need multi-client Expense tracker

October 3, 2004 2:55:47 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Hi, all. Could anyone recommend a good multiple-client expense tracker
that allows data to be imported into MS Excel? I need to track receipts,
personal car miles, etc., for several different clients. TIA.

Bob
Anonymous
October 3, 2004 6:31:15 PM

"Robert Kim" <roberth@purdue.edu> wrote in message
news:p ine.SOL.4.58.0410022253380.19085@herald.cc.purdue.edu...
> Hi, all. Could anyone recommend a good multiple-client expense tracker
> that allows data to be imported into MS Excel? I need to track receipts,
> personal car miles, etc., for several different clients. TIA.
>
> Bob

How about a spreadsheet? Docs to Go, etc.

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com
Anonymous
October 3, 2004 6:31:16 PM

On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 14:31:15 +0100, Tumbleweed wrote:

> How about a spreadsheet? Docs to Go, etc.

Neither of those do anything remotely related to what he asked.

Why not suggest Pong, or maybe Bejeweled, or perhaps Calculator.

Next time, read the question fully, before answering.
October 3, 2004 7:11:39 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

October 3, 2004 9:09:12 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Take a look at: http://www.baxcode.com/exptraxx/exptraxx.htm

It doesn't track mileage, but you could track such costs. It does track
expenses by customer and project, and you can export in csv format.

Free software - Baxter Codeworks www.baxcode.com

"Robert Kim" <roberth@purdue.edu> wrote in message
news:p ine.SOL.4.58.0410022253380.19085@herald.cc.purdue.edu...
> Hi, all. Could anyone recommend a good multiple-client expense tracker
> that allows data to be imported into MS Excel? I need to track receipts,
> personal car miles, etc., for several different clients. TIA.
>
> Bob
Anonymous
October 3, 2004 9:10:55 PM

"John Doe" <a.nonymous@abuse.org> wrote in message
news:p an.2004.10.03.14.45.35.571291@abuse.org...
> On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 14:31:15 +0100, Tumbleweed wrote:
>
>> How about a spreadsheet? Docs to Go, etc.
>
> Neither of those do anything remotely related to what he asked.
>
> Why not suggest Pong, or maybe Bejeweled, or perhaps Calculator.
>
> Next time, read the question fully, before answering.

He wants to track expenses by client and then put them into Excel. Another
spreadsheet would do that easily (if the data ends up in a spreadsheet its
not exactly rocket science to put it in one to start with)Maybe one sheet
per client would do, he didnt exactly give a lot of detail, maybe just a
single sheet with a client name in one of the columns would do it.

I think you'll find that Bejeweled wouldnt be up to that. But Docs to Go
certainly would.

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com
Anonymous
October 3, 2004 11:45:21 PM

On Sun, 3 Oct 2004, Tumbleweed wrote:

> "John Doe" <a.nonymous@abuse.org> wrote in message
> news:p an.2004.10.03.14.45.35.571291@abuse.org...
> > On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 14:31:15 +0100, Tumbleweed wrote:
> >
> >> How about a spreadsheet? Docs to Go, etc.
> >
> > Neither of those do anything remotely related to what he asked.
> >
> > Why not suggest Pong, or maybe Bejeweled, or perhaps Calculator.
> >
> > Next time, read the question fully, before answering.
>
> He wants to track expenses by client and then put them into Excel. Another
> spreadsheet would do that easily (if the data ends up in a spreadsheet its
> not exactly rocket science to put it in one to start with)Maybe one sheet
> per client would do, he didnt exactly give a lot of detail, maybe just a
> single sheet with a client name in one of the columns would do it.
>
> I think you'll find that Bejeweled wouldnt be up to that. But Docs to Go
> certainly would.

Thanks, Tumbleweed. I'm not sure why John Doe would suggest games as a
response to my original inquiry. I guess I could use Quicksheet as I do
have Quickoffice. I would have preferred a more user-friendly way of
doing this, though. Thanks for the idea.

Bob
Anonymous
October 3, 2004 11:47:26 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Thanks for the input, C. Joseph. I already have Jfile and will see if
this can be used then before looking at Smartlist.

Bob

On Sun, 3 Oct 2004, C.Joseph Drayton wrote:

Anonymous
October 4, 2004 12:02:02 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Hi Bob,

I tried JFile a while back and it is a serviceable database. You
should be able to design the appropriate tables with it. Just remember
that one of the most powerful things about the Palm when building
databases is its on-the-fly list. With my smartlist, I can add a new
time card in 8 seconds from the time I turn the Palm on.

