Can't Delete Hidden TMP Files

For some reason, I have about 200 temporary files in the Windows\Temp
folder that look a lot like registry entries. They are hidden files,
and I have been unable to delete them. They all begin with CS, and
have a time-stamp that coincides with bootup. Here is one:
CS2F1A1E2B-3FE4-44EE-80E5-22C16FD91008.tmp

I get an error message that the files are in use, but I can't figure
out what is using them. I also tried to access them from Safe Mode
command prompt. They don't show up there.
8 answers Last reply
More about delete hidden files

    I have similar files but not as long; they are CS****.tmp and I found out
    they were being created by the latest version of Spy Sweeper. (I have 4.0.3)
    I complained to them about filling up my \tmp folder with their trash and if
    it is required for Spy Sweeper to run they should create their own file
    extension and leave \tmp and *.tmp alone. Tech support was passing the
    info/complaint to whoever controls things. No answer yet beyond that.

    My XP is on a FAT32 system and I dual boot to DOS so in that mode I can
    delete the files in the \tmp folder.

    "Dick" <LeadWinger> wrote in message
    > For some reason, I have about 200 temporary files in the Windows\Temp
    > folder that look a lot like registry entries. They are hidden files,
    > and I have been unable to delete them. They all begin with CS, and
    > have a time-stamp that coincides with bootup. Here is one:
    > CS2F1A1E2B-3FE4-44EE-80E5-22C16FD91008.tmp
    >
    > I get an error message that the files are in use, but I can't figure
    > out what is using them. I also tried to access them from Safe Mode
    > command prompt. They don't show up there.

    Try to delete them with internet explorer. Tools > Internet Options >
    Delete Files tab.

    --
    BSchwarz

    Didn't faze them.

    On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 16:19:25 -0500, BSchwarz
    <BSchwarz.1sp0va@no-mx.gateway.localhost> wrote:

    >Try to delete them with internet explorer. Tools > Internet Options >
    >Delete Files tab.

    That was it! I disabled Spy Sweeper on startup, and the files
    disappeared! Thanks a lot. My drives are NTFS and I don't know how
    to get to them without windows running.

    Dick

    On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 14:34:33 -0700, "Jerry" <NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com>
    wrote:

    >I have similar files but not as long; they are CS****.tmp and I found out
    >they were being created by the latest version of Spy Sweeper. (I have 4.0.3)
    >I complained to them about filling up my \tmp folder with their trash and if
    >it is required for Spy Sweeper to run they should create their own file
    >extension and leave \tmp and *.tmp alone. Tech support was passing the
    >info/complaint to whoever controls things. No answer yet beyond that.
    >
    >My XP is on a FAT32 system and I dual boot to DOS so in that mode I can
    >delete the files in the \tmp folder.
    >
    >"Dick" <LeadWinger> wrote in message
    >> For some reason, I have about 200 temporary files in the Windows\Temp
    >> folder that look a lot like registry entries. They are hidden files,
    >> and I have been unable to delete them. They all begin with CS, and
    >> have a time-stamp that coincides with bootup. Here is one:
    >> CS2F1A1E2B-3FE4-44EE-80E5-22C16FD91008.tmp
    >>
    >> I get an error message that the files are in use, but I can't figure
    >> out what is using them. I also tried to access them from Safe Mode
    >> command prompt. They don't show up there.

    Hi,

    This utility should show you what is using them:
    http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Dick" <LeadWinger> wrote in message
    > For some reason, I have about 200 temporary files in the Windows\Temp
    > folder that look a lot like registry entries. They are hidden files,
    > and I have been unable to delete them. They all begin with CS, and
    > have a time-stamp that coincides with bootup. Here is one:
    > CS2F1A1E2B-3FE4-44EE-80E5-22C16FD91008.tmp
    >
    > I get an error message that the files are in use, but I can't figure
    > out what is using them. I also tried to access them from Safe Mode
    > command prompt. They don't show up there.

    Thanks Rick. Interesting utility, but even knowing now that the files
    come from Spy Sweeper, it doesn't associate these temp files with SW.

    On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 17:39:05 -0400, "Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers"
    <rick@mvps.org> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >This utility should show you what is using them:
    >http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html

    "Dick" <LeadWinger> wrote in message
    > For some reason, I have about 200 temporary files in the Windows\Temp
    > folder that look a lot like registry entries. They are hidden files,
    > and I have been unable to delete them. They all begin with CS, and
    > have a time-stamp that coincides with bootup. Here is one:
    > CS2F1A1E2B-3FE4-44EE-80E5-22C16FD91008.tmp
    >
    > I get an error message that the files are in use, but I can't figure
    > out what is using them. I also tried to access them from Safe Mode
    > command prompt. They don't show up there.

    You haven't mentioned the most obvious thing- try an anti-virus scan and
    spyware scans using up to date definitions.

    On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 22:35:07 +0100, "Alan Smith" <alan@hidden.email>
    wrote:

    >"Dick" <LeadWinger> wrote in message
    >> For some reason, I have about 200 temporary files in the Windows\Temp
    >> folder that look a lot like registry entries. They are hidden files,
    >> and I have been unable to delete them. They all begin with CS, and
    >> have a time-stamp that coincides with bootup. Here is one:
    >> CS2F1A1E2B-3FE4-44EE-80E5-22C16FD91008.tmp
    >>
    >> I get an error message that the files are in use, but I can't figure
    >> out what is using them. I also tried to access them from Safe Mode
    >> command prompt. They don't show up there.
    >
    >You haven't mentioned the most obvious thing- try an anti-virus scan and
    >spyware scans using up to date definitions.

    Everything is up-to-date. Norton, Zone Alarm, Spy Sweeper and
    Microsoft's beta Antispyware.

Windows XP