jeff

Hi guys

I am moving from an older laptop running XP Home to a new one also running
XP Home. I know I have to re-install al my programs and have largely already
done that. However, is there a way to transfer:
1. Outlook Express and IE6 settings and data?
2. IE6 remembered passwords?
3. My Network settings (both wireless and cable)?
4. Installed Printers?

Thanks.

Jeff

Jeff wrote:
> Hi guys
>
> I am moving from an older laptop running XP Home to a new one also running
> XP Home. I know I have to re-install al my programs and have largely already
> done that. However, is there a way to transfer:
> 1. Outlook Express and IE6 settings and data?
> 2. IE6 remembered passwords?
> 3. My Network settings (both wireless and cable)?
> 4. Installed Printers?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jeff

The Files and Settings Transfer Wizard can help with some of this, but
not the print drivers or (I don't believe) the network settings.

HOW TO Use Files and Settings Transfer Wizard in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;293118

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

1. I do not think that there is any way to transfer settings and data. You
must put it in manually.

2. There is also no way to transfer stored passwords. You must put it in by
going to the website, logging in, and when the prompt for storing passwords
comes up, say Yes.

3. This actually depends. If you are planning on throwing away the old
laptop, or you plan on being a host for another computer, then you have to
make the settings on your own. If you just plan on being a computer that
connects to the old laptop, you have nothing to do here.

4. If you are keeping the old computer, you mean sharing a printer. If you
plan on keeping the old laptop, and networking to it, then you must run
Network Setup Wizard on your old computer to share a printer. If you plan on
getting rid of the old laptop, then you must install it manually.

I hope that I answered your questions. If it did not, let me know

mydogisalab
Tech Geek
"Jeff" wrote:

> Hi guys
>
> I am moving from an older laptop running XP Home to a new one also running
> XP Home. I know I have to re-install al my programs and have largely already
> done that. However, is there a way to transfer:
> 1. Outlook Express and IE6 settings and data?
> 2. IE6 remembered passwords?
> 3. My Network settings (both wireless and cable)?
> 4. Installed Printers?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jeff

jeff

Thank you. That's what I thought.

Jeff

In news:A7F21F08-3291-49CB-8BF0-E9E73E1698CC@microsoft.com,
mydogisalab <mydogisalab@discussions.microsoft.com> posted:
| | 1. I do not think that there is any way to transfer settings and
| | data. You must put it in manually.
| |
| | 2. There is also no way to transfer stored passwords. You must put
| | it in by going to the website, logging in, and when the prompt for
| | storing passwords comes up, say Yes.
| |
| | 3. This actually depends. If you are planning on throwing away the
| | old laptop, or you plan on being a host for another computer, then
| | you have to make the settings on your own. If you just plan on
| | being a computer that connects to the old laptop, you have nothing
| | to do here.
| |
| | 4. If you are keeping the old computer, you mean sharing a printer.
| | If you plan on keeping the old laptop, and networking to it, then
| | you must run Network Setup Wizard on your old computer to share a
| | printer. If you plan on getting rid of the old laptop, then you
| | must install it manually.
| |
| | I hope that I answered your questions. If it did not, let me know
| |
| | mydogisalab
| | Tech Geek
| | "Jeff" wrote:
| |
| | | Hi guys
| | |
| | | I am moving from an older laptop running XP Home to a new one
| | | also running XP Home. I know I have to re-install al my programs
| | | and have largely already done that. However, is there a way to
| | | transfer:
| | | 1. Outlook Express and IE6 settings and data?
| | | 2. IE6 remembered passwords?
| | | 3. My Network settings (both wireless and cable)?
| | | 4. Installed Printers?
| | |
| | | Thanks.
| | |