disc read error occured

July 24, 2005 8:13:09 PM

I have had XP Home installed on a new Seagate hard drive for about 2 months.
Suddenly, the computer did a restart and now it will not open Windows. It
finds all my drives and then goes to a screen displaying "a disc read error
has occured. Press control, alt, delete to restart." On restart, I receive
the same message. I have tried checkdisc, fix boot and fix master boot record
in the recovery console on my cd but nothing works. Is this a problem with
the hard drive or Windows? Any suggestions would be helpful. I would hate to
have to reinstall Windows.
July 25, 2005 12:48:04 AM

In news:D 5D25808-A79E-4967-B5E7-0D83F3BDBDF4@microsoft.com,
lobster <lobster@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> I have had XP Home installed on a new Seagate hard drive for about 2
> months. Suddenly, the computer did a restart and now it will not open
> Windows. It finds all my drives and then goes to a screen displaying
> "a disc read error has occured. Press control, alt, delete to
> restart." On restart, I receive the same message. I have tried
> checkdisc, fix boot and fix master boot record in the recovery
> console on my cd but nothing works. Is this a problem with the hard
> drive or Windows? Any suggestions would be helpful. I would hate to
> have to reinstall Windows.

Sounds like an issue with the drive itself. Check the Seagate site for a
diagnostic tool (they usually have one at the various manufacturer's sites.)
Run that and see if maybe it's broken.

Galen

without them."

Sherlock Holmes
July 31, 2005 8:25:01 AM

Update. Seagate says it is a bad sector on the hard drive. So... I am
returning it to them for a replacement under the warrenty.

!