Purchase Windows XP

francis

Hello all,

I have just completed building my new computer. I would like to install a
copy of Windows XP Professional Edition. I am searching the internet to try
and find in for a very low cost (full retail copy is very expensive!)

I have found this link to e-bay's web page:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41888&item=7171630805&rd=1

It shows there is an OEM copy of Windows XP Pro for sale. The current price
($0.01 at the time of this posting) seems awfully cheap - is this ligit? Is
there a way I could tell if this is a genuine copy of Windows XP?

Thanks in advance,

Francis

Hi Francis

You have got to be very careful where you purchase a copy of Windows XP
from. Some, like eBay for instance, have been sent out without a PK being
included - making the CD absolutely useless. OEM versions also have to be
purchased with a piece of hardware. Best idea is to buy OEM from a local
supplier or buy retail, although more expensive.

I would suggest that you avoid any XP CDs that you find on eBay.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"Francis" <noemail@server.com> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> I have just completed building my new computer. I would like to install a
> copy of Windows XP Professional Edition. I am searching the internet to
> try and find in for a very low cost (full retail copy is very expensive!)
>
> I have found this link to e-bay's web page:
>
> http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41888&item=7171630805&rd=1
>
> It shows there is an OEM copy of Windows XP Pro for sale. The current
> price ($0.01 at the time of this posting) seems awfully cheap - is this
> ligit? Is there a way I could tell if this is a genuine copy of Windows
> XP?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Francis

Alias

Buy an OEM at a computer store. Avoid eBay.

--
Alias

Francis wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have just completed building my new computer. I would like to install a
> copy of Windows XP Professional Edition. I am searching the internet to try
> and find in for a very low cost (full retail copy is very expensive!)
>
> I have found this link to e-bay's web page:
>
> http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41888&item=7171630805&rd=1
>
> It shows there is an OEM copy of Windows XP Pro for sale. The current price
> ($0.01 at the time of this posting) seems awfully cheap - is this ligit? Is
> there a way I could tell if this is a genuine copy of Windows XP?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Francis

It "looks" legitimate. However, one should be very careful buying any
software on eBay, as eBay makes no prior effort to ensure that such
sales are legitimate; they react only when someone files a complaint.
(And then all that really happens is the seller of the pirated software
returns using a different alias, to continue selling illegitimate
licenses.)

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: