Two Mouse Pointers on One Desktop (not multiple desktops)

Status
Not open for further replies.

david_sing

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
Hey Guys. I am simply looking for a way to get two mouse pointers on the same desktop.

When this question is asked, its usually in the context of having multiple desktops running off of one CPU. That is not what I want.

I simply want to have two pointers when I plug 2 mouses into my computer, and if possible, I would also like each mouse to be able to maintain their specially assigned buttons... (I have a sidewinder and I can do stuff like open programs with my middle click, etc)

Any ideas?

kedwa30

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
:hello:
After almost 3 years, I hope you found it. Otherwise, you might have a better chance at finding the solution by searching for "multiple cursors" or something like that. I am disappointed that there are all so many :sarcastic: innovations in user input for phones but the desktop pc is still stuck with one cursor. I mean, I have two monitors, my cpu has multiple processors, and windows is supposed to be a multi-tasking system, yet it can't allow me to use both hands?
It's like having a keyboard with one key... Morse code anyone? :bounce:
Here is just one video of a third party software that will allow you to hack a second cursor onto your computer, but Windows should have the ability built in. :pfff: It doesn't, but it should.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CEZGGKG3H8

the reason why multiple pointers havent been integrated into windows already is that it is pointless. i'm not talking about touchscreens or laptop pads which already utilize multi-point touch commands (but retain one pointer) but the general concept of one cursor onscreen.

as for multitasking with both hands: have you forgot how to use a keyboard? for the vast majority of tasks you will be using both the keyboard and mouse. unless you have a third arm (or can type with your feet) i dont see how having two mice can possibly be of benefit. if anything it would be confusing to most people.

how do you figure phones have a more advanced interface than windows? gestures arent new: most every laptop can do this already, android just offers support for user-created options.

kedwa30

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011

Multiple pointers being pointless? That can't be the reason as I had just elaborated some points. Sounds like you are either making an ad hominem attack or else you are just trying to be funny (fail). Just because you cannot see the point to it does not mean there is no point. When something is directly in from of someone who claims not to see it, the person is usually considered ignorant. Why would many people specifically seek out this ability if it were pointless? Are you trying to insinuate we are all idiots? You know where you can go with that attitude--Troll-ville.
As I already explained what I would like to do with two mouse pointers, it should be self evident that it is impossible to replicate using the keyboard.
I cannot tab from one link on a page on one monitor to another link on another page on another monitor. Have you tried it, or did you just assume it was possible?
Personally I use both hands to use my keyboard, and it is cumbersome to have to continually switch from the mouse back to the keyboard.
When two mice are plugged in, does the computer not recognize them as two devices? How hard can it be to code two cursors, one for each device? One could even assign a function key to tab the keyboard from one cursor to the next. Using that method, one could even use one mouse to control bother cursors. It would be nice to be able to assign an ad hoc anchor on each screen to tab to. But that is perhaps too mundane a feature for power programmers to think of. :sarcastic: SARCASM SARCASM SARCASM

It would also be nice to be able to assign all the keys in a second or third keyboard as special functions rather than only using it as a parallel keyboard. Oh, is that pointless too, when I could use multi-tiered menus with a single mouse pointer instead? Have you considered that some people write with a different color pen in each hand? Being able to use two pointers in a paint program is also very useful... as artists will often use more than one hand when painting or crafting on canvas. There are endless reasons why computers should have multi-cursor ability for the average user now. Why the delay? Is it sheer laziness on the part of programmers? I can't think of a program that can't benefit from multiple cursors. But I'm not going to waste time trying. I am instead going to try to motivate programmers to make this functionality part of the basic operating system. I mean, so many programs still fail to take advantage of multi-processor CPU's, and that is only attributable to laziness of the programmers. I'm not saying it's as easy as writing a new mouse driver, but come on! Did you forget that we have two hands, four fingers on each hand and thumbs? The way the interface is designed I might as well have just a peg. Poke. Poke. Drag/Drop. Very limited.
I had hoped that PC controls would always be more advanced than game console controls. I of course used the sarcasm emote when talking about phone interfaces. I guess that wasn't obvious enough. Yet no sarcasm emote here, since the Wii has surpassed the PC in user interface. Having one cursor is like only being able to have a single player in a game. Why? Programmers can't figure out how to make two cursors moving independently in an operating system but a simple game can have two or more independently moving characters? Tell me it isn't so!
Everyone can benefit from the ability to use more than one cursor. It should be part of the basic OS. I shouldn't have to hack my system using third party programs. Controlling two different mice is as intuitive as using both hands at the same time. Confusing? Not at all.

First you never mentioned a use. The op did.

Second. Perhaps pointless was the wrong word. Still the vast majority of users don't need such a clunky interface. Simplicity isn't a bad thing.

Why not have a 500key keyboard with every command word etc all spelled out too? While someone might benefit it is too complex an input system for most.

Hate to sound harsh but you have an opinion and so do I. It's not a personal attack but a rebuttal as to why it's not commonplace. I was a little too direct before but what was meant is that if most people find something useless to them those few who want a feature are sol.

