128 Kbps Cable Modem

dsquare

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2004
My local cable provider is offering an "Ultra Light Package" with download speed of only 128 Kbps, that's only about twice the speed of dial-up. Is is worth it to sign up for this package, I don't download music files or other large files or playing internet games, only concerning with driver-downloading and surfing the web?

lonelypauly

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2005
How much are they asking? If you live in or around a city you could probably get DSL for cheap.

<b><font color=blue>Athlon64 3200+ Winchester/MSI Neo4 Platinum SLI/MSI 6800 Ultra/1 GB Kingston HyperX (Dual Channel)/74GB WD Raptor/600Watt Enermax Noisetaker/ Dual Mitsubishi 21 Inch Monitors</b></font color=blue>

RichPLS

Champion
Here, you can get 1.5 Mb second for under $40, so if this is like $10, it is a good deal...

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

Well you didn't say how much it costs but if its a cable line limited to 128kbs then you will actually be able to get 128kbs speed constant, whereas with a 56kbs dial-up modem you will never get 56kbs download speeds, at least mine never did, my families never did, and my friends never did.

You're thinking twice as fast as 56k but you never really get 56k on a dial-up connection, but you will get the 128kbs on a cable connection, as a matter of fact the difference will blow you away.

Keep in mind it doesn't matter what the speed you have, you can only receive as fast as the website you're downloading from can send it to you, so even with 128kbs receive capability, if the website can only send at 25kbs thats what speed you'll receive at.

But more and more websites today are sending much faster as a general rule, its actually becoming rare to stumble across a slow sight unless you're filesharing.

Well the bottomline is; if it cost you the same as your dial-up is costing you to get this 128kbs "Ultra Light Package" cable ISP service thats a definite Yes go for it.

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=2541&st=0#entry20385" target="_new">System Specs</A>

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by 4ryan6 on 06/01/05 05:59 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

dsquare

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2004
Thanks for all of your responds.
Here are the internet packages my cable provider is offering:

* Extreme: 5 MBps download, cost: $50
* Express: 3 MBps , $40
* Light : 256 Mbps , $30
* Ultra Light: 128 Mbps , $20

Again I will probably not be playing internet games or downloading music files, may be update patches for games and drivers, which is the best package for me?
Thanks All.