Unused Icons will not hide.

July 24, 2005 8:02:25 PM

Hello:

I have a computer that there has been no changes to except for the most
receint windows security updates. Now all of a sudden my notification area
icons will not hide when inactive.

I have checked all settings. I have even turned off hiding and rebooted then
turned hiding back on still not luck. I also made sure that the settings are
set to hide when inactave. Nothing helps. Anyone have any ideas why this
happened?

Vince

More about : unused icons hide

Anonymous
July 24, 2005 8:38:53 PM

Right click on the clock. Go to customize Notifications. Do they say always
show? Force one to hide by choosing always hide. Does this force the rest of
them to begin hiding when appropriate.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

"Vince" <willgivewhenneeded@ok.com> wrote in message
> Hello:
>
> I have a computer that there has been no changes to except for the most
> receint windows security updates. Now all of a sudden my notification area
> icons will not hide when inactive.
>
> I have checked all settings. I have even turned off hiding and rebooted
> then
> turned hiding back on still not luck. I also made sure that the settings
> are
> set to hide when inactave. Nothing helps. Anyone have any ideas why this
> happened?
>
> Vince

July 25, 2005 4:29:35 AM

Thanks for the reply, earlier while at the computer in question I figured
that out.

What you say about forcing one to hide works. While I was at that machine
earlier just out of curiosity I picked one of the icons that normally hide
and told it to always hide, this caused it to hide right then and show me my
button still worked. After closing the settings I reopened them and reset
the same icon back to hide when inactive and the icon reappeared in the list
of unhidden icons with nothing hidden, however about 15-30 minutes later all
the icons that should have been hidden got hidden again like they are
suppose to.

So do you have any ideas why this happens and why such a trick fixes the
problem?

Vince

"Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Right click on the clock. Go to customize Notifications. Do they say
always
> show? Force one to hide by choosing always hide. Does this force the rest
of
> them to begin hiding when appropriate.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from: George Ankner
>
> "Vince" <willgivewhenneeded@ok.com> wrote in message
> > Hello:
> >
> > I have a computer that there has been no changes to except for the most
> > receint windows security updates. Now all of a sudden my notification
area
> > icons will not hide when inactive.
> >
> > I have checked all settings. I have even turned off hiding and rebooted
> > then
> > turned hiding back on still not luck. I also made sure that the settings
> > are
> > set to hide when inactave. Nothing helps. Anyone have any ideas why this
> > happened?
> >
> > Vince

Related resources
July 25, 2005 5:38:53 AM

Hi Vince,

This is by XP default. It takes time for this to happen. More info:

For some users, setting the very first icon to Always Hide, restores the
arrow/chevron. Note: It does take time for it to become effective.

Troubleshooting the Notification Area
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_n.htm#na

Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP

news:o bEvtFNkFHA.572@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Thanks for the reply, earlier while at the computer in question I figured
> that out.
>
> What you say about forcing one to hide works. While I was at that machine
> earlier just out of curiosity I picked one of the icons that normally hide
> and told it to always hide, this caused it to hide right then and show me
> my
> button still worked. After closing the settings I reopened them and reset
> the same icon back to hide when inactive and the icon reappeared in the
> list
> of unhidden icons with nothing hidden, however about 15-30 minutes later
> all
> the icons that should have been hidden got hidden again like they are
> suppose to.
>
> So do you have any ideas why this happens and why such a trick fixes the
> problem?
>
> Vince
>

> "Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in
> message
>> Right click on the clock. Go to customize Notifications. Do they say
> always
>> show? Force one to hide by choosing always hide. Does this force the rest
> of
>> them to begin hiding when appropriate.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> Quote from: George Ankner
>> "If you knew as much as you thought you know,
>> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
>>
>> "Vince" <willgivewhenneeded@ok.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello:
>> >
>> > I have a computer that there has been no changes to except for the most
>> > receint windows security updates. Now all of a sudden my notification
> area
>> > icons will not hide when inactive.
>> >
>> > I have checked all settings. I have even turned off hiding and rebooted
>> > then
>> > turned hiding back on still not luck. I also made sure that the
>> > settings
>> > are
>> > set to hide when inactave. Nothing helps. Anyone have any ideas why
>> > this
>> > happened?
>> >
>> > Vince

Anonymous
July 25, 2005 11:10:32 AM

It just needs a bit of oil once in a while because the sliding mechanism
gets stuck. (-;

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

"Vince" <willgivewhenneeded@ok.com> wrote in message
news:o bEvtFNkFHA.572@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Thanks for the reply, earlier while at the computer in question I figured
> that out.
>
> What you say about forcing one to hide works. While I was at that machine
> earlier just out of curiosity I picked one of the icons that normally hide
> and told it to always hide, this caused it to hide right then and show me
> my
> button still worked. After closing the settings I reopened them and reset
> the same icon back to hide when inactive and the icon reappeared in the
> list
> of unhidden icons with nothing hidden, however about 15-30 minutes later
> all
> the icons that should have been hidden got hidden again like they are
> suppose to.
>
> So do you have any ideas why this happens and why such a trick fixes the
> problem?
>
> Vince
>

> "Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in
> message
>> Right click on the clock. Go to customize Notifications. Do they say
> always
>> show? Force one to hide by choosing always hide. Does this force the rest
> of
>> them to begin hiding when appropriate.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> Quote from: George Ankner
>> "If you knew as much as you thought you know,
>> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
>>
>> "Vince" <willgivewhenneeded@ok.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello:
>> >
>> > I have a computer that there has been no changes to except for the most
>> > receint windows security updates. Now all of a sudden my notification
> area
>> > icons will not hide when inactive.
>> >
>> > I have checked all settings. I have even turned off hiding and rebooted
>> > then
>> > turned hiding back on still not luck. I also made sure that the
>> > settings
>> > are
>> > set to hide when inactave. Nothing helps. Anyone have any ideas why
>> > this
>> > happened?
>> >
>> > Vince

July 25, 2005 7:36:37 PM

Ok I will go to Home Depot and buy a can of XP05 and keep it next to my can
of WD40.

"Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o Pjd6lQkFHA.2852@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> It just needs a bit of oil once in a while because the sliding mechanism
> gets stuck. (-;
>

> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from: George Ankner
>
> "Vince" <willgivewhenneeded@ok.com> wrote in message
> news:o bEvtFNkFHA.572@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> > Thanks for the reply, earlier while at the computer in question I
figured
> > that out.
> >
> > What you say about forcing one to hide works. While I was at that
machine
> > earlier just out of curiosity I picked one of the icons that normally
hide
> > and told it to always hide, this caused it to hide right then and show
me
> > my
> > button still worked. After closing the settings I reopened them and
reset
> > the same icon back to hide when inactive and the icon reappeared in the
> > list
> > of unhidden icons with nothing hidden, however about 15-30 minutes later
> > all
> > the icons that should have been hidden got hidden again like they are
> > suppose to.
> >
> > So do you have any ideas why this happens and why such a trick fixes the
> > problem?
> >
> > Vince
> >

> > "Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in
> > message
> >> Right click on the clock. Go to customize Notifications. Do they say
> > always
> >> show? Force one to hide by choosing always hide. Does this force the
rest
> > of
> >> them to begin hiding when appropriate.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Richard Urban
> >> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
> >>
> >> Quote from: George Ankner
> >> "If you knew as much as you thought you know,
> >> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
> >>
> >> "Vince" <willgivewhenneeded@ok.com> wrote in message

> > area

July 30, 2005 6:08:57 AM

Hi Vince,

Actually at Lowe's it is called: XPNA-01, isle 05 next to the can of any
key. :o )

--

!