BTW, it is 'C.Joseph' not 'C. Joseph'. There is no space between the
'.' and the 'J'. My given name is 'C.Joseph'

Ciao . . . C.Joseph

That which a man buys too cheaply . . .
~ He esteems too lightly

Robert Kim wrote:

|Thanks for the input, C. Joseph. I already have Jfile and will see if
|this can be used then before looking at Smartlist.
|
|Bob
|

|On Sun, 3 Oct 2004, C.Joseph Drayton wrote:
|

| Hi Bob,
|
| I would recommend using SmartList-to-Go to develop your own databases.
| I have a number of smartlist that I use to track time, travel per diem
| & expenses. The cool thing about SmartList-to-Go is that it can easily
| export to MDB or CSV. The program can be found at;
| *http://tinyurl.com/9ta6 .*
|
| Ciao . . . C.Joseph
|
| That which a man buys too cheaply . . .
| ~ He esteems too lightly
|

| Robert Kim wrote:
|
| |Hi, all. Could anyone recommend a good multiple-client expense tracker
| |that allows data to be imported into MS Excel? I need to track
| receipts,
| |personal car miles, etc., for several different clients. TIA.
| |
| |Bob

Anonymous
October 4, 2004 1:43:36 PM

On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 19:45:21 -0500, Robert Kim wrote:

> Thanks, Tumbleweed. I'm not sure why John Doe would suggest games as a
> response to my original inquiry. I guess I could use Quicksheet as I do
> have Quickoffice. I would have preferred a more user-friendly way of
> doing this, though. Thanks for the idea.

I wasn't suggesting games as the solution to your problem. I was
providing sarcasm, because what he suggested was completely unrelated to
your original question.
October 4, 2004 3:56:22 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 22:55:47 -0500, Robert Kim <roberth@purdue.edu>
wrote:

>Hi, all. Could anyone recommend a good multiple-client expense tracker
>that allows data to be imported into MS Excel? I need to track receipts,
>personal car miles, etc., for several different clients. TIA.
>
>Bob

Zoskware ExpenzPro <http://www.zoskware.com/&gt;
Anonymous
October 4, 2004 6:48:58 PM

news:p an.2004.10.04.13.43.36.780589@abuse.org...
> On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 19:45:21 -0500, Robert Kim wrote:
>
>> Thanks, Tumbleweed. I'm not sure why John Doe would suggest games as a
>> response to my original inquiry. I guess I could use Quicksheet as I do
>> have Quickoffice. I would have preferred a more user-friendly way of
>> doing this, though. Thanks for the idea.
>
> I wasn't suggesting games as the solution to your problem. I was
> providing sarcasm, because what he suggested was completely unrelated to
> your original question.

....or not, as the OPs answer shows :-)

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com
Anonymous
October 4, 2004 7:25:25 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Sorry for the misspelling of your name, C.Joseph. My only gripe with
using JFile, now that I've tried it for expenses, is that I can't add all
expenses up per client or totally. JFile appears to only do some minor
math functions within each record, no way to add up totals for different
records. I'll take a look at Smartfile and see if this is possible. I've
been using RExpense, which has everything I'd like to do, but the report
printouts aren't very good and you can't export to ASCII or .CSV. Thanks
again for your help.

Bob

On Sun, 3 Oct 2004, C.Joseph Drayton wrote:

> Hi Bob,
>
> I tried JFile a while back and it is a serviceable database. You
> should be able to design the appropriate tables with it. Just remember
> that one of the most powerful things about the Palm when building
> databases is its on-the-fly list. With my smartlist, I can add a new
> time card in 8 seconds from the time I turn the Palm on.
>
> BTW, it is 'C.Joseph' not 'C. Joseph'. There is no space between the
> '.' and the 'J'. My given name is 'C.Joseph'
>
> Ciao . . . C.Joseph
>
> That which a man buys too cheaply . . .
> ~ He esteems too lightly
>

> Robert Kim wrote:
>
> |Thanks for the input, C. Joseph. I already have Jfile and will see if
> |this can be used then before looking at Smartlist.
> |
> |Bob
> |

> |On Sun, 3 Oct 2004, C.Joseph Drayton wrote:
> |

> | Hi Bob,
> |
> | I would recommend using SmartList-to-Go to develop your own databases.
> | I have a number of smartlist that I use to track time, travel per diem
> | & expenses. The cool thing about SmartList-to-Go is that it can easily
> | export to MDB or CSV. The program can be found at;
> | *http://tinyurl.com/9ta6 .*
> |
> | Ciao . . . C.Joseph
> |
> | That which a man buys too cheaply . . .
> | ~ He esteems too lightly
> |

> | Robert Kim wrote:
> |
> | |Hi, all. Could anyone recommend a good multiple-client expense tracker
> | |that allows data to be imported into MS Excel? I need to track
> | receipts,
> | |personal car miles, etc., for several different clients. TIA.
> | |
> | |Bob

Anonymous
October 4, 2004 7:26:13 PM

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004, John Doe wrote:

> On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 19:45:21 -0500, Robert Kim wrote:
>
> > Thanks, Tumbleweed. I'm not sure why John Doe would suggest games as a
> > response to my original inquiry. I guess I could use Quicksheet as I do
> > have Quickoffice. I would have preferred a more user-friendly way of
> > doing this, though. Thanks for the idea.
>
> I wasn't suggesting games as the solution to your problem. I was
> providing sarcasm, because what he suggested was completely unrelated to
> your original question.

