Real innovation in Windows.

I've been thinking about innovation as it relates to the Windows
OS, in light of the soon to be released Vista.

Specifically, I've been wondering where it is.

When I play a three-dimensional PC game, such as "Vampire:
Bloodlines" which uses the new Halo game engine, and I come back
into Windows, it takes me five or ten minutes to orient myself. I
keep wanting to press the "W" key to move into the frame in the
third dimension ... but there is no third dimension in Windows.

Why doesn't the latest version of Windows, the new Vista, have a
three-dimensional interface? It works fine on my computer, as
demonstrated by how well PC games play that are three-dimensional.
What's holding Microsoft back from writing a true 3D GUI?

Know what I thing it is? Complacency. Microsoft owns the desktop
market, so they feel no need to innovate. Sure, they have to bring
out a new OS version every few years to keep up their corporate
earnings, but they don't need to take any chances with new GUIs,
so they don't. They don't need to take any real risks with
innovation, so they don't. The ghost of Microsoft Bob haunts the
halls and the boardrooms of Redmond.

Oh my! Someone else who remembers BOB. LOL!

"Al Smith" <invalid@address.com> wrote in message
> I've been thinking about innovation as it relates to the Windows OS, in
> light of the soon to be released Vista.
>
> Specifically, I've been wondering where it is.
>
> When I play a three-dimensional PC game, such as "Vampire: Bloodlines"
> which uses the new Halo game engine, and I come back into Windows, it
> takes me five or ten minutes to orient myself. I keep wanting to press the
> "W" key to move into the frame in the third dimension ... but there is no
> third dimension in Windows.
>
> Why doesn't the latest version of Windows, the new Vista, have a
> three-dimensional interface? It works fine on my computer, as demonstrated
> by how well PC games play that are three-dimensional. What's holding
> Microsoft back from writing a true 3D GUI?
>
> Know what I thing it is? Complacency. Microsoft owns the desktop market,
> so they feel no need to innovate. Sure, they have to bring out a new OS
> version every few years to keep up their corporate earnings, but they
> don't need to take any chances with new GUIs, so they don't. They don't
> need to take any real risks with innovation, so they don't. The ghost of
> Microsoft Bob haunts the halls and the boardrooms of Redmond.

Ryan

Al Smith, your right. Microsoft = MONOPOLY

Al Smith wrote:
> I've been thinking about innovation as it relates to the Windows OS, in
> light of the soon to be released Vista.
>
> Specifically, I've been wondering where it is.
>
> When I play a three-dimensional PC game, such as "Vampire: Bloodlines"
> which uses the new Halo game engine, and I come back into Windows, it
> takes me five or ten minutes to orient myself. I keep wanting to press
> the "W" key to move into the frame in the third dimension ... but there
> is no third dimension in Windows.
>
> Why doesn't the latest version of Windows, the new Vista, have a
> three-dimensional interface? It works fine on my computer, as
> demonstrated by how well PC games play that are three-dimensional.
> What's holding Microsoft back from writing a true 3D GUI?
>
> Know what I thing it is? Complacency. Microsoft owns the desktop market,
> so they feel no need to innovate. Sure, they have to bring out a new OS
> version every few years to keep up their corporate earnings, but they
> don't need to take any chances with new GUIs, so they don't. They don't
> need to take any real risks with innovation, so they don't. The ghost of
> Microsoft Bob haunts the halls and the boardrooms of Redmond.

Vampire uses the Source Engine that ran Half Life 2, not Halo!.

--
Byron Hinson
My Photography

>> When I play a three-dimensional PC game, such as "Vampire: Bloodlines" which uses the new Halo game engine, and I come back into Windows, it takes me five or ten minutes to orient myself. I keep wanting to press the "W" key to move into the frame in the third dimension ... but there is no third dimension in Windows.
>>
>> Why doesn't the latest version of Windows, the new Vista, have a three-dimensional interface? It works fine on my computer, as demonstrated by how well PC games play that are three-dimensional. What's holding Microsoft back from writing a true 3D GUI?
>>
>> Know what I thing it is? Complacency. Microsoft owns the desktop market, so they feel no need to innovate. Sure, they have to bring out a new OS version every few years to keep up their corporate earnings, but they don't need to take any chances with new GUIs, so they don't. They don't need to take any real risks with innovation, so they don't. The ghost of Microsoft Bob haunts the halls and the boardrooms of Redmond.
>

> Vampire uses the Source Engine that ran Half Life 2, not Halo!.

Oops!