PC133 on a PC100 System

trancenation

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2004
Hey guys, is it possible for me to install PC133 DIMMs on a Compaq Deskpro EN 450+ even though it says I should buy PC100 Memory. What I know is that the PC133 should run at PC100 on a PC100 system right? Anyway, I'm asking this because PC133 modules are a lot cheaper than PC100... pleas help me out, thanks

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by trancenation on 05/30/05 10:46 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
That is correct - PC133 should work fine at PC100.

There may be other issues, however. There are a lot of configurations of the chips on the module that some mobos don't like (double-sided, chip density, etc.). I don't know the details, but I'll bet Crashman does - he should be around before too long. :)

Mike.

RichPLS

Champion
I have done it a couple of times with success, and one time without...

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

BrentUnitedMem

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
In most cases yes, PC-133 will run on a PC-100 system.

Make sure that your PC is using 168-pin DIMM and not something like SIMM memory.

Another thing to be aware of is that some older PC-100 systems have a problem running memory modules built using (32Mx8) memory. (16Mx8) and (8Mx8) memory chip configurations are more popular for older systems.

<font color=green>*****
"Memory with lifetime warranty? So, whose lifetime is that?"
<A HREF="http://www.brentcrowley.com/" target="_new">homepage</A>
<font color=red>AIM BrentUnitedMem

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It should work fine. A lot of older systems have a chip density limit of 16MB, so that an 8-chip module supports 128MB or less, and a 16-chip module supports 256MB or less. I didn't look up the chipset for your board however.

Most technicians are idiots, putting high density RAM in older systems were high-density isn't supported, then claiming "it must not be PC133 compatable".

If your system is using an Intel 810 or 815 series chipset, it supports high density, anything older from Intel won't. Also, 810 and 815 series chipsets have a maximum RAM capacity of 512MB. Most VIA chipsets also support high density RAM, with even greater capacity limits.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

trancenation

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2004
I would like to thank you all for your replies, the is no problem running PC133 on the Deskpro, anyway another problem came up, I need 3 volt sticks and the ones I got from kingston are 3.3v.

Thanks again people :D

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
3V is an approximation for 3.3v, they both mean the same thing, getting power directly from the 3.3v line of the power supply.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>