;
    D:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons

    --

    "mdk" wrote:
    |I am sorry Dave. I had to go out after the last communication. The new
    | password is: vishnu32

    Dear Dave:
    I am not savvy with regards to technical aspect of your instructions. When I
    tried to run D:\i386 et el, I got a warning that my computer has later
    versions of files as compared to the CD! I have a solo desktop computer not
    in a network. You may have ot give me detailed instructions of how to do it
    or I can give you permission to access my computer so that he can look at it
    and see what could be done. If it is agreeable to you, what is a good time?
    Mel

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > For the local administrator account. Right? Another option is to install the
    > RC as a startup option.
    >
    > Create the integrated install and install the RC from there.
    > http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prbd_std_vzku.asp
    >
    > by running;
    > D:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "mdk" wrote:
    > |I am sorry Dave. I had to go out after the last communication. The new
    > | password is: vishnu32

    "When I
    | tried to run D:\i386 et el, I got a warning that my computer has later
    | versions of files as compared to the CD"

    That was expected. That's why you must first create an integrated install.
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prbd_std_vzku.asp

    Then run the command;
    \i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons
    from the destination folder of your integrated install.

    --

    "mdk" wrote:
    | Dear Dave:
    | I am not savvy with regards to technical aspect of your instructions. When
    | tried to run D:\i386 et el, I got a warning that my computer has later
    | versions of files as compared to the CD! I have a solo desktop computer
    not
    | in a network. You may have ot give me detailed instructions of how to do
    it
    | or I can give you permission to access my computer so that he can look at
    it
    | and see what could be done. If it is agreeable to you, what is a good
    time?
    | Mel

    I tried as you suggested. I downloaded Windows CD to my Diskdrive F: and
    downloadedSP2 from web site and tried to execute winnt32.exe from the new
    site. NO DICE. I get a warning that this cannot be completed due to newer
    version on the computer. There is no way I could proceed!
    Regards
    Mel

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > "When I
    > | tried to run D:\i386 et el, I got a warning that my computer has later
    > | versions of files as compared to the CD"
    >
    > That was expected. That's why you must first create an integrated install.
    > http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prbd_std_vzku.asp
    >
    > Then run the command;
    > \i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons
    > from the destination folder of your integrated install.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "mdk" wrote:
    > | Dear Dave:
    > | I am not savvy with regards to technical aspect of your instructions. When
    > | tried to run D:\i386 et el, I got a warning that my computer has later
    > | versions of files as compared to the CD! I have a solo desktop computer
    > not
    > | in a network. You may have ot give me detailed instructions of how to do
    > it
    > | or I can give you permission to access my computer so that he can look at
    > it
    > | and see what could be done. If it is agreeable to you, what is a good
    > time?
    > | Mel

    You'll need to follow the instructions exactly to create the integrated
    install. I've done it many times. It does work.

    --

    "mdk" wrote:
    |I tried as you suggested. I downloaded Windows CD to my Diskdrive F: and
    | downloadedSP2 from web site and tried to execute winnt32.exe from the new
    | site. NO DICE. I get a warning that this cannot be completed due to newer
    | version on the computer. There is no way I could proceed!
    | Regards
    | Mel

Computers Windows XP