Normal.dot and Word 2000 problems

A colleague's computer (and therefore one that I've not been able to sit in
front of and examine closely) is displaying problems in Word. It's a clean
in stall of XP Pro with Office 2000, although I copied the old Windows ME
files onto a separate folder on the C drive.

The problem is best described in this extract from the email from my
colleague: "I opened Word this evening to be met by the message 'The file
Normal already exists. Do you want to replace the existing file?'. When you
go to close Word it says' Changes have been made that affect the global
template, Normal.dot, do you want to save those changes'. The problem with
this is that when you have been creating or working on a document and this
Normal template problem arise it loses all the unsaved material and you have
to start again."

Can anyone shed any light on what I might be able to advise to solve this
problem?

TIA

Word prompts me to save changes to the Normal.dot template
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA011514521033.aspx

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes