Question about RAM specs

sodium

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2001
I was wanting to buy some ram and wanted to know how to spot quality RAM. I already know the difference between PC-133 , PC-100, DDR-400 (PC-3200) , DDR-333 (PC-2700) and so forth. I also know that the lower the CAS latency the better, i.e. 2.5 is faster than 3. The thing I'm not sure about is the #'s that refer to... hmm, i guess you call it the architecture. Like how some RAM is 64x64 and other times you'll see 32x8. I'm wondering what do these #'s mean and what is the best quality? What in your opinions is "good enuf"?

Thanx in advance to those whom take the time to read & answer my question. :)

BrentUnitedMem

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
Quality memory is defined by the reputation of the company and the chips they use.

Some people are of the opinion that quality memory is memory that has good performance. Not entirely true. You want stable memory as well. CL2 memory performs better than CL3, however it's a good bet that CL3 memory is compatible with more motherboards, and crashes applications less often.

For games, CL2 is better. For accounting/database applications you want CL3.

Quality memory chips:
Samsung, Micron, Infineon, Hynix. (Samsung/Micron is usually preferred over Infineon/Hynix)

<font color=green>*****
"Memory with lifetime warranty? So, whose lifetime is that?"
<A HREF="http://www.brentcrowley.com/" target="_new">homepage</A>
<font color=red>AIM BrentUnitedMem

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
To answer the last part of your question:

The 64x64, 32x8, 16x16, etc. is a combination of the addressing matrix used on the chip itself and the configuration of chips on the module. In and of themselves, I dont' think they have anything to do with a particular module being bad/good or for overclockability.

I would expect its possible that it may be the reason/part of the reason that so-n-so brand RAM doesn't overclock well, or doesn't work on "Y" brand mobo, etc. that's generally not a problem with quality brand memory (as long as its on the mobo's QVL).

Mike.

BrentUnitedMem

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
be careful here..

x64 usually refers to the module specification, whereas (32Mx8) and (16Mx16) are chip configurations.

Module specification:
128MB = 16Mx64 ECC or REGISTERED= 16Mx72
256MB = 32Mx64 = 32Mx72
512MB = 64Mx64 = 64Mx72
1GB = 128Mx64 = 128Mx72

popular chip configurations for 256MB module:

256MB = 32Mx64 = (32Mx8)x8 chips, (16Mx16)x8 chips, (16x8)x16 chips.
etc..

Module configurations do not vary so much as to say one configuration performs much better than another.
However, a module with a wide bus offers better performance than a module with a narrow bus (but its more expensive); i.e (1Mx16) chips perform better than (16Mx1) chips.

More important to a module's performance is the speed grade of the module, the PCB design and the chip die.

<font color=green>*****
"Memory with lifetime warranty? So, whose lifetime is that?"
<A HREF="http://www.brentcrowley.com/" target="_new">homepage</A>
<font color=red>AIM BrentUnitedMem

RichPLS

Champion
<A HREF="http://www.corsairmicro.com/memory_basics/153707/index.html" target="_new"> Memory Basics </A>

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>