disc read error occured

I have had XP Home installed on a new Seagate hard drive for about 2 months.
Suddenly, the computer did a restart and now it will not open Windows. It
finds all my drives and then goes to a screen displaying "a disc read error
has occured. Press control, alt, delete to restart." On restart, I receive
the same message. I have tried checkdisc, fix boot and fix master boot record
in the recovery console on my cd but nothing works. Is this a problem with
the hard drive or Windows? Any suggestions would be helpful. I would hate to
have to reinstall Windows.
2 answers Last reply
More about disc read error occured

    In news:D5D25808-A79E-4967-B5E7-0D83F3BDBDF4@microsoft.com,
    lobster <lobster@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > I have had XP Home installed on a new Seagate hard drive for about 2
    > months. Suddenly, the computer did a restart and now it will not open
    > Windows. It finds all my drives and then goes to a screen displaying
    > "a disc read error has occured. Press control, alt, delete to
    > restart." On restart, I receive the same message. I have tried
    > checkdisc, fix boot and fix master boot record in the recovery
    > console on my cd but nothing works. Is this a problem with the hard
    > drive or Windows? Any suggestions would be helpful. I would hate to
    > have to reinstall Windows.

    Sounds like an issue with the drive itself. Check the Seagate site for a
    diagnostic tool (they usually have one at the various manufacturer's sites.)
    Run that and see if maybe it's broken.

    Galen

    without them."

    Sherlock Holmes

    Update. Seagate says it is a bad sector on the hard drive. So... I am
    returning it to them for a replacement under the warrenty.

    "lobster" wrote:

    > I have had XP Home installed on a new Seagate hard drive for about 2 months.
    > Suddenly, the computer did a restart and now it will not open Windows. It
    > finds all my drives and then goes to a screen displaying "a disc read error
    > has occured. Press control, alt, delete to restart." On restart, I receive
    > the same message. I have tried checkdisc, fix boot and fix master boot record
    > in the recovery console on my cd but nothing works. Is this a problem with
    > the hard drive or Windows? Any suggestions would be helpful. I would hate to
    > have to reinstall Windows.

Hard Drives Windows XP