1024 cylinder limitations?

July 24, 2005 5:12:13 PM

Hi

I have 2 laptops running XP Home, both with 40 GB hard drives. In both
laptops the C:\ partition (NTFS) contains only the system files and
installed Program files. The Data files, My Documents, etc. are elsewhere.

However in the older one I have a C:\ partition which is 12 GB in size -
which is larger than the 1024 cylinder limit according to Partition Magic 8.
In the newer laptop the C:\ (NTFS) is smaller and when I tried to enlarge it
past the 1024 cylinder point, Partition Magic warned me not to do it, though
it would allow me to do it.

What risk am I running if I ignore PM's warning and go past that limit? PM's
docs were not very clear on this point. Apparently, this is a problem with
DOS, but since I am using NTFS why would I need to be warned or careful
anyway?

Thanks.
--
Jeff
Jeff@falsepart.com

Jeff wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have 2 laptops running XP Home, both with 40 GB hard drives. In both
> laptops the C:\ partition (NTFS) contains only the system files and
> installed Program files. The Data files, My Documents, etc. are elsewhere.
>
> However in the older one I have a C:\ partition which is 12 GB in size -
> which is larger than the 1024 cylinder limit according to Partition Magic 8.
> In the newer laptop the C:\ (NTFS) is smaller and when I tried to enlarge it
> past the 1024 cylinder point, Partition Magic warned me not to do it, though
> it would allow me to do it.
>
> What risk am I running if I ignore PM's warning and go past that limit? PM's
> docs were not very clear on this point. Apparently, this is a problem with
> DOS, but since I am using NTFS why would I need to be warned or careful
> anyway?

None, whatsoever. The old 1024-cylinder limit hasn't been relevant
since the advent of the FAT32 file system or versions of NTFS newer than
that of WinNT4. It's certainly irrelevant to any computer running
WinXP. The makers of PM are just a few years behind in updating their
documentation.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: