[40k] [paint] Purity seal colours

Thought process kicked off by thread: "Re [40k] What is a combat squad?"

The standard being red seals, what do you folk do on red models, such as
Blood Angels or in other such situations, perhaps titans? Red seals on red
mods, or do you go the recent GW approach of putting green seals on red
mods? (I think I saw that in a which hunters army?)

I just dislike the idea that the Imperium only issue green seals to red
units. Where's their consistency? But of course the other issue is the seal
blending in too much.
Thoughts, suggestions or estranged sexual poses. Come one, come all, and
spread your steaming wisdom.
--
Jon Hedge,
"The chances are, I said it in jest."

First time e-mails should be tagged [RGMW] to make it through my spam
filter.

RGMW FAQ @ http://www.rgmw.org

In article <41db5f06$0$23053$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-
01.iinet.net.au>, Jon Hedge, ihug.com.au@dopefish Varfed out the
following in Timo speak...
> Thought process kicked off by thread: "Re [40k] What is a combat squad?"
>
> The standard being red seals, what do you folk do on red models, such as
> Blood Angels or in other such situations, perhaps titans? Red seals on red
> mods, or do you go the recent GW approach of putting green seals on red
> mods? (I think I saw that in a which hunters army?)
>
> I just dislike the idea that the Imperium only issue green seals to red
> units. Where's their consistency? But of course the other issue is the seal
> blending in too much.
> Thoughts, suggestions or estranged sexual poses. Come one, come all, and
> spread your steaming wisdom.

All right you! Stop looking at all those Sisters Of Battle porno
sites. As for the purity seals, I tend to do mine in colors like gold
and silver or other metallics. Nothing says 'outstanding service' like
a cheap red wax seal. I tend to make mine look more like medallions
rather than something stuck on with wax. Besides, only geeky smelly
gamers that have never been laid get excited about wax. ;)

Myrmidon

--
Thank you again for your time and attention; back to
your regularly scheduled homobestiBAZirotica.

-- RTM

RGMW FAQ: http://www.rgmw.org

Or...

Jon Hedge entered the world pub known as rec.games.miniatures.warhammer and
said...

> Thought process kicked off by thread: "Re [40k] What is a combat squad?"
>
> The standard being red seals, what do you folk do on red models, such as
> Blood Angels or in other such situations, perhaps titans? Red seals on red
> mods, or do you go the recent GW approach of putting green seals on red
> mods? (I think I saw that in a which hunters army?)
>
> I just dislike the idea that the Imperium only issue green seals to red
> units. Where's their consistency? But of course the other issue is the seal
> blending in too much.
> Thoughts, suggestions or estranged sexual poses. Come one, come all, and
> spread your steaming wisdom.

Wesson oil and rubber sheets...

WHAT? He said estranged sexual poses...
--
Jim M
posted on this day, the 4144th of September 1993

"Look alive. Here comes a buzzard." -- Walt Kelly (Pogo)

http://jimac.tripod.com

when i started to paint marines
i didnt have a clue what purity seals where
i just saw ribbons stuk to armour
and in my mind ribbons are surpose to be red
sooo i painted the seal it self green.
i didnt even know that in the story line a seal
had texts
hensforth every purity seal on my Blacktemplar
marines are green seals with red ribbons
but when ever i paint a seal on another model
its a red gore seal with bleached bone ribbon
and text.

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 14:29:08 +1100, Jon Hedge wrote:

> The standard being red seals, what do you folk do on red models, such as
> Blood Angels or in other such situations, perhaps titans? Red seals on red
> mods, or do you go the recent GW approach of putting green seals on red
> mods? (I think I saw that in a which hunters army?)

I always liked a faded gold or brass for the attachment and a parchment
like colour for the ribbon(?) that's attached. The colours go well with
red so it doesn't look out of place. If you want it to really stand out,
that's not the best choice. Green is an obvious choice for a more visible
seal, i just don't like how it looks. You might try giving the seal part a
gloss coat if the rest of the model is dull coated. Don't know if that
would help.

> I just dislike the idea that the Imperium only issue green seals to red
> units. Where's their consistency?

It's those chapters that think they're too good to follow the Codex
Astartes. Them punks is one step away from turning chaos.

--
should you wish, you can send email to the disgruntled_pawn
via the ever popular hotmail domain (and it will bounce right back to you)

SPAM

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2002

Jon Hedge wrote

> The standard being red seals, what do you folk do on red models, such
as
> Blood Angels or in other such situations, perhaps titans? Red seals
on red
> mods, or do you go the recent GW approach of putting green seals on
red
> mods? (I think I saw that in a which hunters army?)
> I just dislike the idea that the Imperium only issue green seals to
red
> units. Where's their consistency? But of course the other issue is
the seal
> blending in too much.

I personally ignore the red-seal rule for the most part, unless it
happens to go with the particular model. (Looks nice on Dark Angels,
for example). I actually like a little diversity in my purity seals,
and often paint them different colors to help designate/characterize
different troops. In my Sisters of Battle army, each Sister Superior
gets a unique color to help set her apart from everyone else (whereas
troops get the same color). For Space Marines, I often paint the top of
the purity seal the same color that I paint their eyes, since that's
usually a nice stand-out color, and that reinforces the color scheme
I've chosen for the model.

I've also painted just the top "ring" a metallic color to look like
something's been welded on, rather than make it look like a "wax" seal
(which as another poster pointed out, the idea of someone wearing wax
and parchment into a battlefield where weapons fired at them usually
include flamers, meltas, and plasma weaponry--is just kind of stupid).

For red armor, if you don't want the complimentary green (which would
make it look a little Christmassy... Santa Marines, anyone?)... perhaps
a nice gold color would work, either metallic or non-metallic (i.e. a
rich yellow).

Hope that helps.

Death Quaker

Myrmidon wrote:
> In article <41db5f06$0$23053$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-
> 01.iinet.net.au>, Jon Hedge, ihug.com.au@dopefish Varfed out the
> following in Timo speak...
>> Thought process kicked off by thread: "Re [40k] What is a combat
>> squad?"
>>
>> The standard being red seals, what do you folk do on red models,
>> such as Blood Angels or in other such situations, perhaps titans?
>> Red seals on red mods, or do you go the recent GW approach of
>> putting green seals on red mods? (I think I saw that in a which
>> hunters army?)
>>
>> I just dislike the idea that the Imperium only issue green seals to
>> red units. Where's their consistency? But of course the other issue
>> is the seal blending in too much.
>> Thoughts, suggestions or estranged sexual poses. Come one, come all,
>> and spread your steaming wisdom.
>>
> All right you! Stop looking at all those Sisters Of Battle porno
> sites. As for the purity seals, I tend to do mine in colors like gold
> and silver or other metallics. Nothing says 'outstanding service'
> like a cheap red wax seal. I tend to make mine look more like
> medallions rather than something stuck on with wax. Besides, only
> geeky smelly gamers that have never been laid get excited about wax.
> ;)

I sort of agree. I always figured the purity seal we see on a mini's combat
armor is some kind of really robust metal replica of what probably was a
real wax and parchment decoration given to them. After all, how long would
a wax/flammable parchment decoration last in 40k battle conditions? So
while the "official" purity seal the Imperium gave the trooper stays back in
their footlocker, they get to wear the replica on their armor. So paint the
replica whatever the heck color goes with their armor; after all, it's just
a symbolic representation the unit armourer whipped up and spot-welded to
your power armour, and I'm sure his color sense is impeccable. But I'd bet
there is in fact one and only one official, loyal, non-heretical color
scheme for the fragile originals, and I'd bet it's red.

Of course, as I'm relatively unversed in the fluff, I could be way wrong. I
guess the key to my interpretation is that the purity seal itself isn't some
weird little magic artifact - it's an Imperial decoration, recognizing that
the bearer is a hardcore dude (or dudette, if Sisters of Battle) who can
keep his/her head in a fight. But while that's the way it seems to me form
the various Imperial 'dexes I own our fellow RGMWers who've read more of the
books, etc., might need to jump in here and correct me.

--
Ken Coble

Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world.
-Kaiser Wilhelm

"Dappere Dodo" <dd.suykerbuyk@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
> when i started to paint marines
> i didnt have a clue what purity seals where
> i just saw ribbons stuk to armour
> and in my mind ribbons are surpose to be red
> sooo i painted the seal it self green.
> i didnt even know that in the story line a seal
> had texts
> hensforth every purity seal on my Blacktemplar
> marines are green seals with red ribbons
> but when ever i paint a seal on another model
> its a red gore seal with bleached bone ribbon
> and text.

Merry Emperormas, Brother Ebort...here! (playfully slaps gift bow and ribbon
from present on space marine's head)

I would use any colour which worked against the paint scheme...........

What bothers me is that people are discussing 'correct' colours for a
fictional item

:)