  • Boot
  • Keyboards
  • Windows XP
July 25, 2005 3:02:24 AM

Hi,

Sometimes when I boot windows xp I can't enter the password. The keyboard
simply doesn't respond.

Has anybody else had this "experience" ;)

(To me it seems like the keyboard handler failed to hook up properly or
something ;)
Maybe they forgot to turn off interrupts and when the keyboard hook gets
replaced an interrupt happens messing up the hook up or something like that
:) )

Bye,
Skybuck.

More about : enter password boot

Anonymous
July 25, 2005 3:02:25 AM

Using your mouse, direct the pointer to the password box,
then click to obtain a blinking cursor, then use your keyboard
to enter the password, then press the ENTER key.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Skybuck Flying" wrote:

| Hi,
|
| Sometimes when I boot windows xp I can't enter the password. The keyboard
| simply doesn't respond.
|
| Has anybody else had this "experience" ;)
|
| (To me it seems like the keyboard handler failed to hook up properly or
| something ;)
| Maybe they forgot to turn off interrupts and when the keyboard hook gets
| replaced an interrupt happens messing up the hook up or something like that
| :) )
|
| Bye,
| Skybuck.
July 25, 2005 3:02:26 AM

mm. you should try On-screen keyboard. I have it set to diplay during
logon in wi. 200, so xp should be able to do the same.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Using your mouse, direct the pointer to the password box,
> then click to obtain a blinking cursor, then use your keyboard
> to enter the password, then press the ENTER key.
>
> --
> Carey Frischoiu6
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Skybuck Flying" wrote:
>
> | Hi,
> |
> | Sometimes when I boot windows xp I can't enter the password. The keyboard
> | simply doesn't respond.
> |
> | Has anybody else had this "experience" ;)
> |
> | (To me it seems like the keyboard handler failed to hook up properly or
> | something ;)
> | Maybe they forgot to turn off interrupts and when the keyboard hook gets
> | replaced an interrupt happens messing up the hook up or something like that
> | :) )
> |
> | Bye,
> | Skybuck.

July 25, 2005 6:40:03 AM

Hello Skybuck,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

First, thanks for Carey and Ryan's notification!

From your post, you cannot enter password during the logon process.

Based on my experience, if your password is composed of numbers, please
confirm if the Number Lock has been opened.

To determine if the problem is related to the keyboard, also please replace
another one to test.

Regarding the On-screen keyboard, you may refer to the articles. Also you
may find more information from web sites.
Turn On and Use On-Screen Keyboard
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/accessibility/...

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Partner Support

Newsgroup Web Interface Upgrade
Please complete a one-time registration process on your first visit to the
Partner Portal beginning July 11, 2005 at 9 A.M. PST by entering the secure
code mspp2005 when prompted. This secure code will be valid for 6 months
after which you will need to update your registration by entering the new
secure code. We will post announcements in the newsgroups prior to
expiration. Once you have entered the secure code mspp2005 , you will be
able to update your profile and access the the partner newsgroups. Please
update your Favorites link to the newsgroups web page, your current link
will redirect until November 1, 2005.
Please post any comment, questions or concerns to the
microsoft.private.directaccess.partnerfeedback newsgroup. For more
information, please go to:
https://partner.microsoft.com/global/technicalsupport/r...
4662

--------------------

---------------

| > "Skybuck Flying" wrote:
| >
| > | Hi,
| > |
| > | Sometimes when I boot windows xp I can't enter the password. The
keyboard
| > | simply doesn't respond.
| > |
| > | Has anybody else had this "experience" ;)
| > |
| > | (To me it seems like the keyboard handler failed to hook up properly
or
| > | something ;)
| > | Maybe they forgot to turn off interrupts and when the keyboard hook
gets
| > | replaced an interrupt happens messing up the hook up or something
like that
| > | :) )
| > |
| > | Bye,
| > | Skybuck.

Anonymous
July 25, 2005 6:58:13 AM

Skybuck Flying wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sometimes when I boot windows xp I can't enter the password. The keyboard
> simply doesn't respond.
>
> Has anybody else had this "experience" ;)

I have this very occasionally. Not sure if it /the same/ problem.
When it happens for me both the keyboard & the mouse are unresponsive.
(I think i've seen that if i happen to move the mouse while waiting for
the logon dialog-window there is a little little time that the pointer
is moving but then both the mouse and keyboard becomes inoperable.)

> (To me it seems like the keyboard handler failed to hook up properly or
> something ;)
> Maybe they forgot to turn off interrupts and when the keyboard hook gets
> replaced an interrupt happens messing up the hook up or something like that
> :) )

I have no clue as for the reason, but since i use wireless mouse and
keyboard, i have speculated on it being that the mouse/keyboard receiver
perhaps ... well, it happens so seldom i haven't put any effort into
troubleshooting it.

--
Please followup in newsgroup.
E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.

Hello Skybuck,

Have you any update?

> [...]

| Newsgroup Web Interface Upgrade
| Please complete a one-time registration process on your first visit to
the
| Partner Portal beginning July 11, 2005 at 9 A.M. PST by entering the
secure
| code mspp2005 when prompted. This secure code will be valid for 6 months
| after which you will need to update your registration by entering the new
| secure code. We will post announcements in the newsgroups prior to
| expiration. Once you have entered the secure code mspp2005 , you will be
| able to update your profile and access the the partner newsgroups. Please
| update your Favorites link to the newsgroups web page, your current link
| will redirect until November 1, 2005.
| Please post any comment, questions or concerns to the
| microsoft.private.directaccess.partnerfeedback newsgroup. For more

| |
| | mm. you should try On-screen keyboard. I have it set to diplay
during
| | logon in wi. 200, so xp should be able to do the same.
| |
| | "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
| |
| | > Using your mouse, direct the pointer to the password box,
| | > then click to obtain a blinking cursor, then use your keyboard
| | > to enter the password, then press the ENTER key.
| | >
| | > --
| | > Carey Frischoiu6
| | > Microsoft MVP
| | > Windows XP - Shell/User
| | > Microsoft Newsgroups
| | >
| | > Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
| | > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/window...

| | > |
| keyboard
| | > |