Dual Channel Memory Error?

lonelypauly

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2005
Ok, so I been getting these random memory dumps and BSOD restarts on my system. I googled the error codes in the windows logs and I find device driver related stuff and memory stuff. So i've since updated my drivers and the problem still persists, albeit infrequently.

So I figure it's the RAM...I run MemTest86 v3.2 and end up with the following error running in dual channel mode: (Failed test 6) I ran this test 3 times to be sure.
<A HREF="http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y215/lonelypauly/MT1.jpg" target="_new">http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y215/lonelypauly/MT1.jpg</A>

So then I take out the second module, leaving only a stick in the first slot and run the test again, twice...no error.

I take out the module I just tested and replace it with the other module and run the test, twice...no error.

Then I try both modules again, but Single Channel mode this time and run the test about 3 times...no error.

So my only conclusion is that running in Dual Channel is causing some sort of problem. I have no idea if it's the memory, the user, or the motherboard. I did not purchase these sticks as a dual channel kit and I did notice that one module reads KVR512 and the other is KVR512R. So I called Kingston and they told me that the "R" stands for retail and they would run in dual channel mode, no problem. I am beginning to think that "R" is for refurbished, although I hope I am wrong about that. I've been able to do everything on this PC without any predictable problems, it seems sort of random when it reboots, I played Doom3 without any problems, but 2 hours later while browsing the internet it just reboots on me, here's the latest error message:

Windows Operating System
ID: 1003
Source: System Error
Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: ER_KRNLCRASH_LOG
Message: Error code %1, parameter1 %2, parameter2 %3, parameter3 %4, parameter4 %5.

Im running XP SP2, my hardware stats are below.

<b><font color=blue>Athlon64 3200+ Winchester/MSI Neo4 Platinum SLI/MSI 6800 Ultra/1 GB Kingston HyperX (Dual Channel)/74GB WD Raptor/600Watt Enermax Noisetaker/ Dual Mitsubishi 21 Inch Monitors</b></font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Have you tried raising vDIMM (RAM voltage)?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

lonelypauly

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2005
Isn't that Overclocking? About what voltage should my memory be running at?

<b><font color=blue>Athlon64 3200+ Winchester/MSI Neo4 Platinum SLI/MSI 6800 Ultra/1 GB Kingston HyperX (Dual Channel)/74GB WD Raptor/600Watt Enermax Noisetaker/ Dual Mitsubishi 21 Inch Monitors</b></font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Raising voltage is often used to add stability when overclocking, but is also used to add stability when parts simply aren't good enough. And that's often the case with value RAM, barely stable in single channel at rated speed means any additional stress will destabilize them.

So you add voltage to add stability. It's not overclocking unless you also raise the speed. 2.8v should be safe, but I'd go 2.7v for near-stock heat output.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

lonelypauly

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2005
I have the Hyper X Kingston RAM.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
A lot of low-latency RAM also requires stepped up voltages to run stabley at the reduced latency.

lonelypauly

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2005
What do you suggest voltage-wise for running Dual Channel for CL 2 or CL 2.5?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Most low-latency RAM is rated for 2.6v or 2.7v. I'd try 2.7v unless you're overclocking or dropping below advertised latency.

lonelypauly

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2005
Ok, cool. I will try that, I hope I don't fry anything LOL.

TRENDING THREADS