Screen resolution changes to low at end of post.

Jody

I have a fresh Xp installation. First day no problems. Now when I reboot, the
screen resolution defaults to lowest setting with lowest color setting. This
happens after windows loads and just before all the startups have finished
the last second. I had booted a few times after the latest program was
installed with no problems. I have tried checking the display drivers and
monitor drivers which seem fine. I suspect maybe a conflict with one of the
start up programs because of the timing of the resolution "switch" but there
was no problem before when I had the same setup. Anyone ever heard of this?

Malke

Jody wrote:

> I have a fresh Xp installation. First day no problems. Now when I
> reboot, the screen resolution defaults to lowest setting with lowest
> color setting. This happens after windows loads and just before all
> the startups have finished loading. So, I watch the correct resolution
> load then suddenly it changes at the last second. I had booted a few
> times after the latest program was installed with no problems. I have
> tried checking the display drivers and monitor drivers which seem
> fine. I suspect maybe a conflict with one of the start up programs
> because of the timing of the resolution "switch" but there was no
> problem before when I had the same setup. Anyone ever heard of this?

The way to determine if the problem is with a startup program is to do
clean-boot troubleshooting:

Clean Boot - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=310353
and How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310560

Otherwise, your description of the problem makes it sound like your
video card is failing. If the clean-boot troubleshooting doesn't help,
uninstall your video card and swap it out for a known-working one. If
all is well, replace the original video card.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

kelly

Hi Jody,

I have seen this on many systems. Usually after an automatic driver update
from MS. For most when this happens, themes also becomes disabled and at
times, so does sound.

Either way, see if this helps: Line 157 and/or 371 (won't cause any harm):

Good luck and keep us posted.

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"Jody" <Jody@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a fresh Xp installation. First day no problems. Now when I reboot,
>the
> screen resolution defaults to lowest setting with lowest color setting.
> This
> happens after windows loads and just before all the startups have finished
> at
> the last second. I had booted a few times after the latest program was
> installed with no problems. I have tried checking the display drivers and
> monitor drivers which seem fine. I suspect maybe a conflict with one of
> the
> start up programs because of the timing of the resolution "switch" but
> there
> was no problem before when I had the same setup. Anyone ever heard of
> this?

Jody

Thanks Malke that was just the info I needed. MSN Messenger 7.0 was causing
the problem at startup. I uninstalled and reinstalled and had same problem, I
guess this machine just doesnt like Messenger anymore. Thanks again for the
help.

Jody

"Malke" wrote:

> Jody wrote:
>
> > I have a fresh Xp installation. First day no problems. Now when I
> > reboot, the screen resolution defaults to lowest setting with lowest
> > color setting. This happens after windows loads and just before all
> > the startups have finished loading. So, I watch the correct resolution
> > load then suddenly it changes at the last second. I had booted a few
> > times after the latest program was installed with no problems. I have
> > tried checking the display drivers and monitor drivers which seem
> > fine. I suspect maybe a conflict with one of the start up programs
> > because of the timing of the resolution "switch" but there was no
> > problem before when I had the same setup. Anyone ever heard of this?
>
> The way to determine if the problem is with a startup program is to do
> clean-boot troubleshooting:
>
> Clean Boot - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=310353
> and How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP -
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310560
>
> Otherwise, your description of the problem makes it sound like your
> video card is failing. If the clean-boot troubleshooting doesn't help,
> uninstall your video card and swap it out for a known-working one. If
> all is well, replace the original video card.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic"

Malke

Jody wrote:

> Thanks Malke that was just the info I needed. MSN Messenger 7.0 was
> causing the problem at startup. I uninstalled and reinstalled and had
> same problem, I guess this machine just doesnt like Messenger anymore.
> Thanks again for the help.
>
> Jody

I'm so glad you got it worked out. Instead of MSN Messenger, try
Trillian for your instant messaging needs. It is free, contains no
adware/spyware, and can connect to different IM services like AIM,
Yahoo, MSN, and various IRC channels.

http://www.ceruleanstudios.com/

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

kelly

How interesting....first I've heard of this.