Unable to connect to dsl, no modem detection

July 25, 2005 12:36:02 AM

Hello.
For over a year I never had a problem connecting to the internet, until one
day it kicked me off and ever since I have not been able to get back in. The
dsl modem is connected directly to the network card on my pc. My ISP ran
tests and made me run tests on my pc. When I ran ping, and tried looking for
a host (yahoo.com, netscape.com), I got an error message of "Unable to find
host". They mentioned that I had a winsocket error. They refused to help me
and gave me a number to some pc repair company. They want to charge me $50 to
correct this issue. I have read some threads and I can not find one that
doesn't have a router involved. I have run the "netsh winsock reset" and
"ping"; I have also read that I should replace my network modem. Can someone
please help me out? Thank you!
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 1:23:04 AM

Run winsock fix from here :

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/winsock.htm

--
JonyBrv

"ChrisL" wrote:

> Hello.
> For over a year I never had a problem connecting to the internet, until one
> day it kicked me off and ever since I have not been able to get back in. The
> dsl modem is connected directly to the network card on my pc. My ISP ran
> tests and made me run tests on my pc. When I ran ping, and tried looking for
> a host (yahoo.com, netscape.com), I got an error message of "Unable to find
> host". They mentioned that I had a winsocket error. They refused to help me
> and gave me a number to some pc repair company. They want to charge me $50 to
> correct this issue. I have read some threads and I can not find one that
> doesn't have a router involved. I have run the "netsh winsock reset" and
> "ping"; I have also read that I should replace my network modem. Can someone
> please help me out? Thank you!
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 8:29:00 AM

Try this http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/WinsockxpFix.zip

"ChrisL" <ChrisL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello.
> For over a year I never had a problem connecting to the internet, until
> one
> day it kicked me off and ever since I have not been able to get back in.
> The
> dsl modem is connected directly to the network card on my pc. My ISP ran
> tests and made me run tests on my pc. When I ran ping, and tried looking
> for
> a host (yahoo.com, netscape.com), I got an error message of "Unable to
> find
> host". They mentioned that I had a winsocket error. They refused to help
> me
> and gave me a number to some pc repair company. They want to charge me $50
> correct this issue. I have read some threads and I can not find one that
> doesn't have a router involved. I have run the "netsh winsock reset" and
> "ping"; I have also read that I should replace my network modem. Can
> someone
> please help me out? Thank you!
July 26, 2005 1:01:04 PM

It almost worked! I ran the fix on the website and it ran sucessfully. When I
ran the ISP software (SBC Yahoo), after the usual time it takes to log on and
run the internet, it said that it is going to log off and the program
shutdown. Other times it would just say, that it was unable to log on. When I
created a connection to the internet through XP, it says that there was an
error while trying to connect and it would continue to try to connect. Any
thing else I can try? Thank you for your help.

!