Turning off electricity to XP

Hi

I'm about to go on holiday and I would like to know for how long I can turn
off the electricity without the battery in the Bios going flat.

Thanks

Dave Neve

Well it's probably a Lithium battery, so I don't think you have to
worry about it. I would e-mail the manufacturer' customer service
dept. to find out.

Dave Neve wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm about to go on holiday and I would like to know for how long I can turn
> off the electricity without the battery in the Bios going flat.
>
> Thanks
>
> Dave Neve

About three years... + or -

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Dave Neve" wrote:

| Hi
|
| I'm about to go on holiday and I would like to know for how long I can turn
| off the electricity without the battery in the Bios going flat.
|
| Thanks
|
| Dave Neve

curmudgeon

Dave Neve wrote:

> I'm about to go on holiday and I would like to know for how long I can turn
> off the electricity without the battery in the Bios going flat.

My machine is over 5 years old, and the battery is still hanging in
there.

Which reminds me.... <grin>

In news:ewfeT$IkFHA.1416@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Dave Neve <NoAddressForSpammers@Nofs.fr> typed:

> I'm about to go on holiday and I would like to know for how
> long I
> can turn off the electricity without the battery in the Bios
> going
> flat.

It has nothing to do with turning off the electricity. The
battery doesn't recharge while the computer is on.

How long a battery lasts depends on the battery, but 3-5 years is
probably fairly typical.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Dave Neve wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm about to go on holiday and I would like to know for how long I can turn
> off the electricity without the battery in the Bios going flat.
>
> Thanks
>
> Dave Neve

3 to 5 years

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Having electricity ON or OFF has no impact on the BIOS battery, there is no
internal battery charging circuit on the motherboard so this battery will
just die whenever it feels like it.

"Dave Neve" <NoAddressForSpammers@Nofs.fr> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I'm about to go on holiday and I would like to know for how long I can
> turn off the electricity without the battery in the Bios going flat.
>
> Thanks
>
> Dave Neve

"Dave Neve" <NoAddressForSpammers@Nofs.fr> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I'm about to go on holiday and I would like to know for how long I can
> turn off the electricity without the battery in the Bios going flat.
>
> Thanks
>
> Dave Neve

They normally last 3-5 years on a new machine, although I've seen a couple
last around a year.

How long is your holiday for? How old is the machine? If you have any
doubts, or you're taking a 2 year holiday, then enter the BIOS and record
the settings for later use if needed.

The battery is not going to be the problem if you remove power from the
computer, like unpluging it. It the Windows activation that will be no good
after about 3 days not sure on the lenght of time, but I have have had to
reactivate Windows XP after have a computer unplugged and not used for 3
weeks. It has some date/times that Windows checks when it restarts after a
power failure. Also, you only have 3 days to reativate Windows or it shuts
down on you. I ask Microsoft and they verified that that was a design
feature.

In news:6B295D8C-07FB-4BD4-9806-3FD157C353C4@microsoft.com,
RogerP <RogerP@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> The battery is not going to be the problem if you remove power
> from
> the computer, like unpluging it.

Correct.

> It the Windows activation that will
> be no good after about 3 days not sure on the lenght of time,
> but I
> have have had to reactivate Windows XP after have a computer
> unplugged and not used for 3 weeks. It has some date/times
> that
> Windows checks when it restarts after a power failure.

Completely false. There is no such issue at all. If that's been
your experience, something else is seriously wrong.

Please reply to the newsgroup

> Also, you
> only have 3 days to reativate Windows or it shuts down on you.
> I ask
> Microsoft and they verified that that was a design feature.
>
> "Alan Smith" wrote:
>

>> "Dave Neve" <NoAddressForSpammers@Nofs.fr> wrote in message
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I'm about to go on holiday and I would like to know for how
>>> long I
>>> can turn off the electricity without the battery in the Bios
>>> going
>>> flat.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Dave Neve
>>>

>> They normally last 3-5 years on a new machine, although I've
>> seen a
>> couple last around a year.
>>
>> How long is your holiday for? How old is the machine? If you
>> have any
>> doubts, or you're taking a 2 year holiday, then enter the BIOS
>> and
>> record the settings for later use if needed.

Please do some research. You have some confused and incorrect ideas.

"RogerP" <RogerP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The battery is not going to be the problem if you remove power from the
> computer, like unpluging it. It the Windows activation that will be no
> good
> after about 3 days not sure on the lenght of time, but I have have had to
> reactivate Windows XP after have a computer unplugged and not used for 3
> weeks. It has some date/times that Windows checks when it restarts after
> power failure. Also, you only have 3 days to reativate Windows or it
> shuts
> down on you. I ask Microsoft and they verified that that was a design
> feature.
>
> "Alan Smith" wrote:
>

>> "Dave Neve" <NoAddressForSpammers@Nofs.fr> wrote in message
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > I'm about to go on holiday and I would like to know for how long I can
>> > turn off the electricity without the battery in the Bios going flat.
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> >
>> > Dave Neve
>> >

>> They normally last 3-5 years on a new machine, although I've seen a
>> couple
>> last around a year.
>>
>> How long is your holiday for? How old is the machine? If you have any
>> doubts, or you're taking a 2 year holiday, then enter the BIOS and record
>> the settings for later use if needed.

