faulty comp PLEASE HELP!

colbyhorsman

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
my computer randomly crashes, everything freezes and the monitor turns off. The only way to use it again is to hold the power switch. Sometimes it will last 30 seconds some times 30 hours but it always crashes, i thought it might be the powersource so i replaced it, it did nothing, i thought it might be the heatsink so i bought a new one, didnt help. It is a celeron 533 with 198 megs of ram and a 15 gig hd

dhlucke

Polypheme
You need to list everything you have including the brand.

<font color=red>I'd like to dedicate this post to all my friends, family, and fans. Without them this post would never have been possible. Thank you!</font color=red>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
hmmm
well rule out the PSU.
run MEMTEST86 for 30mins or so to make sure your ram is behaving itself.
run Mothernoard Monitor to check your system temps and voltages.
run Prime95 or seti@home or sandra burn-in utility while watching the motehrboard monitor display screen. see if the temperature fluctuates greatly or voltages dip more that 5%.
also try downloading a hard drive diagnostic program from the HDD manufacturers website, see if the drive is ok.

<b><font color=blue>I prefer to blend into the background, because it's much easier to sneak up on people and disembowel them that way. Arr!</b></font color=blue>