Windows Help and Support

Help and support will not run from start menu or by pressing F1 key. It has
been some time since I tried to access help, so I do not know when it
stopped working.

I am using XP Pro with SP2. The registry entry under
HKEY_Local\Software\etc. appears to be correct. There have been to many
system changes to try to use System Restore.

Any suggestions?

Vince

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:moWEe.68125$0i3.39001@twister.nyroc.rr.com,
Vince Chebetar <vchebeta@rochester.rr.com> had this to say:

> Help and support will not run from start menu or by pressing F1 key. It
> has been some time since I tried to access help, so I do not know
> when it stopped working.
>
> I am using XP Pro with SP2. The registry entry under
> HKEY_Local\Software\etc. appears to be correct. There have been to
> many system changes to try to use System Restore.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Vince

Start > run > type "services.msc" without the quotes > hit enter > check to
see if the help and support service is set to automatic and started. Also
it'd be depending on the RPC service so make sure that's started and
automatic as well.

Galen

without them."

Sherlock Holmes

kelly

Hi Vince,

HP or Dell per chance? If Dell:

On a Dell system it will look like this: Start/Run/Regedit

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{2559a1f6-21d7-11d4-bdaf-00c04f60b9f0}\Instance\InitPropertyBag]

"CLSID"="{13709620-C279-11CE-A49E-444553540000}"
"method"="ShellExecute"
"Command"="Dell Solution Center"
"Param1"="c:\\Program Files\\Dell\\SolutionCenter\\DellSC.exe"

To return to XP Default, delete the Param1 line and modify the rest to
match:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{2559a1f1-21d7-11d4-bdaf-00c04f60b9f0}\Instance\InitPropertyBag]

"CLSID"="{13709620-C279-11CE-A49E-444553540000}"
"method"="Help"
"command"="@shell32.dll,-12709"

Once done hit refresh, then Help and Support. If you are needing to remove
the link under Run and modify Online Support via IE as well, post back.

Added info:

See lines - 114, 152 (right hand side), 235, 315, 344, 345 (right hand
side):

Why doesn't Help and Support work?

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"Vince Chebetar" <vchebeta@rochester.rr.com> wrote in message
> Help and support will not run from start menu or by pressing F1 key. It
> has been some time since I tried to access help, so I do not know when it
> stopped working.
>
> I am using XP Pro with SP2. The registry entry under
> HKEY_Local\Software\etc. appears to be correct. There have been to many
> system changes to try to use System Restore.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Vince

Galen

Help and Services - started, automatic, local
RPC - started, automatic, network services
RPC Locator - not started, manual, network services

Vince

> In news:moWEe.68125$0i3.39001@twister.nyroc.rr.com,
> Vince Chebetar <vchebeta@rochester.rr.com> had this to say:

>> Help and support will not run from start menu or by pressing F1 key. It
>> has been some time since I tried to access help, so I do not know
>> when it stopped working.
>>
>> I am using XP Pro with SP2. The registry entry under
>> HKEY_Local\Software\etc. appears to be correct. There have been to
>> many system changes to try to use System Restore.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> Vince
>
> Start > run > type "services.msc" without the quotes > hit enter > check
> to see if the help and support service is set to automatic and started.
> Also it'd be depending on the RPC service so make sure that's started and
> automatic as well.
>
> Galen
> --
>
> "But there are always some lunatics about. It would be a dull world
> without them."
>
> Sherlock Holmes

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:WvXEe.173603$g5.44677@twister.nyroc.rr.com,
Vince Chebetar <vchebeta@rochester.rr.com> had this to say:

> Galen
>
> Help and Services - started, automatic, local
> RPC - started, automatic, network services
> RPC Locator - not started, manual, network services
>
> Vince
>
> "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> In news:moWEe.68125$0i3.39001@twister.nyroc.rr.com,
>> Vince Chebetar <vchebeta@rochester.rr.com> had this to say:

>>> Help and support will not run from start menu or by pressing F1
>>> key. It has been some time since I tried to access help, so I do
>>> not know when it stopped working.
>>>
>>> I am using XP Pro with SP2. The registry entry under
>>> HKEY_Local\Software\etc. appears to be correct. There have been to
>>> many system changes to try to use System Restore.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?
>>>
>>> Vince
>>
>> Start > run > type "services.msc" without the quotes > hit enter >
>> check to see if the help and support service is set to automatic and
>> started. Also it'd be depending on the RPC service so make sure
>> that's started and automatic as well.
>>
>> Galen
>> --
>>
>> "But there are always some lunatics about. It would be a dull world
>> without them."
>>
>> Sherlock Holmes

In addition to what Kelly has said below:

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_h.htm

Scroll down and read all about help including re-installing it.

Galen

without them."

Sherlock Holmes