> Hi
>
> I'm about to go on holiday and I would like to know for how long I can turn
> off the electricity without the battery in the Bios going flat.
>
> Thanks
>
> Dave Neve

If the computer is fairly new -- less than two years -- you can
turn it off for as long as you like. If it is four years old or
older, you may have a problem if you leave it off for weeks, but
only if the battery is ready to fail. If the battery is near the
end of its life cycle, it will hold a charge for a few hours, or a
day or two, but won't hold it any longer. But those batteries last
a long, long time. You're settings are probably safe enough.

>>It the Windows activation that will
>>> be no good after about 3 days not sure on the lenght of time,
>>> but I
>>> have have had to reactivate Windows XP after have a computer
>>> unplugged and not used for 3 weeks. It has some date/times
>>> that
>>> Windows checks when it restarts after a power failure.
>

> Completely false. There is no such issue at all. If that's been
> your experience, something else is seriously wrong.

It is sort of creative misinformation, though, don't you think? I
say we give him points for that.

Wow

About 15 answers to what I thought was a mundane little question.

I'd lile to proceed to change the battery as my computer is about 4 years
old.

Is the information below enought to reset the BIOS after changing the
battery.

The info was gathered using Sandra 2005.

If not, how can I get more info from the BIOS?

Thanks in advance

Dave Neve

General Capabilities
Can be Updated/Flashed : Yes
Can be Shadowed : Yes
Is Socketed : Yes
Supports Plug & Play : Yes
Supports ESCD : Yes
Supports Enhanced Disk Drive : Yes
NEC PC-98 Spec Compatible : No

Power Management Features
Supports APM : Yes
Supports ACPI : Yes
Supports Smart Battery : No

Boot Features
Supports Selective Booting : Yes
Supports CD/DVD Boot : Yes
Supports PCMCIA/CardBus Boot : No
Supports LS-120 Boot : Yes
Supports ZIP Boot : Yes
Supports i2o Boot : No
Supports FireWire/1394 Boot : No

"Al Smith" <invalid@address.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
Mj_Ee.64843$Ph4.2034463@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca...
>> Hi
>>
>> I'm about to go on holiday and I would like to know for how long I can
>> turn off the electricity without the battery in the Bios going flat.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Dave Neve
>
> If the computer is fairly new -- less than two years -- you can turn it
> off for as long as you like. If it is four years old or older, you may
> have a problem if you leave it off for weeks, but only if the battery is
> ready to fail. If the battery is near the end of its life cycle, it will
> hold a charge for a few hours, or a day or two, but won't hold it any
> longer. But those batteries last a long, long time. You're settings are
> probably safe enough.

Entry method into your PC's bios depends on the bios mfr.
Data you provided only shows some of its capabilities, but useless for your
intended use of setting to current bios setup settings, or determining the
bios mfr.

Removal of the battery will clear the cmos. The cmos contains both the bios
setup settings, and resulting configuration data.

Unplug the PC, open the case, find the battery. Remove the battery. Write
down all the written data on the battery. Cross-reference this to a
suitable replacement. You can reinsert the current battery until you have
the replacement. If all bios settings are normally at default, you should
have no problems.

> Wow
>
> About 15 answers to what I thought was a mundane little question.
>
> I'd lile to proceed to change the battery as my computer is about 4 years
> old.
>
> Is the information below enought to reset the BIOS after changing the
> battery.
>
> The info was gathered using Sandra 2005.
>
> If not, how can I get more info from the BIOS?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Dave Neve

> General Capabilities
> Can be Updated/Flashed : Yes
> Can be Shadowed : Yes
> Is Socketed : Yes
> Supports Plug & Play : Yes
> Supports ESCD : Yes
> Supports Enhanced Disk Drive : Yes
> NEC PC-98 Spec Compatible : No
>
> Power Management Features
> Supports APM : Yes
> Supports ACPI : Yes
> Supports Smart Battery : No
>
> Boot Features
> Supports Selective Booting : Yes
> Supports CD/DVD Boot : Yes
> Supports PCMCIA/CardBus Boot : No
> Supports LS-120 Boot : Yes
> Supports ZIP Boot : Yes
> Supports i2o Boot : No
> Supports FireWire/1394 Boot : No
>
> "Al Smith" <invalid@address.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
> Mj_Ee.64843$Ph4.2034463@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca...
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> I'm about to go on holiday and I would like to know for how long I can
> >> turn off the electricity without the battery in the Bios going flat.
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>
> >> Dave Neve
> >
> > If the computer is fairly new -- less than two years -- you can turn it
> > off for as long as you like. If it is four years old or older, you may
> > have a problem if you leave it off for weeks, but only if the battery is
> > ready to fail. If the battery is near the end of its life cycle, it will
> > hold a charge for a few hours, or a day or two, but won't hold it any
> > longer. But those batteries last a long, long time. You're settings are
> > probably safe enough.

