Invalid BOOT.INI

I haved installed windows 2000 pro in one HD. in a second HD i installed
windows xp pro. but once I was done and i restarted the computer, i get an
error when booting :

-Invalid BOOT.INI file
-Booting from c:\winnt

therefore i don't get to choose from the two systems which one I want to
use, it just starts windows 2000. what shoud i do?

thaks.

How about posting the contents of boot.ini? Note that I asume Windows XP is
NOT on your Primary Harddrive on the Primary IDE chanel in which case it
shouldn't even have a boot.ini in its root. Also it shouldn't have
NTDETECT.COM nor ntldr nor arcldr.exe and arcsetup.exe in the root. But
then this should be the case upon installation of the Second Op sys.

--
George Hester
_______________________________
"Gomezzz" <Gomezzz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I haved installed windows 2000 pro in one HD. in a second HD i installed
> windows xp pro. but once I was done and i restarted the computer, i get an
> error when booting :
>
> -Invalid BOOT.INI file
> -Booting from c:\winnt
>
> therefore i don't get to choose from the two systems which one I want to
> use, it just starts windows 2000. what shoud i do?
>
> thaks.

Hi,

Boot the WinXP CD, load the Recovery Console by hitting 'r' when prompted.
Logon to the installation, then run these from the command prompt:

del /y C:\boot.ini
bootcfg /rebuild

The first assumes that C:\ is the system (boot) partition.

HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console in Windows XP [Q307654]
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307654

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Gomezzz" <Gomezzz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I haved installed windows 2000 pro in one HD. in a second HD i installed
> windows xp pro. but once I was done and i restarted the computer, i get an
> error when booting :
>
> -Invalid BOOT.INI file
> -Booting from c:\winnt
>
> therefore i don't get to choose from the two systems which one I want to
> use, it just starts windows 2000. what shoud i do?
>
> thaks.

kelly

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330184

--