Sign in with
Your question

Recommend me a good monitor w/ DVI and HDMI

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
January 6, 2009 4:33:38 PM

I am looking for a new monitor for gaming/movies. It's important to me that it will last me for several years even when I am ready to upgrade my system/graphics card to an HDMI output.

Which monitor out there is a decent size (22" to 26" range) that is of good quality, yet not overly expensive. Trying to stay under $500 here for the monitor. Under 4 if possible.

Please advise on what you guys think.
January 6, 2009 6:57:02 PM

Well I just picked up a 24" widescreen Samsung SyncMaster T240 (Touch of Color series)....

and it's fantastic! I use it for games and movies, the response times and colors are great. Full 1080p, 1920x1200, makes all my games a new experience. Seriously I am going to have to go back and play Crysis and Bioshock again because I am seeing details in games I didnt notice before on my 21" CRT! Has VGA, DVI and HDMI connections so no worries there.

Also it can be had for less than $400 at some online stores but I bought at Best Buy for the return policy in case of dead pixels (there were none).

Word of warning though, at the native resolution you may want to upgrade your GPU situation so your rig can push those pixels, I see you have a SLI board so maybe you should consider slapping in another card , this monitor really benefits from SLI!
January 13, 2009 8:54:57 AM

You can also consider the HP w2228h. Got it for around $350 (though I'm sure prices have dropped). Yeah, it's "only" a 1680 x 1050, but it can do DVI, HDMI, and VGA. Like pcgamer420, had to go back playing games just to enjoy the higher native resolution (previous display was a 17" LCD).

It also has a built-in USB hub and speakers, plus it can also swivel 90 degrees into portrait mode!

May not float your boat, but I've been happy with my purchase since day 1!
Related resources
!