Your question

Molex adapter for SATA drive

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • SATA
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
June 2, 2005 7:24:05 PM

I just got my new HD, which is SATA. Wanting to go cheap, I got an OEM box from newEgg. I didn't realize that you need an adapter to connect the regular 4-hole molex connector to the special SATA-style power connector on the drive. Have you guys heard of this? should this adapter have been included with the OEM drive? I was quite surprised to find this out when I opened the drive. I also got a new Aspire 520w power supply, but all of the connectors appear to be regular large 4-hole molex, or the smaller floppy drive power cables. Any thoughts?

More about : molex adapter sata drive

June 2, 2005 9:48:02 PM

Not a surprise here - I had the same thing happen to me last year with a Seagate, but I noticed it said adapter cable needed somewhere near there (might have been a review), so I knew to buy one. OEM means it's the bare drive without accessories. Some PSUs come with SATA power adapters built in, so its not always a 'required accessory'.

You can get an adapter from newegg for just a few bucks.

Mike.
June 3, 2005 3:34:47 AM

I have about 30 of those, I never throw anything out.

<b><font color=blue>Athlon64 3200+ Winchester/MSI Neo4 Platinum SLI/MSI 6800 Ultra/1 GB Kingston HyperX (Dual Channel)/74GB WD Raptor/600Watt Enermax Noisetaker/ Dual Mitsubishi 21 Inch Monitors</b></font color=blue>
June 4, 2005 7:20:22 AM

Yes, your motherboard should have included the adapters. All of my SATA-enabled boards have.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
!