Ryan

Grrr... Win xp 1.5ghz laptop. Startup takes up 2 5 mins. Actually, it's
logon that takes a while, starting windows is fine. I eliminated startup
programs + services to the bare minimum to still function. I have done
numerous spyware.virus scans. Any help?

Ryan

sorry. It takes up to 5 minutes.

"Ryan" wrote:

> Grrr... Win xp 1.5ghz laptop. Startup takes up 2 5 mins. Actually, it's
> logon that takes a while, starting windows is fine. I eliminated startup
> programs + services to the bare minimum to still function. I have done
> numerous spyware.virus scans. Any help?

Five minutes is excessive. If youv'e trimmed back Startups and
Watchdogs then you need to check for Event errors. I would
run Eventvwr.Msc (Event Viewer) clear both System and the
Application logs (Right Click Headings). Reboot and then go
through each log looking for Red Icons (denotes Errors). Double
Click each error and read the brief description and Event ID.
It appears that you may have a Service attempting to start and
perhaps one or more of it dependant services isn't running. It
would help us to know what Security software you have on the
PC that is running a Real-Time function (AV/Firewall). If you
use either Symantec/McAfee then some of that excessive time
is probably those products fault. But even with those, most PC
boot times should yield a usable desktop by 2 minutes or so.

"Ryan" <Ryan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> sorry. It takes up to 5 minutes.
>
> "Ryan" wrote:
>
>> Grrr... Win xp 1.5ghz laptop. Startup takes up 2 5 mins. Actually,
>> it's
>> logon that takes a while, starting windows is fine. I eliminated startup
>> programs + services to the bare minimum to still function. I have done
>> numerous spyware.virus scans. Any help?

Ryan

all latest drivers. I have Microsoft antispyware and Nortn AV.

"R. McCarty" wrote:

> Five minutes is excessive. If youv'e trimmed back Startups and
> Watchdogs then you need to check for Event errors. I would
> run Eventvwr.Msc (Event Viewer) clear both System and the
> Application logs (Right Click Headings). Reboot and then go
> through each log looking for Red Icons (denotes Errors). Double
> Click each error and read the brief description and Event ID.
> It appears that you may have a Service attempting to start and
> perhaps one or more of it dependant services isn't running. It
> would help us to know what Security software you have on the
> PC that is running a Real-Time function (AV/Firewall). If you
> use either Symantec/McAfee then some of that excessive time
> is probably those products fault. But even with those, most PC
> boot times should yield a usable desktop by 2 minutes or so.
>
> "Ryan" <Ryan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > sorry. It takes up to 5 minutes.
> >
> > "Ryan" wrote:
> >
> >> Grrr... Win xp 1.5ghz laptop. Startup takes up 2 5 mins. Actually,
> >> it's
> >> logon that takes a while, starting windows is fine. I eliminated startup
> >> programs + services to the bare minimum to still function. I have done
> >> numerous spyware.virus scans. Any help?

If you don't have a Home network, then you might try to unbind
File and Printer sharing & Client for Microsoft Networks from
your LAC. Other than that, I'd still investigate the Event Logs as
some Symantec services don't always start properly.

In news:0361CD7E-BDF8-4875-9C63-8C6D1246F138@microsoft.com,
Ryan <Ryan@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> Grrr... Win xp 1.5ghz laptop. Startup takes up 2 5 mins.
> Actually,
> it's logon that takes a while, starting windows is fine. I
> eliminated startup programs + services to the bare minimum to
> still
> function. I have done numerous spyware.virus scans. Any help?

My personal view is that the attention many people pay to how
long it takes to boot is unwarranted. Assuming that the
computer's speed is otherwise satisfactory, it may not be worth
worrying about. Most people start their computers once a day or
even less frequently. In the overall scheme of things, even a few
minutes to start up isn't very important. Personally I power on
my computer when I get up in the morning, then go get my coffee.
When I come back, it's done booting. I don't know how long it
took to boot and I don't care.

Please reply to the newsgroup

kelly

Those two will do it. Test your boot-up with them both disabled.

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"Ryan" <Ryan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> all latest drivers. I have Microsoft antispyware and Nortn AV.
>
> "R. McCarty" wrote:
>
>> Five minutes is excessive. If youv'e trimmed back Startups and
>> Watchdogs then you need to check for Event errors. I would
>> run Eventvwr.Msc (Event Viewer) clear both System and the
>> Application logs (Right Click Headings). Reboot and then go
>> through each log looking for Red Icons (denotes Errors). Double
>> Click each error and read the brief description and Event ID.
>> It appears that you may have a Service attempting to start and
>> perhaps one or more of it dependant services isn't running. It
>> would help us to know what Security software you have on the
>> PC that is running a Real-Time function (AV/Firewall). If you
>> use either Symantec/McAfee then some of that excessive time
>> is probably those products fault. But even with those, most PC
>> boot times should yield a usable desktop by 2 minutes or so.
>>
>> "Ryan" <Ryan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > sorry. It takes up to 5 minutes.

Alias

25 minutes or 2.5 minutes? If the former, check your hardware.

--
Alias

"Ryan" <Ryan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

> Grrr... Win xp 1.5ghz laptop. Startup takes up 2 5 mins. Actually, it's
> logon that takes a while, starting windows is fine. I eliminated startup
> programs + services to the bare minimum to still function. I have done
> numerous spyware.virus scans. Any help?

Alias

Check your hardware, five minutes is too long. Got the latest drivers for
your video/sound card? NIC? Are they and your memory seated well in the MB?
--
Alias

"Ryan" <Ryan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> sorry. It takes up to 5 minutes.
>
> "Ryan" wrote:
>
>> Grrr... Win xp 1.5ghz laptop. Startup takes up 2 5 mins. Actually,
>> it's
>> logon that takes a while, starting windows is fine. I eliminated startup
>> programs + services to the bare minimum to still function. I have done
>> numerous spyware.virus scans. Any help?

Also hope you have cleaned out temporary files and have you scanned and
defragged the HDD lately? If the MFT is highly fragmented, it can
affect boot times.

Also hope you have cleaned out temporary files and have you scanned and
defragged the HDD lately? If the MFT is highly fragmented, it can
affect boot times.

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

gpp wrote:

> Also hope you have cleaned out temporary files and have you scanned and
> defragged the HDD lately? If the MFT is highly fragmented, it can
> affect boot times.

To whom / to what message are you replying? You need to quote at least
a part of the message otherwise others will not know what you are
talking about. Some people use a newsreader to view the threads and
only download the new posts. They don't have the old ones to refer to.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

TRENDING THREADS