[40k]Rough Rider hunting lance vs meltabomb question

Namely, if you give a RR a hunting lance and either Krak grenades or
Meltabombs, do the lances automatically trigger if the first attack they
make is on a vehicle and you choose to use the bombs/grenades? The IG codex
says that RRs "automatically use the lance in the first close combat they
fight in a game, after which it cannot be used again." (p. 46)

So does an assault on a vehicle where the assaulting unit chooses to attach
bombs/grenades count as a true close combat for the purposes of triggering
this rule? It seems logical that since the RRs will not be getting any of
the benefits of the hunting lance in the turn they use bombs/grenades, that
the lances shouldn't be "used up," but the FAQ is (predictably) silent on
this. And a strict reading of the hunting lance rule Anyone aware of an
official position on this? Or do I just need to bounce my tank-hunting RRs
into a power armor unit first to get my points' worth out of the lances
before wheeling the survivors around and galloping for some enemy armor?

--
Ken Coble

berto

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2002

"Kenneth Coble" <flintlocklaser@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
> Namely, if you give a RR a hunting lance and either Krak grenades or
> Meltabombs, do the lances automatically trigger if the first attack they
> make is on a vehicle and you choose to use the bombs/grenades? The IG
> codex says that RRs "automatically use the lance in the first close combat
> they fight in a game, after which it cannot be used again." (p. 46)
>
> So does an assault on a vehicle where the assaulting unit chooses to
> attach bombs/grenades count as a true close combat for the purposes of
> triggering this rule? It seems logical that since the RRs will not be
> getting any of the benefits of the hunting lance in the turn they use
> bombs/grenades, that the lances shouldn't be "used up," but the FAQ is
> (predictably) silent on this. And a strict reading of the hunting lance
> rule Anyone aware of an official position on this? Or do I just need to
> bounce my tank-hunting RRs into a power armor unit first to get my points'
> worth out of the lances before wheeling the survivors around and galloping
> for some enemy armor?

I went all out and used WarZone bikes with lances and the old bikes in the
Dark Future for my horses. I did use other "horses" i.e. the Warzone
creatures that the soldiers rode on and exchanged them for beakies with the
binoculars and used an eldar lance. Then I used(again) Warzone dune buggies
as a replacement. I did convert a landspeeder to a Hummer. Found this in a
conversion site moons ago.

berto

"Kenneth Coble" <flintlocklaser@triad.rr.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Namely, if you give a RR a hunting lance and either Krak grenades or
> Meltabombs, do the lances automatically trigger if the first attack they
> make is on a vehicle and you choose to use the bombs/grenades? The IG
> codex says that RRs "automatically use the lance in the first close combat
> they fight in a game, after which it cannot be used again." (p. 46)
>
> So does an assault on a vehicle where the assaulting unit chooses to
> attach bombs/grenades count as a true close combat for the purposes of
> triggering this rule? It seems logical that since the RRs will not be
> getting any of the benefits of the hunting lance in the turn they use
> bombs/grenades, that the lances shouldn't be "used up," but the FAQ is
> (predictably) silent on this. And a strict reading of the hunting lance
> rule Anyone aware of an official position on this? Or do I just need to
> bounce my tank-hunting RRs into a power armor unit first to get my points'
> worth out of the lances before wheeling the survivors around and galloping
> for some enemy armor?

Tricky one, isn't it? I'd say you can choose wether to use the lance or the
bombs but either way loose the lance. See it like this: If your RR's use the
lances everything is okay. If they use bombs, they need their hands free and
so drop the lances.
OR
Your RR's are some sneaky bastards and combined the lances with the
meltabombs thus giving them both benefits...

--
Ecke

Newsgroup FAQ @ http://www.rgmw.org

Due to technology humankind produced weapons of mass destruction. Without
technology it would just take a bit longer.

