Resolution not recognized - HDMI Connection not recognized

supermurse

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
Hi,
I've been trying to figure this out for weeks.

I have a Zotac 570 gtx connected via HDMI cable to my Asus VE258 LED monitor. I've had this video card and monitor setup working before with the exact cable, card and monitor.

Something changed in my system where the monitor is no longer recognized for what it is. When i go into my Nvidia control panel under change resolution 1. Digital Display, 2. DVI-PC Display - Resolution 1080p 59 Hz.

There is no DVI cable plugged into the computer and the monitor is set on HDMI input.

When i go to my Audio playback devices, the HDMI connection does not show up at all, even as disabled or disconnected.

When i go to play a game (Diablo 3, Skyrim, Farcry2) The game either doesn't open (skyrim) giving me the error that resolution is not recognized (but then does not give me any resolutions to choose from in the options menu) or will play (Diablo 3) but is stuck on extremely low resolutions with only 2 options.

Here's what i've done. Contacted Zotac and had them send me the most recent drivers for the video card. Uninstalled originals and re-installed the new ones. Contacted Asus (they say its not the monitor as long as its set on HDMI input) I am unable to find a driver that will make my computer (Windows 7) recognize the monitor for what it is. Zotac failed after their attempt with the driver and told me to RMA the card. So i did... i waited a month. I just got a new one back today. No dice! Same problems.

WHAT DO I DO NOW?

HELP PLEASE!

supermurse

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
I Think the problem lies somewhere within:

Display Adapter
--------------------------------------
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 570
Video Chipset: nVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 (GF110)
Video Memory: 1310400 KBytes of GDDR5 SDRAM
Bus Type: PCIe v2.0 x16 (2.5 Gb/s) @ x16 (2.5 Gb/s)
Video BIOS Version: 70.10.55.00.01
Video Chipset Revision: A1
Memory Bus Width: 320-bit
Number Of Pixel Pipelines: 40
Number Of Unified Shaders: 480
GPU Temperature: N/A
GPU Clock(Geometry Domain): 50.6 MHz
GPU Clock(Shader Domain): 101.3 MHz
Memory Clock: 67.5 MHz (Effective 270.0 MHz)
Audio Adapter
Audio Adapter: Intel Cougar Point PCH - High Definition Audio Controller [B3]
High Definition Audio Codec: RealTek ALC892
Audio Adapter: nVIDIA GF110 - High Definition Audio Controller
High Definition Audio Codec: nVidia HDMI
Network Adapter
Network Adapter: Atheros AR938x Wireless Network Adapter
MAC Address: 90-F6-52-0D-6D-C2
Maximum Link Speed: 144 Mbps
Network Adapter: RealTek Semiconductor RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC
MAC Address: 00-25-22-F8-3E-BE
Maximum Link Speed: 1000 Mbps
Monitor
Monitor Name: [Unknown Model: ACI25F1]
Serial Number: B8LMTF041088
Date Of Manufacture: Week: 32, Year: 2011
Max Vertical Size: 31 cm
Max Horizontal Size: 55 cm
Standby: Not Supported
Suspend: Not Supported
Standard Colour Space: Not Supported
Preferred Timing Mode: Supported
Default GTF Supported: Not Supported

blakwidowrsa

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
Why don't you just use a DVI cable? It is basically the same as HDMI, just no audio.(Except if you use the monitor built-in speakers)

But if you say only some resolutions are detected and displayed in games, it is telling me the PC thinks it is a TV and not a Monitor, hence the strange/limited resolutions.

I agreed with everyone, first try the cable somewhere else like a TV and Blu-ray. It may also be the HDMI port on the monitor that is wearing out...

supermurse

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
Thanks for the responses.

I have 2 different HDMI cables in the apt. They both work on my TV with built in speakers for audio and video. Neither work on the computer monitor with built in speakers (they both give me the problems detailed above).

I'd like to use HDMI because my monitor does have 2 speakers in it. Primarily i want to figure this out because it's annoying the crap out of me not knowing why and not being able to figure it out.

blakwidowrsa

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
HDMI definitely has audio, just check these to concrete basic settings needed:
Step 1 is probab;y what is wrong with your OP**

1. The GFX card will have a, eg. High Definition Audio device listed in the "Sound, Video and game Controllers" section of Device Manager.
**If nothing other than your motherboard sound card is shown. Make sure the audio drivers are installed for the graphics card. They are bundled with and should be installed with the Forceware drivers from nVidia.

2. The GFX HDMI audio device should be set as the default playback device under "Hardware and sound" -> Sound , in Control Panel. Here you can also visually see sound being played back with a green bar.Just check the volume is around 50% and do a speaker test. Even if you dont hear anything the bar will show sound is being output. OK, now that you know sound is being sent through the HDMI cable go to monitor...
3. Check that the monitor speaker volume is also at around 50% and do a speaker test again.Adjust if nessacary.

If step 3 does not produce any audio, get the monitor checked out by a Audio video shop.
But I am fairly certain the HDMI audio driver is missing/corrupt/disabled in Device Manager.

supermurse

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
Yes this would all be very easy to fix if my HDMI device showed up in the audio device list. But it doesn't, despite multiple re-installs of the drivers and card, and even a brand new RMA card. I'm still missing some driver, that is why it won't recognize my monitor as HDMI and the audio device doesn't see it as even plugged in. Some kind of inherent HDMI driver, cause its not just the audio, in the nvidia control panel it doesn't see the monitor as connected by HDMI either. What driver could it be?