Sometimes can't enter password on boot

Hi,

Sometimes when I boot windows xp I can't enter the password. The keyboard
simply doesn't respond.

Has anybody else had this "experience" ;)

(To me it seems like the keyboard handler failed to hook up properly or
something ;)
Maybe they forgot to turn off interrupts and when the keyboard hook gets
replaced an interrupt happens messing up the hook up or something like that
:))

Bye,
Skybuck.
5 answers Last reply
More about sometimes enter password boot

    Using your mouse, direct the pointer to the password box,
    then click to obtain a blinking cursor, then use your keyboard
    to enter the password, then press the ENTER key.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Skybuck Flying" wrote:

    | Hi,
    |
    | Sometimes when I boot windows xp I can't enter the password. The keyboard
    | simply doesn't respond.
    |
    | Has anybody else had this "experience" ;)
    |
    | (To me it seems like the keyboard handler failed to hook up properly or
    | something ;)
    | Maybe they forgot to turn off interrupts and when the keyboard hook gets
    | replaced an interrupt happens messing up the hook up or something like that
    | :))
    |
    | Bye,
    | Skybuck.

    mm. you should try On-screen keyboard. I have it set to diplay during
    logon in wi. 200, so xp should be able to do the same.

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > Using your mouse, direct the pointer to the password box,
    > then click to obtain a blinking cursor, then use your keyboard
    > to enter the password, then press the ENTER key.
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frischoiu6
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "Skybuck Flying" wrote:
    >
    > | Hi,
    > |
    > | Sometimes when I boot windows xp I can't enter the password. The keyboard
    > | simply doesn't respond.
    > |
    > | Has anybody else had this "experience" ;)
    > |
    > | (To me it seems like the keyboard handler failed to hook up properly or
    > | something ;)
    > | Maybe they forgot to turn off interrupts and when the keyboard hook gets
    > | replaced an interrupt happens messing up the hook up or something like that
    > | :))
    > |
    > | Bye,
    > | Skybuck.

    Hello Skybuck,

    Thank you for using newsgroup!

    First, thanks for Carey and Ryan's notification!

    From your post, you cannot enter password during the logon process.

    Based on my experience, if your password is composed of numbers, please
    confirm if the Number Lock has been opened.

    To determine if the problem is related to the keyboard, also please replace
    another one to test.

    Regarding the On-screen keyboard, you may refer to the articles. Also you
    may find more information from web sites.
    Turn On and Use On-Screen Keyboard
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/accessibility/oskturnonuse.mspx

    Thanks & Regards,

    Ken Zhao

    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    Newsgroup Web Interface Upgrade
    Please complete a one-time registration process on your first visit to the
    Partner Portal beginning July 11, 2005 at 9 A.M. PST by entering the secure
    code mspp2005 when prompted. This secure code will be valid for 6 months
    after which you will need to update your registration by entering the new
    secure code. We will post announcements in the newsgroups prior to
    expiration. Once you have entered the secure code mspp2005 , you will be
    able to update your profile and access the the partner newsgroups. Please
    update your Favorites link to the newsgroups web page, your current link
    will redirect until November 1, 2005.
    Please post any comment, questions or concerns to the
    microsoft.private.directaccess.partnerfeedback newsgroup. For more
    information, please go to:
    https://partner.microsoft.com/global/technicalsupport/registeredsupport/4001
    4662

    --------------------

    ---------------

    | > "Skybuck Flying" wrote:
    | >
    | > | Hi,
    | > |
    | > | Sometimes when I boot windows xp I can't enter the password. The
    keyboard
    | > | simply doesn't respond.
    | > |
    | > | Has anybody else had this "experience" ;)
    | > |
    | > | (To me it seems like the keyboard handler failed to hook up properly
    or
    | > | something ;)
    | > | Maybe they forgot to turn off interrupts and when the keyboard hook
    gets
    | > | replaced an interrupt happens messing up the hook up or something
    like that
    | > | :))
    | > |

    Skybuck Flying wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Sometimes when I boot windows xp I can't enter the password. The keyboard
    > simply doesn't respond.
    >
    > Has anybody else had this "experience" ;)

    I have this very occasionally. Not sure if it /the same/ problem.
    When it happens for me both the keyboard & the mouse are unresponsive.
    (I think i've seen that if i happen to move the mouse while waiting for
    the logon dialog-window there is a little little time that the pointer
    is moving but then both the mouse and keyboard becomes inoperable.)

    > (To me it seems like the keyboard handler failed to hook up properly or
    > something ;)
    > Maybe they forgot to turn off interrupts and when the keyboard hook gets
    > replaced an interrupt happens messing up the hook up or something like that
    > :))

    I have no clue as for the reason, but since i use wireless mouse and
    keyboard, i have speculated on it being that the mouse/keyboard receiver
    perhaps ... well, it happens so seldom i haven't put any effort into
    troubleshooting it.

    --
    Please followup in newsgroup.
    E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.

    Hello Skybuck,

    Have you any update?

> [...]

    | Newsgroup Web Interface Upgrade
    | Please complete a one-time registration process on your first visit to
    the
    | Partner Portal beginning July 11, 2005 at 9 A.M. PST by entering the
    secure
    | code mspp2005 when prompted. This secure code will be valid for 6 months
    | after which you will need to update your registration by entering the new
    | secure code. We will post announcements in the newsgroups prior to
    | expiration. Once you have entered the secure code mspp2005 , you will be
    | able to update your profile and access the the partner newsgroups. Please
    | update your Favorites link to the newsgroups web page, your current link
    | will redirect until November 1, 2005.
    | Please post any comment, questions or concerns to the
    | microsoft.private.directaccess.partnerfeedback newsgroup. For more

    | |
    | | mm. you should try On-screen keyboard. I have it set to diplay
    during
    | | logon in wi. 200, so xp should be able to do the same.
    | |
    | | "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
    | |
    | | > Using your mouse, direct the pointer to the password box,
    | | > then click to obtain a blinking cursor, then use your keyboard
    | | > to enter the password, then press the ENTER key.
    | | >
    | | > --
    | | > Carey Frischoiu6
    | | > Microsoft MVP
    | | > Windows XP - Shell/User
    | | > Microsoft Newsgroups
    | | >
    | | > Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
    | | > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

    | ---------------

    | | > |
    | keyboard