Need help - small office file/email sharing

acapte

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
I need help. We have a small office with 4-5 people working in it at any given time. The computer we were using as a serever - mainly as a central file storage, died yesterday during a power outage and I need to come up with a new solution. Fortunately, we did have backup, so not all data is lost.

Here is the setup.

1 server HP Pavillion A775C (5 years
old)
5 dektops HP Slimline (4) and Compaq
Presario (all HP slimlines have
built in wireless)
2-3 wireless laptops
1 Wireless Network router - NetGear
1 DSL/Broadband connection AT&T
1 Richo printer/scanner/fax networked
1 external HDD for backup

We stored all files on the HP server for central storage and accessed them via all other computers, desktops and laptops. Network access was slow but working.

We also have 1 common email id and since everyone accesses that email, all emails have to be downloaded from the email server on each desktop, creating tremendous duplication and wastage of space. Would ideally like to download all emails on the office server from where all users can access it without duplication.

No common applications are run on the server. We use Windows XP and Windows Vista OS's and MS office suite (word, powerpoint, excel, outlook) on each computer.

Any recommendations on file server?
I would like to remove the hard drive from the old computer and put it in the new computer to easily transfer old fies.

Also, is there a multi-user version of MS office so we can install all word/excel etc apps on the server which can be accessed from wired and wireless computers?

Oh, one other thing, to share files between computers, I have to turn off firewalls on each desktop. I am sure there is a simple answer around it, but I don't know.

There are no technical users in the office (it a healthcare related office.). Though I am technical, my knowledge is old.

Budget is extremel limited. Alternative is to buy another simuilar computer and use it as a server. Would windows 7 make a difference?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Atul

JessicaD

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
Acapte,

Windows 7 would definitely help in the area of networking and sharing as it helps to simplify the sharing process as a whole. To learn more about the features Windows 7 offers please go to the following link to take a virtual tour: http://bit.ly/7b1cY

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team

acapte

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009

Thanks Jessica for your info. I will definitely try. Does sharing include email sharing as well? We want to download emails in the central file server once from our host and let any computer on the network access that common email account. Can it be done?