External Hard Drive

July 24, 2005 9:41:40 PM

I have a Western Gigital Hard Drive in an external case
for connection with a USB port. My Device Manager
recognizes it as a mass storage device and is wotking properly. It says it
is in USB port 0.
How can I establish an address so I can use it? When I use windows explorer
it just shows usb port.
What am I missing here?
Thanks
Bill Johnson

More about : external hard drive

Anonymous
July 24, 2005 9:41:41 PM

You have to partition and format the external drive.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

"Bill Johnson" <billjohnson@hot.rr.com> wrote in message
news:o pQEe.17618$gL1.17336@tornado.texas.rr.com...
>I have a Western Gigital Hard Drive in an external case
> for connection with a USB port. My Device Manager
> recognizes it as a mass storage device and is wotking properly. It says it
> is in USB port 0.
> How can I establish an address so I can use it? When I use windows
> explorer it just shows usb port.
> What am I missing here?
> Thanks
> Bill Johnson

Anonymous
July 24, 2005 9:41:41 PM

Have you formatted the drive using Computer Management?
Go to Start > Administration Tools > Computer Mangement. From the left
side select Disk Mangement. The drive should show up there. You can
then format and assign drive letter to it.

--
BSchwarz
July 28, 2005 1:10:37 AM

Finally figured out how to format the drive. All is well now thanks for all
the help.
"BSchwarz" <BSchwarz.1sorua@no-mx.gateway.localhost> wrote in message

> Have you formatted the drive using Computer Management?
> Go to Start > Administration Tools > Computer Mangement. From the left
> side select Disk Mangement. The drive should show up there. You can
> then format and assign drive letter to it.
>

> --
> BSchwarz

August 12, 2005 3:08:04 PM

I apologize for posting this as a reply, but the system won't let me generate
a new question.

I am trying to restore a backup file from an external hard drive, but
Windows XP doesn't recognize the drive. Here are the facts. About a week ago,
the hard drive on my notebook died. I took it to the shop and got it
replaced. I've now reinstalled XP and added all of the service packs and
releases available. My external hard drive is a Maxtor 3000LE (B) USB 2.0
device.

Earlier in the week, I did the same thing and was able to access the
external drive. I screwed up restoring the backup (I included Windows files)
and so I had to reformat the C drive on the notebook and reinstall XP. This
time, after performing all of the updates, it doesn't show the external drive.

If I go into device manager, I can see it under "disk drives." If I go into
Administrative Tools | Computer Management, I can see it there also. In this
case, however, it shows its status as "Basic 114.49 GB Online" and "114.49 GB
Unallocated."

The external drive was fully functional the last time I accessed it, a
couple of days ago.

Any thoughts?
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 6:18:39 PM

You may need to take ownership of the drive.
http://rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Taking_ownership

--
Ron Sommer

"Jack Aubrey" <JackAubrey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I apologize for posting this as a reply, but the system won't let me
>generate
> a new question.
>
> I am trying to restore a backup file from an external hard drive, but
> Windows XP doesn't recognize the drive. Here are the facts. About a week
> ago,
> the hard drive on my notebook died. I took it to the shop and got it
> replaced. I've now reinstalled XP and added all of the service packs and
> releases available. My external hard drive is a Maxtor 3000LE (B) USB 2.0
> device.
>
> Earlier in the week, I did the same thing and was able to access the
> external drive. I screwed up restoring the backup (I included Windows
> files)
> and so I had to reformat the C drive on the notebook and reinstall XP.
> This
> time, after performing all of the updates, it doesn't show the external
> drive.
>
> If I go into device manager, I can see it under "disk drives." If I go
> into
> Administrative Tools | Computer Management, I can see it there also. In
> this
> case, however, it shows its status as "Basic 114.49 GB Online" and "114.49
> GB
> Unallocated."
>
> The external drive was fully functional the last time I accessed it, a
> couple of days ago.
>
> Any thoughts?
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 6:18:40 PM

Thanks for the tip, but that doesn't apply here. I can't "see" the drive in
My Computer. From research I have done, this problem is not uncommon and
appears to result from having the USB drive plugged in while reformatting the
C drive and then reinstalling Windows XP on it. I gather it has to do with a
bad drive signature.

The workaround I'm trying right now involves using GetDataBack for NTFS to
"recover" all of the data on the external drive and store it on a new
external. This is pretty kludgy and I'm sure there has to be a better way.
Anyway, for now I'm hoping this will work.

"Ron Sommer" wrote:

> You may need to take ownership of the drive.
> http://rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Taking_ownership
>
> --
> Ron Sommer
>
> "Jack Aubrey" <JackAubrey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I apologize for posting this as a reply, but the system won't let me
> >generate
> > a new question.
> >
> > I am trying to restore a backup file from an external hard drive, but
> > Windows XP doesn't recognize the drive. Here are the facts. About a week
> > ago,
> > the hard drive on my notebook died. I took it to the shop and got it
> > replaced. I've now reinstalled XP and added all of the service packs and
> > releases available. My external hard drive is a Maxtor 3000LE (B) USB 2.0
> > device.
> >
> > Earlier in the week, I did the same thing and was able to access the
> > external drive. I screwed up restoring the backup (I included Windows
> > files)
> > and so I had to reformat the C drive on the notebook and reinstall XP.
> > This
> > time, after performing all of the updates, it doesn't show the external
> > drive.
> >
> > If I go into device manager, I can see it under "disk drives." If I go
> > into
> > Administrative Tools | Computer Management, I can see it there also. In
> > this
> > case, however, it shows its status as "Basic 114.49 GB Online" and "114.49
> > GB
> > Unallocated."
> >
> > The external drive was fully functional the last time I accessed it, a
> > couple of days ago.
> >
> > Any thoughts?