The keyboard and mouse is a tried and true system. Only a few fields truly benefit from Wii like interfaces. Also consider that by now we all know how to use them. not saying new interface ideas are bad just that the tools we already have are more than adequate.

kedwa30

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011

First, I did so. Had you followed the link to the youtube vid, you would have seen my post there in which I did. Just as I was saying, something could be right in front of someone and just cause they don't see it doesn't mean it's not there. Ignorance is no excuse.
Second, simplicity means making it easy for the user so that I don't have to pound on the tab key a dozen or more times to get it to the link I want. The mouse is great at whipping to the precise link and clicking it. Two mice are better than one. So you don't need two mice all the time... so what. So you don't need two cursors all the time... the point is convenience. If you prefer simplicity over convenience then go live on a farm with the Amish where life is simple. Take your one button mouse with you.
People don't need Quad Core processors especially when most programmers don't even know how to take advantage of them, but they buy them.
Here I am, a potential customer saying what I'd like and you jump down my throat telling me to be happy with the simplicity of a peg leg interface?
Come on!
Okay, a flying car is an extravagance too... we all know how to walk already so why bother trying to improve on what God gave us? Get real!
The fact is, you just don't know. You were just trying to be a know it all and now you are going to have to eat crow. There is no good reason why the operating system does not have support for multiple mouse cursors already built in. There is no good reason why there is not an implementation that is easy to install and use for the average users.
I'm still at square one trying to motivate some lazy programmers to supply the demand. I was not the only one searching for this solution and I won't be the last. If you're not willing to be part of the solution, try at least not to be a problem. Get out of the way; you are holding back progress.

i was going to write a lengthy rebuttal but there is no point. until you can stop raging and get over the fact that your opinion is not the only one in the world that matters we are done here. i even went to the trouble of saying i was a little too direct before.

i do wish you find a good solution, however, just because most programers dont want to step up doesnt make them lazy. also just because someone doesnt support your idea doesnt mean they are holding back progress.

take a deep breath. chill. realize that there is more than just your side to the story.

GauchoDon

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011
I would very much like to see the ability to turn on a 2nd cursor. Hopefully the pluralinput beta opens soon or I can somehow squeeze in it. Since when did computer stuff not happen because most people won't use it or want it? My understanding is the CDNMouse and GlovePIE don't provide separate cursors on Windows 7 and that the windows multimouse SDK is not a system implementation, but just applies to individual programs.

No one really cared about using touch on cell phones until apple made it user friendly. Build the capability then let the people with vision figure out if they can make it more or less efficient than the existing tech.

I'm pretty sure multiple pointers with the right innovations will allow for a more productive environment, not a less productive one.

Generally, i agree that the mouse pointer is less efficient than the traditional keyboard shortcuts, but the mouse is more efficient for the less knowledgable. It is more intuitive and multiple pointers, properly revised, is likely to be more intuitive too. It could be as simple as a left hand on the left hand cursor and a right on the right, to make it very user friendly... it would also allow for new multitouch input devices with greatly expanded capability, I would be willing to bet one of these is likely to be at least an evolutionary change in computer input, if not revolutionary.

kedwa30

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011

Dude, take your own advice! Just shut up if you don't have something nice to say. You are holding back progress by trolling on other peoples great ideas. If you don't support an idea then simply not saying anything shows that lack of support. It's when you say negative things that you are holding back the development of an idea. You can turn your liability into an asset by learning how to give constructive criticism.

Using one cursor with two monitors is like trying to pedal a bike using just one leg. Sure, it's possible... and from your opinion having only one pedal is simplicity of design. But why wouldn't we want something better? And when the idea of something better comes along, why would anyone discourage its development as you are trying to do?
Your argument that it would be confusing to the average user is an insult to users everywhere. The first time someone used the keyboard was confusing, but eventually most people get the hang of it. It's called the learning curve. Just admit that you are afraid of change and you don't want to have to learn something new. You're too old to learn quickly and are afraid that you will become a useless has been. Well too late! As you are trying to put an anchor on progress and improvements, you are already worse than useless. Just stop posting to this thread unless you have something positive to say.
I answered the question and brought new insight to this thread... what have you done but baited and trolled? I'm sure that you may be a good person, but you sure do have a sour attitude. Needs improvement.

kedwa30

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011

Thanks for the positive and informative post! I particularly was looking for a way to use two mouse pointers as a way to play facebook games more quickly using two monitors, at least at first. I think there is an even larger market for such an ability than there are members of facebook, simply because it could be applied to much more than the one example.
I am hoping that there will be more than one programmer or group to develop this so that it will eventually become an integral feature in every operating system as it should be.
I generally wouldn't mind using keyboard shortcuts except that there are times when they just aren't as efficient as the mouse. On a web page full of links, it is inefficient to press the tab key over and over again until it rests on the one spot needed. For what I initially was looking for, the two cursors idea wasn't even necessary and having only the two mouse pointers would have sufficed.
However, I began to recall times when I was in the middle of typing when another program would pop up and steal the cursor away as it became the active window and thus my typing would not appear in the word processor but would spill over into the new window, sometimes even confirming or dismissing the pop-up accidentally. This could easily be resolved by allowing for multiple cursors so that the one being used would not need to be stolen away.
Those with two monitors are the most obvious to benefit from this ability. My sister would be able to use one monitor to read and reply to facebook posts while her daughter used the other monitor to draw in a graphics program. Our computers are powerful enough to multitask, so why aren't the operating systems designed to handle multiple users? The computers can handle multiple keyboards, multiple monitors, multiple mice, etc. so why hasn't windows adapted? The very first supercomputers handled many terminals. Processors of today are many times more powerful than those. There is just no reason why we shouldn't already have the ability to have more than one cursor even for single users.

keglined

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
Kudos to the person who asked this! Like you said, you do have two hands, after all. So, why not?

I've thought of another use for two mice/cursors, which is the reason I ended up here today. But I'm not here to discuss that. I'm here to call out the double-digit IQ midget(s) in the room.

To those who have decided to ridicule the person who asked this question: if the world were full of people like you, there'd not be an internet around for us on which to explore others' ideas.

It's not the negative responses to this specific idea that bug me; in general, it's the creativity-loathing nitwits who infest the world. Without their numbers there'd not be an audience for a.m. talk radio, 21st century laugh tracks, Professional "wrestling," or Reality TV. They are the very substance of that element Steve Allen coined Dumbth.

Status
Not open for further replies.