Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

C-Drive(Vol-C) NOT RECOGNIZED

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
July 24, 2005 12:19:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I have been using Pentium 4 with 120 Gb C-Drive and 40 Gb F drive on my
Gateway Computer with 1Gb Memory for the last three years. It is still
functioning fine. BUT when I click on Computer from the Start Menu, All my
drives and CD roms are listed EXCEPT DRIVE-C! I am able to access the drive
for cleaning thru Windows XP prof. but Drive-C Could not be accessed on
Norton Defragmenter for some reason.I contacted Gateway Support with NO
SOLUTION!
Thanks for any help ti how to put DRIVE-C on Computer Dialog Tab.

More about : drive vol recognized

Anonymous
July 24, 2005 1:31:25 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

What does Disk Management have to say about it?
Start|Run|diskmgmt.msc

--
Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"mdk" wrote:
|I have been using Pentium 4 with 120 Gb C-Drive and 40 Gb F drive on my
| Gateway Computer with 1Gb Memory for the last three years. It is still
| functioning fine. BUT when I click on Computer from the Start Menu, All my
| drives and CD roms are listed EXCEPT DRIVE-C! I am able to access the
drive
| for cleaning thru Windows XP prof. but Drive-C Could not be accessed on
| Norton Defragmenter for some reason.I contacted Gateway Support with NO
| SOLUTION!
| Thanks for any help ti how to put DRIVE-C on Computer Dialog Tab.
July 24, 2005 1:46:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Diskmgmt says:New Volume (F:)  Partition Basic NTFS Healthy 37.28GB
c:( C:)  Partition Basic NTFS
Healthy(System) 111.79 GB
Drive c:( C:)  is listed down below as Disk 0
New Volume (F:)  as Disk1
Thank you

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> What does Disk Management have to say about it?
> Start|Run|diskmgmt.msc
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "mdk" wrote:
> |I have been using Pentium 4 with 120 Gb C-Drive and 40 Gb F drive on my
> | Gateway Computer with 1Gb Memory for the last three years. It is still
> | functioning fine. BUT when I click on Computer from the Start Menu, All my
> | drives and CD roms are listed EXCEPT DRIVE-C! I am able to access the
> drive
> | for cleaning thru Windows XP prof. but Drive-C Could not be accessed on
> | Norton Defragmenter for some reason.I contacted Gateway Support with NO
> | SOLUTION!
> | Thanks for any help ti how to put DRIVE-C on Computer Dialog Tab.
>
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 3:07:10 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

TweakUI involved?

--
Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"mdk" wrote:
| Diskmgmt says:New Volume (F:)  Partition Basic NTFS Healthy 37.28GB
| c:( C:)  Partition Basic NTFS
| Healthy(System) 111.79 GB
| Drive c:( C:)  is listed down below as Disk 0
| New Volume (F:)  as Disk1
| Thank you
July 24, 2005 3:07:11 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I do not have TweakUI. However when I use search function for TweakUI Drice
IS NOT LISTED AS ONE OF THE DRIVES TO SEARCH. I used CMD when I get back this
: C:\Documents and Settings\Mel\CD and whne I put in C:\ prompt I get back
C:\dir: but no FOLDERS!
Mel

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> TweakUI involved?
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "mdk" wrote:
> | Diskmgmt says:New Volume (F:)  Partition Basic NTFS Healthy 37.28GB
> | c:( C:)  Partition Basic NTFS
> | Healthy(System) 111.79 GB
> | Drive c:( C:)  is listed down below as Disk 0
> | New Volume (F:)  as Disk1
> | Thank you
>
>
>
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 3:37:56 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"Dave Patrick" <DSPatrick@nOsPAM.gmail.com> wrote in message
news:eMP2BTGkFHA.3436@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> What does Disk Management have to say about it?
> Start|Run|diskmgmt.msc
>
>
> Regards,
>
> Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "mdk" wrote:
> |I have been using Pentium 4 with 120 Gb C-Drive and 40 Gb F drive on my
> | Gateway Computer with 1Gb Memory for the last three years. It is still
> | functioning fine. BUT when I click on Computer from the Start Menu, All
> my
> | drives and CD roms are listed EXCEPT DRIVE-C! I am able to access the
> drive
> | for cleaning thru Windows XP prof. but Drive-C Could not be accessed on
> | Norton Defragmenter for some reason.I contacted Gateway Support with NO
> | SOLUTION!
> | Thanks for any help ti how to put DRIVE-C on Computer Dialog Tab.


