Tags:
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
July 24, 2005 5:57:12 PM

For some reason, I have about 200 temporary files in the Windows\Temp
folder that look a lot like registry entries. They are hidden files,
and I have been unable to delete them. They all begin with CS, and
have a time-stamp that coincides with bootup. Here is one:
CS2F1A1E2B-3FE4-44EE-80E5-22C16FD91008.tmp

I get an error message that the files are in use, but I can't figure
out what is using them. I also tried to access them from Safe Mode
command prompt. They don't show up there.

More about : delete hidden tmp files

July 24, 2005 6:34:33 PM

I have similar files but not as long; they are CS****.tmp and I found out
they were being created by the latest version of Spy Sweeper. (I have 4.0.3)
I complained to them about filling up my \tmp folder with their trash and if
it is required for Spy Sweeper to run they should create their own file
extension and leave \tmp and *.tmp alone. Tech support was passing the
info/complaint to whoever controls things. No answer yet beyond that.

My XP is on a FAT32 system and I dual boot to DOS so in that mode I can
delete the files in the \tmp folder.

"Dick" <LeadWinger> wrote in message
> For some reason, I have about 200 temporary files in the Windows\Temp
> folder that look a lot like registry entries. They are hidden files,
> and I have been unable to delete them. They all begin with CS, and
> have a time-stamp that coincides with bootup. Here is one:
> CS2F1A1E2B-3FE4-44EE-80E5-22C16FD91008.tmp
>
> I get an error message that the files are in use, but I can't figure
> out what is using them. I also tried to access them from Safe Mode
> command prompt. They don't show up there.
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 8:19:25 PM

Try to delete them with internet explorer. Tools > Internet Options >
Delete Files tab.

--
BSchwarz
July 24, 2005 9:03:20 PM

Didn't faze them.

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 16:19:25 -0500, BSchwarz
<BSchwarz.1sp0va@no-mx.gateway.localhost> wrote:

>Try to delete them with internet explorer. Tools > Internet Options >
>Delete Files tab.
July 24, 2005 9:12:43 PM

That was it! I disabled Spy Sweeper on startup, and the files
disappeared! Thanks a lot. My drives are NTFS and I don't know how
to get to them without windows running.

Dick

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 14:34:33 -0700, "Jerry" <NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com>
wrote:

>I have similar files but not as long; they are CS****.tmp and I found out
>they were being created by the latest version of Spy Sweeper. (I have 4.0.3)
>I complained to them about filling up my \tmp folder with their trash and if
>it is required for Spy Sweeper to run they should create their own file
>extension and leave \tmp and *.tmp alone. Tech support was passing the
>info/complaint to whoever controls things. No answer yet beyond that.
>
>My XP is on a FAT32 system and I dual boot to DOS so in that mode I can
>delete the files in the \tmp folder.
>
>"Dick" <LeadWinger> wrote in message
>> For some reason, I have about 200 temporary files in the Windows\Temp
>> folder that look a lot like registry entries. They are hidden files,
>> and I have been unable to delete them. They all begin with CS, and
>> have a time-stamp that coincides with bootup. Here is one:
>> CS2F1A1E2B-3FE4-44EE-80E5-22C16FD91008.tmp
>>
>> I get an error message that the files are in use, but I can't figure
>> out what is using them. I also tried to access them from Safe Mode
>> command prompt. They don't show up there.

Anonymous
July 24, 2005 9:39:05 PM

Hi,

This utility should show you what is using them:
http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.h...

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Dick" <LeadWinger> wrote in message
> For some reason, I have about 200 temporary files in the Windows\Temp
> folder that look a lot like registry entries. They are hidden files,
> and I have been unable to delete them. They all begin with CS, and
> have a time-stamp that coincides with bootup. Here is one:
> CS2F1A1E2B-3FE4-44EE-80E5-22C16FD91008.tmp
>
> I get an error message that the files are in use, but I can't figure
> out what is using them. I also tried to access them from Safe Mode
> command prompt. They don't show up there.
July 24, 2005 9:39:06 PM

Thanks Rick. Interesting utility, but even knowing now that the files
come from Spy Sweeper, it doesn't associate these temp files with SW.

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 17:39:05 -0400, "Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers"
<rick@mvps.org> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>This utility should show you what is using them:
>http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.h...
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 2:35:07 AM

"Dick" <LeadWinger> wrote in message
> For some reason, I have about 200 temporary files in the Windows\Temp
> folder that look a lot like registry entries. They are hidden files,
> and I have been unable to delete them. They all begin with CS, and
> have a time-stamp that coincides with bootup. Here is one:
> CS2F1A1E2B-3FE4-44EE-80E5-22C16FD91008.tmp
>
> I get an error message that the files are in use, but I can't figure
> out what is using them. I also tried to access them from Safe Mode
> command prompt. They don't show up there.

You haven't mentioned the most obvious thing- try an anti-virus scan and
spyware scans using up to date definitions.
July 25, 2005 2:35:08 AM

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 22:35:07 +0100, "Alan Smith" <alan@hidden.email>
wrote:

>"Dick" <LeadWinger> wrote in message
>> For some reason, I have about 200 temporary files in the Windows\Temp
>> folder that look a lot like registry entries. They are hidden files,
>> and I have been unable to delete them. They all begin with CS, and
>> have a time-stamp that coincides with bootup. Here is one:
>> CS2F1A1E2B-3FE4-44EE-80E5-22C16FD91008.tmp
>>
>> I get an error message that the files are in use, but I can't figure
>> out what is using them. I also tried to access them from Safe Mode
>> command prompt. They don't show up there.
>
>You haven't mentioned the most obvious thing- try an anti-virus scan and
>spyware scans using up to date definitions.

Everything is up-to-date. Norton, Zone Alarm, Spy Sweeper and
Microsoft's beta Antispyware.