Wake on ring is a problem

July 25, 2005 12:30:02 AM

Hi all

Other than using the BIOS to disable wake on ring can it be done in Windows
XP?

Kind regards

Mick

More about : wake ring problem

July 25, 2005 12:30:03 AM

In news:D c0q31$km7$1@news.e7even.com,
Mick <solutions@sherwood.e7even.com> had this to say:

> Hi all
>
> Other than using the BIOS to disable wake on ring can it be done in
> Windows XP?
>
> Kind regards
>
> Mick

Not normally - as it's a BIOS option and the OS isn't even on at the time
any changes made within windowows would have no effect on that. On the other
hand your BIOS vendor may have included a tool to make certain changes from
within the OS though I wouldn't trust them further than I can throw them.

Galen

without them."

Sherlock Holmes
July 25, 2005 11:17:49 PM

Galen

Thanks for your help, normally I would do this via the BIOS, but am unable
to find the usual Wake on Ring/Wake on LAN etc. I normally find this
setting under "Power Management" but on this "WIN FAST" mobo it's not there.

Am I missing something or should I be looking elsewhere?

Thanks again for your help.

Kind Regards

Mick

news:o %234XRcIkFHA.2044@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> In news:D c0q31$km7$1@news.e7even.com,
> Mick <solutions@sherwood.e7even.com> had this to say:

>> Hi all
>>
>> Other than using the BIOS to disable wake on ring can it be done in
>> Windows XP?
>>
>> Kind regards
>>
>> Mick
>
> Not normally - as it's a BIOS option and the OS isn't even on at the time
> any changes made within windowows would have no effect on that. On the
> other hand your BIOS vendor may have included a tool to make certain
> changes from within the OS though I wouldn't trust them further than I can
> throw them.
>
> Galen
> --
>
> "But there are always some lunatics about. It would be a dull world
> without them."
>
> Sherlock Holmes

July 25, 2005 11:17:50 PM

NO! Wake up on Ring/LAN needs to be implemented in BIOS in order for it to
work.

It may also be under:

Devices

sections.

"Mick" <solutions@sherwood.e7even.com> wrote in message
news:D c3a7j$8lh$1@news.e7even.com...
> Galen
>
> Thanks for your help, normally I would do this via the BIOS, but am
> unable to find the usual Wake on Ring/Wake on LAN etc. I normally find
> this setting under "Power Management" but on this "WIN FAST" mobo it's not
> there.
>
> Am I missing something or should I be looking elsewhere?
>
> Thanks again for your help.
>
> Kind Regards
>
> Mick
>
> "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:o %234XRcIkFHA.2044@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> In news:D c0q31$km7$1@news.e7even.com,
>> Mick <solutions@sherwood.e7even.com> had this to say:

>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> Other than using the BIOS to disable wake on ring can it be done in
>>> Windows XP?
>>>
>>> Kind regards
>>>
>>> Mick
>>
>> Not normally - as it's a BIOS option and the OS isn't even on at the time
>> any changes made within windowows would have no effect on that. On the
>> other hand your BIOS vendor may have included a tool to make certain
>> changes from within the OS though I wouldn't trust them further than I
>> can throw them.
>>
>> Galen
>> --
>>
>> "But there are always some lunatics about. It would be a dull world
>> without them."
>>
>> Sherlock Holmes

July 26, 2005 2:07:37 AM

Yves

Thanks, this problem occurs when the PC is on standby, is it therefore
possible to stop this from happening via windows, as I still cant find it in
the BIOS unless of course it is known by another name.

Kind Regards

Mick

> NO! Wake up on Ring/LAN needs to be implemented in BIOS in order for it
> to work.
>
> It may also be under:

> Devices
>
> sections.
>

> "Mick" <solutions@sherwood.e7even.com> wrote in message
> news:D c3a7j$8lh$1@news.e7even.com...
>> Galen
>>
>> Thanks for your help, normally I would do this via the BIOS, but am
>> unable to find the usual Wake on Ring/Wake on LAN etc. I normally find
>> this setting under "Power Management" but on this "WIN FAST" mobo it's
>> not there.
>>
>> Am I missing something or should I be looking elsewhere?
>>
>> Thanks again for your help.
>>
>> Kind Regards
>>
>> Mick
>>
>> "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:o %234XRcIkFHA.2044@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>>> In news:D c0q31$km7$1@news.e7even.com,
>>> Mick <solutions@sherwood.e7even.com> had this to say:
>>>
>>> My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:

>>> Not normally - as it's a BIOS option and the OS isn't even on at the
>>> time any changes made within windowows would have no effect on that. On
>>> the other hand your BIOS vendor may have included a tool to make certain
>>> changes from within the OS though I wouldn't trust them further than I
>>> can throw them.
>>>
>>> Galen
>>> --
>>>
>>> "But there are always some lunatics about. It would be a dull world
>>> without them."
>>>
>>> Sherlock Holmes

Anonymous
July 26, 2005 2:07:38 AM

The wake on ring is in the following location on my computer

In the BIOS

Select the Power menu
Select the Power Up Control
Enter
Here there are two modem power up settings. Both are disabled on my
computer.

--
Don
Vancouver, USA

"Mick" <solutions@sherwood.e7even.com> wrote in message
news:D c3k5s$mj6$1@news.e7even.com...
> Yves
>
> Thanks, this problem occurs when the PC is on standby, is it therefore
> possible to stop this from happening via windows, as I still cant find it
> in the BIOS unless of course it is known by another name.
>
> Kind Regards
>
> Mick
>

> "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in message
>> NO! Wake up on Ring/LAN needs to be implemented in BIOS in order for it
>> to work.
>>
>> It may also be under:

>> Devices
>>
>> sections.
>>

>> "Mick" <solutions@sherwood.e7even.com> wrote in message
>> news:D c3a7j$8lh$1@news.e7even.com...
>>> Galen
>>>
>>> Thanks for your help, normally I would do this via the BIOS, but am
>>> unable to find the usual Wake on Ring/Wake on LAN etc. I normally find
>>> this setting under "Power Management" but on this "WIN FAST" mobo it's
>>> not there.
>>>
>>> Am I missing something or should I be looking elsewhere?
>>>
>>> Thanks again for your help.
>>>
>>> Kind Regards
>>>
>>> Mick
>>>
>>> "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> news:o %234XRcIkFHA.2044@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

July 29, 2005 2:50:58 AM

Thanks everyone for your help.

I eventually found it in PCIPME and disabled it. This is a new one on me,
you learn something every day.

Thanks again

Mick

!