[WFB] [40k] A Tale of RGMW Gamers Month 2

Right, now the summaries are up month 2 can officially begin, so here's my
second instalment:

THE STORY SO FAR

I have so far managed to assemble a basic core for my army and, as assembling
and painting imaginary models is a lot quicker than assembling and painting the
real thing, I've had time to work out a basic backstory for my army and its
leader. This is deliberately fairly basic and nonspecific - Kourzan's history
can be fleshed out later and I like my characters to start of with something of
a blank slate (if they start their gaming life with a trail of dead
Bloodthirsters left behind them anything they actually do in battle will be
something of a let down, after all...) However, I want to give my army a place
in the events affecting Naggaroth at the moment so a basic backstory is helpful
to give the army a theme. As I've already elected to give my army a ranged
focus supported by fast cavalry, I also wanted to incorporate this into the
backstory.

The tale of Dark Elf nobles is invariably a tale of bloodshed - for those few
who lack the necessary vicious streak, it is the tale of their blood being
shed. That Kourzan of Har Ganeth has survived both as a noble and as a military
commander reveals all that needs to be said of his character.

Kourzan's story contains little that is atypical for one of his kind. He began
his military career as a corsair raiding the coasts of the Old World. His
initiation in the way the Dark Elves wage war was one of cruelty, assassination
and a rise through the ranks that might have been regarded as suspiciously
rapid among lesser races, but which went unremarked among his kin.

As a commander of small raiding parties, Kourzan's attacks were directed
principally against settlements along the Estalian coast. Though most of his
assaults met little resistance he was called upon to engage local garrisons on
several occasions. In these encounters Kourzan exhibited a certain caution as a
commander, preferring to rely on missile fire to weaken the enemy before
committing his corsairs to the fray. A favoured tactic was to allow his enemies
to advance before outflanking them with fast cavalry, cutting them off from
support and from the settlements they were charged with defending.

Although this proved a useful distraction which permitted unengaged raiding
forces from the Black Ark to pillage the defenceless settlements at will,
Kourzan's defensive tactics were those of a military strategist better suited
to large open-field engagements than raiding actions. Kourzan's approach was
regarded as having only a limited application in a raiding party, and during
the events leading to the Chaos incursion into the Empire he was recalled to
Naggaroth. His new command was an army being readied to reinforce the invasion
of Ulthuan, but events overtook these plans. When Morathi's Cult of Slaanesh
revealed itself and marched on Lustria, factions in Naggaroth were quick to
take advantage of the power vacuum left by Morathi's absence, as the Witch King
was still pursuing counter-insurgency measures against the invading High Elves
led by the White Sword of Hoeth.

During this period of political instability individual nobles, once bound by
fear to the Witch King and his consort, found themselves having to judge
shifting political currents and choose sides. The military forces at their
command stayed with their commanders, few of whom wanted to leave Naggaroth and
risk dispossession if they found they had chosen poorly. Kourzan proved to be
politically astute, allying himself with Crone Hellebron who, with the support
of the Temple of Khaine, was quick to secure Naggarond for her cause. In so
doing she became the de facto ruler of Naggaroth in Malekith's absence.
Hellebron was eager to defend her position against Morathi, who she knew would
attempt to retake the city. She ordered the bulk of her forces loyal to her who
had remained in Naggaroth to stand ready for the Cult's attack, and Kourzan was
among those in that faction. However, at the same time Hellebron knows that the
Dark Elves won't tolerate any failure to capitalise on the gains made in
Ulthuan, nor the loss of slaves or revenue from a reduction in raiding
activities. Therefore, with her position secure for the time being, Hellebron
is once again sending forces to fight in Ulthuan and along the coasts of the
Old World. Kourzan and his army are once again being prepared for an assault on
Ulthuan, though it may again be that his force is required elsewhere before
these plans come to fruition.

Now, what do I need in order to assault Ulthuan? Last month I muttered about a
need for Dark Riders - I have £24.50, which isn't quite enough for the minimum
5 Dark Riders I'll need. As it stands my army lacks punch, as all its attacks
(bar those of Kourzan himself) are at S3.

"P Bowles" <pbowles@aol.com> wrote in message
> Right, now the summaries are up month 2 can officially begin, so here's my
> second instalment:
>
> THE STORY SO FAR

month 1
Sam Campbell/manickze (Cult of Slaanesh)

Dark Elf Sorceress (Mark of Slaanesh, Darkstar Cloak, Dispel Scroll)
Druchii Anointed (Blade of Ruin, Quickening Blood)
16 Dark Elf Warriors with spears and shields (full command, Mark of
Slaanesh)
12 Devoted of Slaanesh

Total: 822pts
Saved: AU$2.40

Month 2
Carry on $2.40 + $75 AU = $77.40

12 daemonettes $18 x (3 in a blister) = $72-10% = 64.8

And so on to the current list (it seems I miscalculated from last time by 40
pts)

Sorceress (90)
General
Mark of Slaanesh(20)
Darkstar cloak(20)
Dispel scroll(25)
155 pts

Druiichi anointed (235)
Quickening Blood (25)
Blade of Ruin (50)
315 pts

12 devoted of slaanesh
144 pts

16 Warriors
Full command, spear shield and mark of Slaanesh
173 pts

12 daemonettes
180 pts

Total points 962
cost $64.80
Carried on to next month $77.40 - 64.80 = $12.60

God this is an expensive army I worked it all out and I'll need another 6
months to buy this army at the rate I'm going.

P Bowles wrote:
> Right, now the summaries are up month 2 can officially begin, so here's my
> second instalment:
>
> THE STORY SO FAR

High elf commander Fëanáro, having just finished readying his troops for
the coming campaign, was eagerly awaiting the promised reinforcements
that the high command. Like most rookie commanders he was assigned a
small defensive force patrolling for dark elves or anyone else that
crossed his path. Still, Fëanáro thought it was a very odd mix of
troops. He hoped in is stops at various elven towns he would be able
to muster a larger fighting force and be able to fight in ever greater
battles and prove his worth the the Elven courts...

That said the reinforcements are:
1x Box Elf Spearmen 15
2x Blister Swordmasters 12
25+2(from last month)= 15+12 =27

Now I almost Went for the Dragon Princes Box for 25 as I have an exposed
mounted General. But I guess I just was not blokey enough and decided to
make my swordmasters a field able unit and reinforce the spear unit

The Army to date:
Commander Fëanáro 126
Sword of might
Dragon Scale Shield
Pure of Heart
Archer (15) 222
Captain
First Spearelves (20) 261
Full Command
Spearelves (10) 151
Full Command
Sword Masters (11) 186
Banelord
-Joe
Sword of Battle

Total: 966

1st Spear holds the center, Archers hold one flank with best LOS. 2nd
Spear hold other flank. Swordmasters and Commander Counter attack.