Closed

How to share Favorites between all user accounts?

July 25, 2005 3:33:38 AM

I like to share certain Internet Favorites between all user accounts.

Tried to move Favorites to 'All users' account but unlike
the Start Menu, All users' Favorites does not show up in all user accounts.

Tried a shortcut, works for using Internet links but 'Add to Favorites'
doesn't work.

Any suggestions?
John7
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 3:48:06 AM

John7 wrote:

> I like to share certain Internet Favorites between all user accounts.
>
> Tried to move Favorites to 'All users' account but unlike
> the Start Menu, All users' Favorites does not show up in all user accounts.
>
> Tried a shortcut, works for using Internet links but 'Add to Favorites'
> doesn't work.
>
> Any suggestions?
> John7
Hi,

E.g. with regedit.exe, edit the Favorites registry value under the
registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows
\CurrentVersion \Explorer\Shell Folders\ to point to a common folder.

You need to do this for each user account.

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
July 25, 2005 4:45:55 AM

"Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" <Torgeir.Bakken-spam@hydro.com> schreef in bericht
> John7 wrote:
>
> > I like to share certain Internet Favorites between all user accounts.
> >
> > Tried to move Favorites to 'All users' account but unlike
> > the Start Menu, All users' Favorites does not show up in all user
accounts.

> > Tried a shortcut, works for using Internet links but 'Add to Favorites'
> > doesn't work.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> > John7
> Hi,
>
> E.g. with regedit.exe, edit the Favorites registry value under the
> registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows
> \CurrentVersion \Explorer\Shell Folders\ to point to a common folder.
>
> You need to do this for each user account.

> the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/default.m...

Thx for responding.

Your solution would change the general Favorites path.
Actually I would like each user to have his personal favorites
PLUS one common sub folder in Favorites.

John7
July 25, 2005 12:51:12 PM

Not in XP as such. You could try putting a reparse point in each users favourites to a common folder. Dunno if it will work.

LinkD is a command-line tool that links an NTFS file system folder to a target object. If the source and destination folders are targeted to a mapped drive (to a remote computer share), LinkD reports that a successful link is created but the reparse does not work. LinkD grafts the target name directly into the name space at the specified source directory. The source directory subsequently acts as a name-surrogate or junction point, standing in for the target object in the directory tree.

The source directory:

a.. Must reside on a drive formatted with NTFS 3.0.
b.. Must be empty
The destination or target:

a.. Can be any valid Microsoft Windows directory name, device name, or object name.
b.. Both the source and target must reside on drive(s) attached to the same machine. LinkD will not work across machines.
When the target name does not resolve to a directory or a device, open calls fail.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyi...
"John7" <nosp@mm.com> wrote in message news:D c15mv$1uj$1@news3.zwoll1.ov.home.nl...
> "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" <Torgeir.Bakken-spam@hydro.com> schreef in bericht
>> John7 wrote:
>>
>> > I like to share certain Internet Favorites between all user accounts.
>> >
>> > Tried to move Favorites to 'All users' account but unlike
>> > the Start Menu, All users' Favorites does not show up in all user
> accounts.
>> >
>> > Tried a shortcut, works for using Internet links but 'Add to Favorites'
>> > doesn't work.
>> >
>> > Any suggestions?
>> > John7
>> Hi,
>>
>> E.g. with regedit.exe, edit the Favorites registry value under the
>> registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows
>> \CurrentVersion \Explorer\Shell Folders\ to point to a common folder.
>>
>> You need to do this for each user account.
>>

>> --
>> torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway
>> Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of
>> the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/default.m...
>
> Thx for responding.
>
> Your solution would change the general Favorites path.
> Actually I would like each user to have his personal favorites
> PLUS one common sub folder in Favorites.
>
> John7

Anonymous
July 26, 2005 1:27:16 AM

David,

Linkd did the job.
Thx for pointing me to this tool.
Never knew it existed.

John7

news:o Dyf3IKkFHA.1968@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

----

----------------------
"John7" <nosp@mm.com> wrote in message
news:D c15mv$1uj$1@news3.zwoll1.ov.home.nl...
> "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" <Torgeir.Bakken-spam@hydro.com> schreef in bericht
>> John7 wrote:
>>
>> > I like to share certain Internet Favorites between all user accounts.
>> >
>> > Tried to move Favorites to 'All users' account but unlike
>> > the Start Menu, All users' Favorites does not show up in all user
> accounts.
>> >
>> > Tried a shortcut, works for using Internet links but 'Add to Favorites'
>> > doesn't work.
>> >
>> > Any suggestions?
>> > John7
>> Hi,
>>
>> E.g. with regedit.exe, edit the Favorites registry value under the
>> registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows
>> \CurrentVersion \Explorer\Shell Folders\ to point to a common folder.
>>
>> You need to do this for each user account.
>>

>> --
>> torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway
>> Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of
>> the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/default.m...
>
> Thx for responding.
>
> Your solution would change the general Favorites path.
> Actually I would like each user to have his personal favorites
> PLUS one common sub folder in Favorites.
>
> John7

Anonymous
April 24, 2010 3:12:55 PM

i dont know
Anonymous
April 24, 2010 3:12:57 PM

i created a blog and is now visible in mumtrip-rajatsridhar88.blogspot.com. I want to make it famous to the whole world .what do I do?
April 25, 2010 6:06:23 AM

You need to put it into a new thread, instead of attaching it to a 5-year-old post.
Anonymous
April 25, 2010 11:28:44 AM

Necropost.
!