MN-700 networks but still no Internet

ray

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001

Trying to figure out why the network cannot connect to the
Internet. My original post is at the bottom.

Well, the WAN screen asks for the information the ISP
needs, which is the MAC off the cable modem.

The LAN MAC is different than the modem MAC. Is not the
router MAC the same as the LAN MAC?

Then what does cloning the MAC address off my desktop
network adapter to the router fix if the ISP needs the
modem MAC?

apply the changes.

>You should NEVER use the MAC address of your cable modem
as the WAN MAC
>address of a router.
>
>Ray wrote:
>> My intent is to have the MN-700 used as a router for my
>> desktop and wireless for my laptop. Seems ordinary. I
>> have a good internet cable connection, initialize the
MN-
>> 700, but during setup it says I have no internet
>> connection from either computer. But I was able to do
the
>> new firmware update. Urgghh.
>>
>> The advice I received was to clone the MAC address.
Well.

>> What's the deal with MAC addresses??!!
>> In the Management Tool , under Home, the client list
shows
>> my desktop, with an IP address host name and a MAC
>> address, which is connected to the MN-700.
>>
>> In Base Station information, there is a LAN MAC address
>> and a plain MAC address. The last is the same MAC
address
>> as my cable modem.
>>
>> Of course, on the home tab, the WAN setting says the
>> broadband is disconnected.
>>
>> Under the WAN settings tab, dynamic is checked, the
host
>> name is blank, the MAC address is the same as for my
cable
>> modem.
>>
>> Any ideas??? Thanks for your help.
>>

>.

If the desktop was connected to the cable modem before you got the router,
clone the desktop MAC. If the laptop was connected, clone the laptop MAC.
DON'T clone the cable modem MAC.

"Ray" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Trying to figure out why the network cannot connect to the
> Internet. My original post is at the bottom.
>
> Well, the WAN screen asks for the information the ISP
> needs, which is the MAC off the cable modem.
>
> The LAN MAC is different than the modem MAC. Is not the
> router MAC the same as the LAN MAC?
>
> Then what does cloning the MAC address off my desktop
> network adapter to the router fix if the ISP needs the
> modem MAC?

ray

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001

Thanks for the input. It's confusing on the WAN page
where it says to "enter the MAC address the ISP is looking
for". That's the MAC off the modem, they don't care about
my little network adapters. I can hook up any one of my
computers to the cable modem with no problem. When I
changed modems, I called the ISP with the new MAC and
everything was good to go. If I were plugging into larger
network, the IT guys would need the MAC off my network
adapter, such is the case where I work.

Halfway through the setup utility the program checks for
an internet connection and it's not there. But it was
earlier before connecting the MN-700. I get the window
saying reset the modem, did so to no avail. Reset the MN-
700 with no luck.

I can log onto my LAN using my wireless laptop, but no
internet there nor at the wired desktop.

Anymore ideas?

joker

Ray the reason you never clone the Cable modem's MAC address is because
no two networking devices are supposed to have the same MAC address. By
cloning the MAc address of the cable modem you are crating two devices
right next to each other with the same address. This causes serious
issues with networking & the internet because of the rule about MAc
addresses.

Ray wrote:

> Trying to figure out why the network cannot connect to the
> Internet. My original post is at the bottom.
>
> Well, the WAN screen asks for the information the ISP
> needs, which is the MAC off the cable modem.
>
> The LAN MAC is different than the modem MAC. Is not the
> router MAC the same as the LAN MAC?
>
> Then what does cloning the MAC address off my desktop
> network adapter to the router fix if the ISP needs the
> modem MAC?

joker

Do not enter the MAC off of the modem ever into a router. Like I said
earlier click on the clone MAc address button & apply the changes.
After doing that you may have to do a power cycle. That is unplug both
modem & router for 10 seconds to 5 minutes. That should get you back on
the Internet.

Ray wrote:
> Thanks for the input. It's confusing on the WAN page
> where it says to "enter the MAC address the ISP is looking
> for". That's the MAC off the modem, they don't care about
> my little network adapters. I can hook up any one of my
> computers to the cable modem with no problem. When I
> changed modems, I called the ISP with the new MAC and
> everything was good to go. If I were plugging into larger
> network, the IT guys would need the MAC off my network
> adapter, such is the case where I work.
>
> Halfway through the setup utility the program checks for
> an internet connection and it's not there. But it was
> earlier before connecting the MN-700. I get the window
> saying reset the modem, did so to no avail. Reset the MN-
> 700 with no luck.
>
> I can log onto my LAN using my wireless laptop, but no
> internet there nor at the wired desktop.
>
> Anymore ideas?

ray

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001

Tried it, no luck. I notice in the Management Tool WAN
Settings it shows the broadband is disconnected. It shows
the WAN IP as 169.XXX.XXX.XX When I release and attempt
to renew it cannot. The LAN IP is in the usual 192 range.

Anymore ideas out there? I thought this guy was supposed
to be easy!

joker

If you still don't understand please go to the following link it will
give you further instructions.

http://www.geocities.com/v_2joecr/images/bart_and_google_search.gif

joker wrote:

> Do not enter the MAC off of the modem ever into a router. Like I said
> earlier click on the clone MAc address button & apply the changes. After
> doing that you may have to do a power cycle. That is unplug both modem
> & router for 10 seconds to 5 minutes. That should get you back on the
> Internet.
>
> Ray wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the input. It's confusing on the WAN page where it says to
>> "enter the MAC address the ISP is looking for". That's the MAC off
>> the modem, they don't care about my little network adapters. I can
>> hook up any one of my computers to the cable modem with no problem.
>> When I changed modems, I called the ISP with the new MAC and
>> everything was good to go. If I were plugging into larger network,
>> the IT guys would need the MAC off my network adapter, such is the
>> case where I work.
>>
>> Halfway through the setup utility the program checks for an internet
>> connection and it's not there. But it was earlier before connecting
>> the MN-700. I get the window saying reset the modem, did so to no
>> avail. Reset the MN-
>> 700 with no luck.
>>
>> I can log onto my LAN using my wireless laptop, but no internet there
>> nor at the wired desktop.
>>
>> Anymore ideas?

1. who is your ISP?
2. you said you had a new cable modem. were you ever able to connect a
computer directly to that cable modem and surf (bypassing the MN700)?
3. were you successfully able to clone the MAC address from THAT
computer into the MN700?
4. What is in the log?
5. what is the make and model of the new modem?

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 11:14:08 -0700, "Ray"

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

ray

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001

I use Adelphia cable, they issue IP addresses dynamically.

I currently am using my desktop connected directly to the
Linksys cable modem. I've cloned the MAC from the
ethernet card to the MN-700 successfully, yet no internet
still.

The log shows me successfully logging on to the MN-700.

Any ideas?

what is the exact model number of the Linksys cable modem?
can you go into the base station log, copy all of it to the clipboard and
paste into your reply?

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist