Sign in with
Your question
Solved

DVI to HDTV

Last response: in Home Theatre
February 21, 2010 1:30:23 PM

Hello,
I'm planning on buying a home theater setup where the main entertainment will be run off my pc. My main problem/issue is that my pc only has DVI outputs and home theater kits seem to only come with HDMI now. What is the best solution to keep the integrity of my picture quality when connecting my pc to the home theater? A DVI to HDMI converter? a receiver with DVI input? A special transcoder? Switch my video card for one with HDMI output (I'd like to avoid that one since my video card was very expensive to begin with)? Any other ideas? Any answer is appreciated! Thanks!

More about : dvi hdtv

February 21, 2010 2:22:41 PM

Your best bet with your setup is to get a DVI(D or I) to HDMI adapter. But be aware that DVI is only video. I am not sure if there are receivers out there with DVI inputs. So your choices, as far as I can see, are.
1. DVI to HDMI adapter (or component) for video, S/PDIF for audio.
2. or I hate to say it, new video card.

What video card do you have?
Are you planning bluray?
What receivers are you considering?
m
l
February 21, 2010 7:37:15 PM

I have an ATI HD 4870 with 2 DVI outputs.

I wasn't really planning too far ahead at this point. All I knew was that I wanted to have my PC connected an HDTV.

And I noticed that It was beginning to be very hard to find an AV receiver with DVI inputs for video, and, it's just as hard to find DVI inputs on new plasmas and LCD tvs too.

Assuming I don't swap my video card, is there loss of "Image" quality when using a DVI to HDMI adapter? I know I need to connect the sound seperately. I'm just worried about losing picture quality. Does anyone know of a few AV receivers with DVI input and HDMI output? or any other thoughts?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

February 21, 2010 10:06:55 PM

runawaycloser said:
Assuming I don't swap my video card, is there loss of "Image" quality when using a DVI to HDMI adapter?
Absolutely zero loss. It is the same digital signal, that's why there are simple adapters. Only difference is that HDMI carries audio also.
Does anyone know of a few AV receivers with DVI input and HDMI output? or any other thoughts? said:
Does anyone know of a few AV receivers with DVI input and HDMI output? or any other thoughts?
To my knowledge there is no such thing as a consumer level receiver with DVI inputs and a google search hasn't turned up anything concrete. You should be fine with the DVI adapter and S/PDIF. Unless you want the True HD and HD Master audio from bluray because you do need the bandwidth of the HDMI cable for that....along with a couple other things depending on what you have or plan.
March 1, 2010 11:52:49 AM

Best answer selected by runawaycloser.
m
l
!