Anonymous
August 13, 2005 10:26:35 AM

"Jack Aubrey" <JackAubrey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I apologize for posting this as a reply, but the system won't let me
>generate
> a new question.
>
> I am trying to restore a backup file from an external hard drive, but
> Windows XP doesn't recognize the drive. Here are the facts. About a week
> ago,
> the hard drive on my notebook died. I took it to the shop and got it
> replaced. I've now reinstalled XP and added all of the service packs and
> releases available. My external hard drive is a Maxtor 3000LE (B) USB 2.0
> device.
>
> Earlier in the week, I did the same thing and was able to access the
> external drive. I screwed up restoring the backup (I included Windows
> files)
> and so I had to reformat the C drive on the notebook and reinstall XP.
> This
> time, after performing all of the updates, it doesn't show the external
> drive.
>
> If I go into device manager, I can see it under "disk drives." If I go
> into
> Administrative Tools | Computer Management, I can see it there also. In
> this
> case, however, it shows its status as "Basic 114.49 GB Online" and "114.49
> GB
> Unallocated."
>
> The external drive was fully functional the last time I accessed it, a
> couple of days ago.
>
> Any thoughts?

If you can see the drive in 'Computer Management' WINXP is 'seeing' the
drive but I suspect it does not have a drive letter allocated. Allocate a
drive letter to the drive in Computer Management and all should be well.
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 6:57:52 PM

If only I could do that, I'd be delighted. That option is not available when
I right mouse click. It is available on the boot and CD drives, but not this
external. When I first reformatted and re-installed, XP saw the device and
assigned it a drive letter. When I reformatted and reinstalled again, it no
longer assigned a drive letter.

"Edward W. Thompson" wrote:

> "Jack Aubrey" <JackAubrey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I apologize for posting this as a reply, but the system won't let me
> >generate
> > a new question.
> >
> > I am trying to restore a backup file from an external hard drive, but
> > Windows XP doesn't recognize the drive. Here are the facts. About a week
> > ago,
> > the hard drive on my notebook died. I took it to the shop and got it
> > replaced. I've now reinstalled XP and added all of the service packs and
> > releases available. My external hard drive is a Maxtor 3000LE (B) USB 2.0
> > device.
> >
> > Earlier in the week, I did the same thing and was able to access the
> > external drive. I screwed up restoring the backup (I included Windows
> > files)
> > and so I had to reformat the C drive on the notebook and reinstall XP.
> > This
> > time, after performing all of the updates, it doesn't show the external
> > drive.
> >
> > If I go into device manager, I can see it under "disk drives." If I go
> > into
> > Administrative Tools | Computer Management, I can see it there also. In
> > this
> > case, however, it shows its status as "Basic 114.49 GB Online" and "114.49
> > GB
> > Unallocated."
> >
> > The external drive was fully functional the last time I accessed it, a
> > couple of days ago.
> >
> > Any thoughts?
>
> If you can see the drive in 'Computer Management' WINXP is 'seeing' the
> drive but I suspect it does not have a drive letter allocated. Allocate a
> drive letter to the drive in Computer Management and all should be well.

Anonymous
August 14, 2005 10:16:22 AM

> If only I could do that, I'd be delighted. That option is not available
> when
> I right mouse click. It is available on the boot and CD drives, but not
> this
> external. When I first reformatted and re-installed, XP saw the device and
> assigned it a drive letter. When I reformatted and reinstalled again, it
> no
> longer assigned a drive letter.
>
> "Edward W. Thompson" wrote:
>

>> "Jack Aubrey" <JackAubrey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I apologize for posting this as a reply, but the system won't let me
>> >generate
>> > a new question.
>> >
>> > I am trying to restore a backup file from an external hard drive, but
>> > Windows XP doesn't recognize the drive. Here are the facts. About a
>> > week
>> > ago,
>> > the hard drive on my notebook died. I took it to the shop and got it
>> > replaced. I've now reinstalled XP and added all of the service packs
>> > and
>> > releases available. My external hard drive is a Maxtor 3000LE (B) USB
>> > 2.0
>> > device.
>> >
>> > Earlier in the week, I did the same thing and was able to access the
>> > external drive. I screwed up restoring the backup (I included Windows
>> > files)
>> > and so I had to reformat the C drive on the notebook and reinstall XP.
>> > This
>> > time, after performing all of the updates, it doesn't show the external
>> > drive.
>> >
>> > If I go into device manager, I can see it under "disk drives." If I go
>> > into
>> > Administrative Tools | Computer Management, I can see it there also. In
>> > this
>> > case, however, it shows its status as "Basic 114.49 GB Online" and
>> > "114.49
>> > GB
>> > Unallocated."
>> >
>> > The external drive was fully functional the last time I accessed it, a
>> > couple of days ago.
>> >
>> > Any thoughts?
>>
>> If you can see the drive in 'Computer Management' WINXP is 'seeing' the
>> drive but I suspect it does not have a drive letter allocated. Allocate
>> drive letter to the drive in Computer Management and all should be well.

I suggest you visit http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic8213.html where there is
a discussion on the problem you have with various approaches that appeared
to have 'fixed' the problem.

If you find a solution you may care to post it as it will likely help
others.

Good luck.
!