"Berto" <Albertocarro@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> I went all out and used WarZone bikes with lances and the old bikes in the
> Dark Future for my horses. I did use other "horses" i.e. the Warzone
> creatures that the soldiers rode on and exchanged them for beakies with
> the binoculars and used an eldar lance. Then I used(again) Warzone dune
> buggies as a replacement. I did convert a landspeeder to a Hummer. Found
> this in a conversion site moons ago.

Did you actually read the original post at all? o_O
--
Jon Hedge,
"The chances are, I said it in jest."

First time e-mails should be tagged [RGMW] to make it through my spam
filter.

RGMW FAQ @ http://www.rgmw.org

Jon Hedge wrote:
> "Berto" <Albertocarro@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>

>> I went all out and used WarZone bikes with lances and the old bikes
>> in the Dark Future for my horses. I did use other "horses" i.e. the
>> Warzone creatures that the soldiers rode on and exchanged them for
>> beakies with the binoculars and used an eldar lance. Then I
>> used(again) Warzone dune buggies as a replacement. I did convert a
>> landspeeder to a Hummer. Found this in a conversion site moons ago.
>>

> Did you actually read the original post at all? o_O

I figure it was meant as a follow-up to my other post about how in God's
name one is to field Rough Riders that don't cost a billion dollars a unit.
I'm still not sure I've found a solution... But I am still hoping someone
can help me out with that rules question!

--
Ken Coble

Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world.
-Kaiser Wilhelm

berto

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2002

"Jon Hedge" <ihug.com.au@dopefish> wrote in message

> "Berto" <Albertocarro@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>

>> I went all out and used WarZone bikes with lances and the old bikes in
>> the Dark Future for my horses. I did use other "horses" i.e. the Warzone
>> creatures that the soldiers rode on and exchanged them for beakies with
>> the binoculars and used an eldar lance. Then I used(again) Warzone dune
>> buggies as a replacement. I did convert a landspeeder to a Hummer. Found
>> this in a conversion site moons ago.
>>

> Did you actually read the original post at all? o_O
> --
Guess not. I was reading on true conversion rather than making the choosing
of the rough riders more cost effective. I got lost with all of the Elven
stuff and figured he wanted a different look. my bad.

berto

Berto wrote:
> "Jon Hedge" <ihug.com.au@dopefish> wrote in message
<snip>
>> Did you actually read the original post at all? o_O
>> --
> Guess not. I was reading on true conversion rather than making the
> choosing of the rough riders more cost effective. I got lost with all
> of the Elven stuff and figured he wanted a different look. my bad.
>
> berto

The post about how to convert them up was just above the original post in
this thread, but I did like your idea about mounting them on bikes. This
thread was just a question about how giving RRs meltabombs would interact
with the special rules they have to follow if they have hunting lances. I'm
still not sure what the answer is, although Ecke suggested that you could
say the RRs would get to choose to use their meltabombs, but they'd lose
their hunting lances as if they'd been fired. That might be an acceptable
compromise solution.

--

> Berto wrote:
>> "Jon Hedge" <ihug.com.au@dopefish> wrote in message
> <snip>
>>> Did you actually read the original post at all? o_O
>>> --
>> Guess not. I was reading on true conversion rather than making the
>> choosing of the rough riders more cost effective. I got lost with all
>> of the Elven stuff and figured he wanted a different look. my bad.
>>
>> berto
>
> The post about how to convert them up was just above the original post in
> this thread, but I did like your idea about mounting them on bikes. This
> thread was just a question about how giving RRs meltabombs would interact
> with the special rules they have to follow if they have hunting lances.
> I'm still not sure what the answer is, although Ecke suggested that you
> could say the RRs would get to choose to use their meltabombs, but they'd
> lose their hunting lances as if they'd been fired. That might be an
> acceptable compromise solution.

Better said than I did and thanks for the complement on mounting them on
bikes. I have never liked a futuristic world and have horses. Bikes or
something similar with the same or similar stats. I do like the Meltabombs
idea. It reminds me of Fallujah.

berto