You are confused or you have faulty hardware.

David Candy wrote:
> You are confused or you have faulty hardware.

Or both.

--
Peace!
Kurt

Take responsibility for your namesake.

"Al Smith" <invalid@address.com> wrote in message news:pl_Ee.64844$Ph4.2034463@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca...
>>>It the Windows activation that will
>>

>> Completely false. There is no such issue at all. If that's been
>> your experience, something else is seriously wrong.
>
> It is sort of creative misinformation, though, don't you think? I
> say we give him points for that.

You only need to set what you set previously. Probably nothing. I have not seen a battery go flat in under 10 years.

"Dave Neve" <NoAddressForSpammers@Nofs.fr> wrote in message news:ebhqg0NkFHA.3288@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Wow
>
> About 15 answers to what I thought was a mundane little question.
>
> I'd lile to proceed to change the battery as my computer is about 4 years
> old.
>
> Is the information below enought to reset the BIOS after changing the
> battery.
>
> The info was gathered using Sandra 2005.
>
> If not, how can I get more info from the BIOS?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Dave Neve

> General Capabilities
> Can be Updated/Flashed : Yes
> Can be Shadowed : Yes
> Is Socketed : Yes
> Supports Plug & Play : Yes
> Supports ESCD : Yes
> Supports Enhanced Disk Drive : Yes
> NEC PC-98 Spec Compatible : No
>
> Power Management Features
> Supports APM : Yes
> Supports ACPI : Yes
> Supports Smart Battery : No
>
> Boot Features
> Supports Selective Booting : Yes
> Supports CD/DVD Boot : Yes
> Supports PCMCIA/CardBus Boot : No
> Supports LS-120 Boot : Yes
> Supports ZIP Boot : Yes
> Supports i2o Boot : No
> Supports FireWire/1394 Boot : No
>
> "Al Smith" <invalid@address.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
> Mj_Ee.64843$Ph4.2034463@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca...
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I'm about to go on holiday and I would like to know for how long I can
>>> turn off the electricity without the battery in the Bios going flat.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Dave Neve
>>
>> If the computer is fairly new -- less than two years -- you can turn it
>> off for as long as you like. If it is four years old or older, you may
>> have a problem if you leave it off for weeks, but only if the battery is
>> ready to fail. If the battery is near the end of its life cycle, it will
>> hold a charge for a few hours, or a day or two, but won't hold it any
>> longer. But those batteries last a long, long time. You're settings are
>> probably safe enough.

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 22:41:45 +0200, "Dave Neve"
<NoAddressForSpammers@Nofs.fr> wrote:

>Hi
>
>I'm about to go on holiday and I would like to know for how long I can turn
>off the electricity without the battery in the Bios going flat.
>
>Thanks
>
>Dave Neve

Although you have gotten tons of advice, I'd just like to add that
your computer CMOS battery and WinXP are not related in any way. As
this is an XP board, your question is most certainly off-topic here.

"NobodyMan" <none@none.net> wrote in message
> On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 22:41:45 +0200, "Dave Neve"
> <NoAddressForSpammers@Nofs.fr> wrote:
>
> >Hi
> >
> >I'm about to go on holiday and I would like to know for how long I can
turn
> >off the electricity without the battery in the Bios going flat.
> >
> >Thanks
> >
> >Dave Neve
> >

> Although you have gotten tons of advice, I'd just like to add that
> your computer CMOS battery and WinXP are not related in any way. As
> this is an XP board, your question is most certainly off-topic here.

I sure wish I could afford to go on a vacation long enough to have
to worry about the battery for the CMOS running down !!!

mikey

"Mike Fields" <spam_me_not_mr.gadget2@comcast.net> wrote in message

> "NobodyMan" <none@none.net> wrote in message
> > On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 22:41:45 +0200, "Dave Neve"
> > <NoAddressForSpammers@Nofs.fr> wrote:
> >
> > >Hi
> > >
> > >I'm about to go on holiday and I would like to know for how long I can
> turn
> > >off the electricity without the battery in the Bios going flat.
> > >
> > >Thanks
> > >
> > >Dave Neve
> > >

> > Although you have gotten tons of advice, I'd just like to add that
> > your computer CMOS battery and WinXP are not related in any way. As
> > this is an XP board, your question is most certainly off-topic here.
> >

> I sure wish I could afford to go on a vacation long enough to have
> to worry about the battery for the CMOS running down !!!
>
> mikey
If your clock has been keeping good time while the PC is turned off (Powered
down) you should have no worry. Especially if you have a record of your BIOS
settings. Batteries should be good for 3-5 years, and the classic indication of
a weakening battery is clock malfunction. Have a good vcaation.