Just a thought, but is it possible that the C:\ drive is unselected in the
*My Computer\Drives* section? If it *is* unchecked, it will not show up in
Explorer.

mxh
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 3:40:14 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Might be some sort of corruption or possibly malware. After backup you can
run;
chkdsk /r
from the recovery console command line. (/r implies /f )

To start the Recovery Console, start the computer from the Windows XP
CD-Rom. At the "Welcome to Setup" screen. Press F10 or R to repair a Windows
XP installation, and then press C to use the Recovery Console. The Recovery
Console then prompts you for the administrator password. If you do not have
the correct password, Recovery Console does not allow access to the
computer. If an incorrect password is entered three times, the Recovery
Console quits and restarts the computer. Note If the registry is corrupted
or missing or no valid installations are found, the Recovery Console starts
in the root of the startup volume without requiring a password. You cannot
access any folders, but you can carry out commands such as chkdsk, fixboot,
and fixmbr for limited disk repairs. Once the password has been validated,
you have full access to the Recovery Console, but limited access to the hard
disk. You can only access the following folders on your computer: drive
root, %systemroot% or %windir%

--
Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"mdk" wrote:
|I do not have TweakUI. However when I use search function for TweakUI Drice
| IS NOT LISTED AS ONE OF THE DRIVES TO SEARCH. I used CMD when I get back
this
| : C:\Documents and Settings\Mel\CD and whne I put in C:\ prompt I get back
| C:\dir: but no FOLDERS!
| Mel
July 24, 2005 6:04:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I am unable to access Recovery console. I do not use any password to begin
with, since I am the sole user of my computer. I tried all combinations for
password including blank entry, to no avail. Is there any other soluton to
get to recovery console or should I use regular windows setup for xp prof? Is
there any way to get my password-even though I did not use one from the
beginning?

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> Might be some sort of corruption or possibly malware. After backup you can
> run;
> chkdsk /r
> from the recovery console command line. (/r implies /f )
>
> To start the Recovery Console, start the computer from the Windows XP
> CD-Rom. At the "Welcome to Setup" screen. Press F10 or R to repair a Windows
> XP installation, and then press C to use the Recovery Console. The Recovery
> Console then prompts you for the administrator password. If you do not have
> the correct password, Recovery Console does not allow access to the
> computer. If an incorrect password is entered three times, the Recovery
> Console quits and restarts the computer. Note If the registry is corrupted
> or missing or no valid installations are found, the Recovery Console starts
> in the root of the startup volume without requiring a password. You cannot
> access any folders, but you can carry out commands such as chkdsk, fixboot,
> and fixmbr for limited disk repairs. Once the password has been validated,
> you have full access to the Recovery Console, but limited access to the hard
> disk. You can only access the following folders on your computer: drive
> root, %systemroot% or %windir%
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "mdk" wrote:
> |I do not have TweakUI. However when I use search function for TweakUI Drice
> | IS NOT LISTED AS ONE OF THE DRIVES TO SEARCH. I used CMD when I get back
> this
> | : C:\Documents and Settings\Mel\CD and whne I put in C:\ prompt I get back
> | C:\dir: but no FOLDERS!
> | Mel
>
>
>
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 7:36:39 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

You can boot normally and reset the local administrator password.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321305

--
Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"mdk" wrote:
|I am unable to access Recovery console. I do not use any password to begin
| with, since I am the sole user of my computer. I tried all combinations
for
| password including blank entry, to no avail. Is there any other soluton to
| get to recovery console or should I use regular windows setup for xp prof?
Is
| there any way to get my password-even though I did not use one from the
| beginning?
July 24, 2005 7:36:40 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I am sorry this is the last time I will bother you. I did what you suggested.
I set a new password. But it did not bring up recovery console. It rejected
the password.
With regards and thanks for all your help.

