XP SP2 License Checking??

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Was the extra XP valid license checking in the original XP SP2 released in
Aug. 2004 or did that get added to SP2 a little later??
4 answers Last reply
More about license checking
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Both SP1 and SP2 includes legitimate license checking.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "fred" wrote:

    | Was the extra XP valid license checking in the original XP SP2 released in
    | Aug. 2004 or did that get added to SP2 a little later??
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    > Both SP1 and SP2 includes legitimate license checking.

    SP2 wont install as it claims the license may be invalid or some such. I
    remember that pre-SP2 MS announced that SP2 would install even on pirated
    copies of XP. Then I seem to recall that MS changed SP2 or update policies
    in general sometime after release(8/04) to prevent such usage. Is my memory
    correct?

    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "fred" wrote:
    >
    > | Was the extra XP valid license checking in the original XP SP2 released
    > in
    > | Aug. 2004 or did that get added to SP2 a little later??

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    fred wrote:

    >> Both SP1 and SP2 includes legitimate license checking.
    >
    > SP2 wont install as it claims the license may be invalid or some such.
    > I remember that pre-SP2 MS announced that SP2 would install even on
    > pirated
    > copies of XP. Then I seem to recall that MS changed SP2 or update
    > policies
    > in general sometime after release(8/04) to prevent such usage. Is my
    > memory correct?

    AFAIK (and in my hands-on experience with clients' machines), SP2 will
    not install on a pirated XP. IIRC, that behavior has been consistent
    since SP2 came out.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers

    No. If you do not own a legal version of Windows XP,
    you are not entitled to service packs or updates.

    Get all the Benefits of Microsoft Genuine Software
    http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/default.mspx?displaylang=en

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "fred" wrote:

    | SP2 wont install as it claims the license may be invalid or some such. I
    | remember that pre-SP2 MS announced that SP2 would install even on pirated
    | copies of XP. Then I seem to recall that MS changed SP2 or update policies
    | in general sometime after release(8/04) to prevent such usage. Is my memory
    | correct?

Microsoft License Windows XP