Sign in with
Your question

How do you add ram in laptops?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
October 11, 2009 6:06:34 PM

I want to get the Satellite A500 from Toshiba and it comes with 4gb of ram. How can I upgrade it to it's maximum of 8gb?

More about : add ram laptops

a b D Laptop
October 11, 2009 6:19:02 PM

vizering said:
I want to get the Satellite A500 from Toshiba and it comes with 4gb of ram. How can I upgrade it to it's maximum of 8gb?

With most laptops it's pretty easy. Most have compartments that are labeled. All you have to do is remove the screws holding the cover on, pull the cover off, remove the old RAM and add the new stuff. The only problem you may run into is that laptops generally only come with 2 slots for RAM and most base configurations use both of those slots. In other words, your system will most likely be coming with 2 x 2gb sticks. The problem arises in that you will have to buy a 2 x 4gb kit and they are pretty expensive for laptops. Anywhere from $290 to $400.

The A500 comes with DDR2-800, which means you are looking at something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The other question is, are you running a 64-bit operating system? If you aren't, don't bother since you won't be able to use more than 3.25-4 gb anyway.
October 12, 2009 10:50:55 PM

I don't have the laptop now, but I would like to get the Toshiba A500. I may just wait for a windows 7 release however.

Is it worth it at all to get 64-bit over 32?
Related resources
a b D Laptop
October 12, 2009 11:01:26 PM

^Only if you run programs that either need a 64-bit extension or need more than 4gb of RAM.
October 12, 2009 11:02:25 PM

I doubt I will hehe, it's mainly for school. The only games I plan to play are Wow, SC2 and Diablo 3 once released. I don't play many pc's games.
!