Boot Partition Corrupted

I have managed to corrupt the XP boot partition. I was resizing the C drive
via Partition Magic 7 to make some unformatted space and encountered a 1350
error. Now I cannot boot. I have purchased a floppy drive to boot up the
partition magic rescue disks but I can't get this drive to boot (despite
making appropriate changes in the setup). Ideally I would like to use the MS
Recovery Console which I understand can rebuild the relevent files in the
boot partition.
When I use the CD provided by the PC manufacturer I get to a point where it
wants to reformat the C drive.

Has anyone got any ideas of how I can resolve this with out losing the C
drive?

Any help will be appreciated.
5 answers Last reply
More about boot partition corrupted

    You know, of course, that Partition Magic 8.0 was the first version that was
    deemed compatible with Windows XP. I am not surprised at all that you
    encountered problems.

    Borrow a Windows XP retail CD from a friend. It matters not what version.
    You are not installing an operating system. You are just booting to the
    recovery console. You need your administrator password to get there. Do you
    remember it?

    When in the recovery console type fixmbr /? to view it's usage.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner

    "Chris Whitfield" <Chris Whitfield@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:CB723EED-0BED-48DF-A7AD-34135D27CD59@microsoft.com...
    >I have managed to corrupt the XP boot partition. I was resizing the C drive
    > via Partition Magic 7 to make some unformatted space and encountered a
    > 1350
    > error. Now I cannot boot. I have purchased a floppy drive to boot up the
    > partition magic rescue disks but I can't get this drive to boot (despite
    > making appropriate changes in the setup). Ideally I would like to use the
    > MS
    > Recovery Console which I understand can rebuild the relevent files in the
    > boot partition.
    > When I use the CD provided by the PC manufacturer I get to a point where
    > it
    > wants to reformat the C drive.
    >
    > Has anyone got any ideas of how I can resolve this with out losing the C
    > drive?
    >
    > Any help will be appreciated.

    This may or may not be related, but I was just reading some comments
    from someone else on the issue of PM corrupting a resize (shrink) a
    NTFS partition and they thought it occurred when you made the
    partition smaller than where the MFT (or part of it?) resided in the
    partition and suspected that PM was not handling it correctly. I have
    had other issues with PM (I have 7) in the past that were apparently
    caused by the order of the partitions in the MBR --PM would give
    this stupid error that no one knew how to solve. I found that if I
    used Ranish Partition manager, I could fix the problem (chkdisk
    worked fine, windows booted fine, but PM and Drive Image took
    one look and blew up with a weird error message).

    mikey (who is checking out different partition manager software -
    I refuse to buy 8 with their "activation" stuff (and yes my version 7
    is legit - I paid for it myself))

    Mike Fields wrote:

    > This may or may not be related, but I was just reading some comments
    > from someone else on the issue of PM corrupting a resize (shrink) a
    > NTFS partition and they thought it occurred when you made the
    > partition smaller than where the MFT (or part of it?) resided in the
    > partition and suspected that PM was not handling it correctly. I have
    > had other issues with PM (I have 7) in the past that were apparently
    > caused by the order of the partitions in the MBR --PM would give
    > this stupid error that no one knew how to solve. I found that if I
    > used Ranish Partition manager, I could fix the problem (chkdisk
    > worked fine, windows booted fine, but PM and Drive Image took
    > one look and blew up with a weird error message).
    >
    > mikey (who is checking out different partition manager software -
    > I refuse to buy 8 with their "activation" stuff (and yes my version 7
    > is legit - I paid for it myself))

    Mikey - Try BootITNG. It's a lot geekier to use than PM, but it is only
    around $35 and you can d/l a full, working trial. Get it here:

    http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers

    "Malke" <notreally@invalid.com> wrote in message
    > Mike Fields wrote:
    >
    > > This may or may not be related, but I was just reading some comments
    > > from someone else on the issue of PM corrupting a resize (shrink) a
    > > NTFS partition and they thought it occurred when you made the
    > > partition smaller than where the MFT (or part of it?) resided in the
    > > partition and suspected that PM was not handling it correctly. I have
    > > had other issues with PM (I have 7) in the past that were apparently
    > > caused by the order of the partitions in the MBR --PM would give
    > > this stupid error that no one knew how to solve. I found that if I
    > > used Ranish Partition manager, I could fix the problem (chkdisk
    > > worked fine, windows booted fine, but PM and Drive Image took
    > > one look and blew up with a weird error message).
    > >
    > > mikey (who is checking out different partition manager software -
    > > I refuse to buy 8 with their "activation" stuff (and yes my version 7
    > > is legit - I paid for it myself))
    >
    > Mikey - Try BootITNG. It's a lot geekier to use than PM, but it is only
    > around $35 and you can d/l a full, working trial. Get it here:
    >
    > http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/
    >
    > Malke
    > --

    Actually, that was the one I had been leaning towards. Downloaded the
    manual for it and read through the newsgroup for it as well as
    googling for others comments (I'm an engineer - I over-analyze
    everything - just ask my wife !). So far, I am impressed with it,
    just have not had a chance to download the trial version. I sure
    was not happy with PM and Drive Image when they both refused
    to even look at to disk to either back it up or modify the partitions.
    Powerquest listed the error but was unable to explain the problem.

    mikey

    I suggest you use Partition Table Doctor to fix boot sector.

    First thing I recommend you download the demo version of
    Partition Table Doctor.( http://www.ptdd.com/download.htm )

    Run the program and right click the partition and choose fixboot.

    For more detail:
    http://www.ptdd.com/fixboot.htm
    http://www.ptdd.com

    "Chris Whitfield" wrote:

    > I have managed to corrupt the XP boot partition. I was resizing the C drive
    > via Partition Magic 7 to make some unformatted space and encountered a 1350
    > error. Now I cannot boot. I have purchased a floppy drive to boot up the
    > partition magic rescue disks but I can't get this drive to boot (despite
    > making appropriate changes in the setup). Ideally I would like to use the MS
    > Recovery Console which I understand can rebuild the relevent files in the
    > boot partition.
    > When I use the CD provided by the PC manufacturer I get to a point where it
    > wants to reformat the C drive.
    >
    > Has anyone got any ideas of how I can resolve this with out losing the C
    > drive?
    >
    > Any help will be appreciated.

Partition Boot Windows XP