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> You can boot normally and reset the local administrator password.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321305
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "mdk" wrote:
> |I am unable to access Recovery console. I do not use any password to begin
> | with, since I am the sole user of my computer. I tried all combinations
> for
> | password including blank entry, to no avail. Is there any other soluton to
> | get to recovery console or should I use regular windows setup for xp prof?
> Is
> | there any way to get my password-even though I did not use one from the
> | beginning?
>
>
>
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 9:34:31 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

No bother. What did you set a new password for?

--
Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"mdk" wrote:
|I am sorry this is the last time I will bother you. I did what you
suggested.
| I set a new password. But it did not bring up recovery console. It
rejected
| the password.
| With regards and thanks for all your help.
July 25, 2005 3:48:17 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I am sorry Dave. I had to go out after the last communication. The new
password is: vishnu32

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> No bother. What did you set a new password for?
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "mdk" wrote:
> |I am sorry this is the last time I will bother you. I did what you
> suggested.
> | I set a new password. But it did not bring up recovery console. It
> rejected
> | the password.
> | With regards and thanks for all your help.
>
>
>
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 6:02:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

For the local administrator account. Right? Another option is to install the
RC as a startup option.

Create the integrated install and install the RC from there.
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Window...

by running;
D:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons

--
Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"mdk" wrote:
|I am sorry Dave. I had to go out after the last communication. The new
| password is: vishnu32
July 26, 2005 5:06:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Dear Dave:
I am not savvy with regards to technical aspect of your instructions. When I
tried to run D:\i386 et el, I got a warning that my computer has later
versions of files as compared to the CD! I have a solo desktop computer not
in a network. You may have ot give me detailed instructions of how to do it
or I can give you permission to access my computer so that he can look at it
and see what could be done. If it is agreeable to you, what is a good time?
Mel

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> For the local administrator account. Right? Another option is to install the
> RC as a startup option.
>
> Create the integrated install and install the RC from there.
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Window...
>
> by running;
> D:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "mdk" wrote:
> |I am sorry Dave. I had to go out after the last communication. The new
> | password is: vishnu32
>
>
>
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 8:00:26 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"When I
| tried to run D:\i386 et el, I got a warning that my computer has later
| versions of files as compared to the CD"

That was expected. That's why you must first create an integrated install.
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Window...

Then run the command;
\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons
from the destination folder of your integrated install.

--
Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"mdk" wrote:
| Dear Dave:
| I am not savvy with regards to technical aspect of your instructions. When
I
| tried to run D:\i386 et el, I got a warning that my computer has later
| versions of files as compared to the CD! I have a solo desktop computer
not
| in a network. You may have ot give me detailed instructions of how to do
it
| or I can give you permission to access my computer so that he can look at
it
| and see what could be done. If it is agreeable to you, what is a good
time?
| Mel
July 27, 2005 12:41:15 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I tried as you suggested. I downloaded Windows CD to my Diskdrive F: and
downloadedSP2 from web site and tried to execute winnt32.exe from the new
site. NO DICE. I get a warning that this cannot be completed due to newer
version on the computer. There is no way I could proceed!
Regards
Mel

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> "When I
> | tried to run D:\i386 et el, I got a warning that my computer has later
> | versions of files as compared to the CD"
>
> That was expected. That's why you must first create an integrated install.
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Window...
>
> Then run the command;
> \i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons
> from the destination folder of your integrated install.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "mdk" wrote:
> | Dear Dave:
> | I am not savvy with regards to technical aspect of your instructions. When
> I
> | tried to run D:\i386 et el, I got a warning that my computer has later
> | versions of files as compared to the CD! I have a solo desktop computer
> not
> | in a network. You may have ot give me detailed instructions of how to do
> it
> | or I can give you permission to access my computer so that he can look at
> it
> | and see what could be done. If it is agreeable to you, what is a good
> time?
> | Mel
>
>
>
Anonymous
July 27, 2005 2:04:42 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

You'll need to follow the instructions exactly to create the integrated
install. I've done it many times. It does work.

--
Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"mdk" wrote:
|I tried as you suggested. I downloaded Windows CD to my Diskdrive F: and
| downloadedSP2 from web site and tried to execute winnt32.exe from the new
| site. NO DICE. I get a warning that this cannot be completed due to newer
| version on the computer. There is no way I could proceed!
| Regards
| Mel
!