XP SP2 License Checking??

July 25, 2005 6:20:50 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Was the extra XP valid license checking in the original XP SP2 released in
Aug. 2004 or did that get added to SP2 a little later??

More about : sp2 license checking

Anonymous
July 25, 2005 6:20:51 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Both SP1 and SP2 includes legitimate license checking.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"fred" wrote:

| Was the extra XP valid license checking in the original XP SP2 released in
| Aug. 2004 or did that get added to SP2 a little later??
July 25, 2005 6:40:59 AM

> Both SP1 and SP2 includes legitimate license checking.

SP2 wont install as it claims the license may be invalid or some such. I
remember that pre-SP2 MS announced that SP2 would install even on pirated
copies of XP. Then I seem to recall that MS changed SP2 or update policies
in general sometime after release(8/04) to prevent such usage. Is my memory
correct?

> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "fred" wrote:
>
> | Was the extra XP valid license checking in the original XP SP2 released
> in
> | Aug. 2004 or did that get added to SP2 a little later??

Related resources
July 25, 2005 6:41:00 AM

fred wrote:

>> Both SP1 and SP2 includes legitimate license checking.
>
> SP2 wont install as it claims the license may be invalid or some such.
> I remember that pre-SP2 MS announced that SP2 would install even on
> pirated
> copies of XP. Then I seem to recall that MS changed SP2 or update
> policies
> in general sometime after release(8/04) to prevent such usage. Is my
> memory correct?

AFAIK (and in my hands-on experience with clients' machines), SP2 will
not install on a pirated XP. IIRC, that behavior has been consistent
since SP2 came out.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

No. If you do not own a legal version of Windows XP,
you are not entitled to service packs or updates.

Get all the Benefits of Microsoft Genuine Software
http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/default.mspx?displayla...

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP