[Paint] DH/SoB Painting ideas?

So of course with the holiday just passing and my growing -- or rather
rekindled -- interest in 40k I've managed to get together some cash between
presents and presents to myself ;) to start building my army. I've gotten
the first stage done at least -- I've settled on a Daemonhunters main force
with some Sisters of Battle mixed in for fun and profit. Now I'm trying to
decide just how my paint scheme will go. I think my main force will be the
DH, but I want to paint the Witch Hunters to match in of course.

I like the traditional look of the Grey knights and other DH forces listed
in the codex, but I can hardly ever satisfy myself with being so plain and
vanilla. The Grey Knights will without a doubt don silver PA, but I'm
looking for alternatives for the robes and sashes and such. I dunno -- I'm
very torn, I like the classic look with the scarlet and crimson, but I want
to customize it to my own tastes. I'm just stubborn in the way that I don't
want my army looking like everybody else's -- and I don't think I'm alone in
that respect. At the same time, I'm not the type to bastardize my army by
making it turquoise with pink and orange trim. Not that there's anything
wrong with that -- just not my style.

So getting to my point here, does anyone have any good links to some painted
DH or WH armies so I could ste... err... borrow some ideas? Anyone have any
advise on how to create a custom, yet classic looking color scheme for my
army? At this point I'd really like to find a good place to look at what
others have done with them, and modify that to suit my needs. The rule book
and codex has disappointingly few images to get some ideas from.

Thanks a lot to anyone who took the time to attempt to make sense of this
hash I'm posting, and many more to anyone who can give me some good info.

--JS

"Josh Stedman" <groups@steddyj.mailcan.com> wrote in message

<snip>

> Now I'm trying to decide just how my paint scheme will go. I think my
> main force will be the DH, but I want to paint the Witch Hunters to match
> in of course.

<snip>

> So getting to my point here, does anyone have any good links to some
> painted DH or WH armies so I could ste... err... borrow some ideas?

Lots of pictures at Cool Mini or Not and best of all you can search for
specific miniatures:
http://www.coolminiornot.com/browse
Set Category to SF, Manufacturer to GW, and type in "sisters" in the Search
Description and you'll get plenty of SoB pictures. Repeat using "daemon
hunter" "inquisitor" "gray knight" etc, etc. You also might want to set the
Order By field to Rating (Descending) so you'll get to see the nicer painted
figures first.

Whenever I'm thinking about how to paint a miniature I'll usually search for
it on CMoN to see what other people have done to get ideas.

Hope that helps.

--

-smithdoerr

Josh Stedman wrote:
<snip>

>>>Now I'm trying to decide just how my paint scheme will go.
>>
>>Grey / silver accented by black, red, and white would seem to be the order
>>of
>>the day...
>

> Yes yes, Like I said the classic. I like classics, but I like them to have
> my own touch. Although in this case I've yet to find a better alternative
> that will still suit the style and feel of the DH forces. I might settle
> for the traditional colors, and my army will still look wicked awesome, but
> in the back of my mind it will still be bland without changing something
> around. Guess it's just time to hone my skills with green stuff.

I remeber back when I bourght my first Grey Knights (RT era)I read in
some fluff the though they were called "grey" the armor was actually
gold (may have been WD or Space Hulk) So that is an option. I liked the
silver idea ( and my space marines are gold)and steeled on Testor's
Metal Masters Stainles Steel. I also tried "bright aluminum" (too
bright) and "Titainium" (too Dark but a good Chaos Color or maybe Tau?)
They are availiable for airbrush (~$3) or spray can (~$7) Then you can
go with traditional robe colors.

<snip>

> Of course. Again I need to be more clear, forgive my inexperience. I meant
> to say a DH/WH combined army, not merly GK/SoB. At the very least I need
> more to flesh out my combat chart, but I mean to make use of the full army
> list of both regiments, adjusting for what will suit the situation best. So
> many options with this army, even if it means about a million models.
>
> This *is* fun, right?

The Sister Oreder of the Argent shroud is silver/chainmail/etc w/ white
robes. IIRC. I have more time than mohney so I usually pick an army
that I have a paint idea for then buy that army. (or Plan tobauy that
army --next "payday") I did not do taht for the eldar and so I have a
bunch of eldar ($200) sitting aorund not even put together (ACK!)

>>>At this point I'd really like to find a good place to look at what
>>>others have done with them, and modify that to suit my needs.
>>>The rule book and codex has disappointingly few images to
>>>get some ideas from.
>>>
>>>Thanks a lot to anyone who took the time to attempt to make
>>>sense of this hash I'm posting, and many more to anyone who
>>>can give me some good info.
>>
>>Good luck...
>

> Luck? I think I might need a miracle.
>
> Thanks for the advice.

DH/WH/AH ,ake great ways to get a lot of small (human) forces and put
them together. Attached IG is the ony cost ($$) efeciant way to go for
me. Though I did buy my 1st Box of Bugs...

Joe [/lurk] Boster

Desert Lurker entered the world pub known as rec.games.miniatures.warhammer
and said...

> Josh Stedman wrote:
> <snip>

<SNIPPED IT EVERYTHING>

URGLEFLUmPH, My brain hurts after reading that, learn to use a Spell
checker... PLEASE!

--
Jim M
posted on this day, the 4135th of September 1993

"Look alive. Here comes a buzzard." -- Walt Kelly (Pogo)

http://jimac.tripod.com

Enygma

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2002

Well for inquisition style stuff although red/crimson is traditional,
any sinister style colour would work to. Maybe black, dark blue or
royal purple?

I normally pick 3 main colours per model, 2 complementary and 1
contrasting. I also like to tie all the units in my army together with
a common theme which is very important for armies with troops painted
in different schemes like inquisition. I would tend to go with painting
sashes/robes the same colour on all your models as a common theme and
to have it contrast with the main 2 colours of your models. Visors and
details (like pouches and belts) can also be in this colour. If the
grey knights are going to have silver power armour a dark colour (like
purple) would contrast well. What colour are your sisters of battle
going to be? If you want them black then red would be the best colour
as it contrasts with both (I know, you want to avoid red). If you went
for a dark colour like purple for contrast then you might want to paint
them in light colours as well - white works well on sisters (I think
there are some photos in the various codex/40K rulebook of sisters done
in this scheme).

Of course, basing all your models in the same style helps to.
Hope that helps,
Rykk