PATA & SATA simultaneously?

mulletchuck

Distinguished
May 29, 2005
I am wondering if it is possible to have an IDE
(PATA) HD in the computer, and also a SATA HD. I don't want to assume anything, but I am looking at buying a new HD, and my motherboard supports SATA, but I only have IDE (PATA) drives installed right now. Will I have a conflict if I have a PATA drive and a SATA drive in the system?

thanks

chuck

RichPLS

Champion
Yes, if your mobo has SATA and PATA controllers, you can use both or one and not the other.
Also, you can add a SATA or SCSI card if board does not have it onboard, and run both or all three.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

mulletchuck

Distinguished
May 29, 2005
Thanks for the quick response, man. Is there anything I need to do, if I am going to use the SATA drive as the drive with my OS on it?
chuck

RichPLS

Champion
If it is non-Raid, then select that drive as boot option in BIOS, and no add'l drivers should be nec'ry, should be on XP disk. If not, use F6 option during boot and insert floppy with SATA drivers.
I find it easier to only have the drive I want O/S connected until installation is complete, but have done it with other drives attached also.

So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

mulletchuck

Distinguished
May 29, 2005
cool. The plan is to remove my storage drive (200gb), install the SATA drive (250gb) as a slave, and make an image of my OS drive (40gb) onto the SATA (250gb) drive. then I can just remove the OS drive from the computer, and use the SATA (250gb) drive as the master, with my other storage drive (200gb).

chuck

RichPLS

Champion
SATA does not have master/slave relationship since it is on its own channel for each drive with no shares. Basically every SATA device is a master.

pat

Expert
Why should they conflict??? How do you think you will install Windows with a IDE cdrom and a SATA drive..

By the way, bfore you ask, your SATA drive is an IDE drive and the SATA controller is an IDE controller. SATA is only the interface between the controller and the drive. So yes, your drive might show up as an IDE drive and it is OK.. it will still be an IDE drive with a SATA interface. If your board has native(chipset) SATA support, then no drivers will be necessary. But you may have to make sure that RAID is not enabled for the controller you plan to use.

<font color=red>Sig space for rent. make your offer.</font color=red>

RichPLS

Champion
SATA was a necessary evolution since the PC camp decided against master/slave terminology...

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
What's your motherboard model?
If it's a new motherboard it will be very easy with the native SATA. If it's a little old you're going to have to load the drivers with a floppy. If that's the case I suggest to google your mobos model and SATA to see if anybody had problems doing it and printing the procedure they used.
I had a S754 mobo and it was a pain to load the drivers.

Nothing is as easy as it looks

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
For the Pentium boards I don't know which chipsets have native SATA. But now that you posted the model somebody that has a similar system can give you an answer.

Nothing is as easy as it looks