My bad, John. I'm a little slow lately. Too much coffee and not enough
sleep.

Bob
Anonymous
October 4, 2004 7:27:53 PM

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004, Tumbleweed wrote:

> "John Doe" <a.nonymous@abuse.org> wrote in message
> news:p an.2004.10.04.13.43.36.780589@abuse.org...
> > On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 19:45:21 -0500, Robert Kim wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks, Tumbleweed. I'm not sure why John Doe would suggest games as a
> >> response to my original inquiry. I guess I could use Quicksheet as I do
> >> have Quickoffice. I would have preferred a more user-friendly way of
> >> doing this, though. Thanks for the idea.
> >
> > I wasn't suggesting games as the solution to your problem. I was
> > providing sarcasm, because what he suggested was completely unrelated to
> > your original question.
>
> ...or not, as the OPs answer shows :-)

True, Tumbleweed. For each client, I would most likely set up a separate
sheet for each one. Not so bad with up to, say, 5 clients I suppose. I
just wouldn't be able to add up totals combining the different clients.
Thanks for the input.

Bob
Anonymous
October 4, 2004 7:28:28 PM

On Sun, 3 Oct 2004, Baxter wrote:

> Take a look at: http://www.baxcode.com/exptraxx/exptraxx.htm
>
> It doesn't track mileage, but you could track such costs. It does track
> expenses by customer and project, and you can export in csv format.

Thanks, Baxter. I'll take a look.

Bob
Anonymous
October 4, 2004 7:29:18 PM

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004, charles wrote:

> On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 22:55:47 -0500, Robert Kim <roberth@purdue.edu>
> wrote:
>
> >Hi, all. Could anyone recommend a good multiple-client expense tracker
> >that allows data to be imported into MS Excel? I need to track receipts,
> >personal car miles, etc., for several different clients. TIA.
> >
> >Bob
>
> Zoskware ExpenzPro <http://www.zoskware.com/&gt;

Thank you, Charles. I appreciate the suggestion, will look at it.

Bob
Anonymous
October 4, 2004 8:31:11 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Hi Bob,

$50US is a lot for a Palm program, but SmartList-to-Go's tight
integration with Access makes it more than worth it for me. I have
designed a bunch of reports for; time keeping, invoicing,
registration, inventory and project management in Access 2000. Once a
week, I update my Access database run the reports and I am good to go.

A bunch of spreadsheets as suggested could work. 20 years ago, I used
SuperCalc for so many different things, it was like a Swiss Army
knife. The thing is, how easily can it be used. I'm a computer
consultant, and I charge anywhere from $100US to $300US an hour
(Depending on what I am doing), and my time is my dearest commodity. I
am always looking for ways to make more productive use of my time.
$50US is a half an hour pay at my lowest rate. If you find yourself
spending hours tracking projects and generating reports, then I would
say that you are not spending your time as well as you could.

I learned years ago from listening to my clients that data entry is
important . . . but reporting is the bread & butter.

Robert Kim wrote:

|Sorry for the misspelling of your name, C.Joseph. My only gripe with
|using JFile, now that I've tried it for expenses, is that I can't add all
|expenses up per client or totally. JFile appears to only do some minor
|math functions within each record, no way to add up totals for different
|records. I'll take a look at Smartfile and see if this is possible.
I've
|been using RExpense, which has everything I'd like to do, but the report
|printouts aren't very good and you can't export to ASCII or .CSV. Thanks
|again for your help.
|
|Bob
|

|On Sun, 3 Oct 2004, C.Joseph Drayton wrote:
|

| Hi Bob,
|
| I tried JFile a while back and it is a serviceable database. You
| should be able to design the appropriate tables with it. Just remember
| that one of the most powerful things about the Palm when building
| databases is its on-the-fly list. With my smartlist, I can add a new
| time card in 8 seconds from the time I turn the Palm on.
|
| BTW, it is 'C.Joseph' not 'C. Joseph'. There is no space between the
| '.' and the 'J'. My given name is 'C.Joseph'
|
| Ciao . . . C.Joseph
|
| That which a man buys too cheaply . . .
| ~ He esteems too lightly
|

| Robert Kim wrote:
|
| |Thanks for the input, C. Joseph. I already have Jfile and will see if
| |this can be used then before looking at Smartlist.
| |
| |Bob
| |
| |
| |On Sun, 3 Oct 2004, C.Joseph Drayton wrote:
| |

| | Hi Bob,
| |
| | I would recommend using SmartList-to-Go to develop your own databases.
| | I have a number of smartlist that I use to track time, travel per diem
| | & expenses. The cool thing about SmartList-to-Go is that it can easily
| | export to MDB or CSV. The program can be found at;
| | *http://tinyurl.com/9ta6 .*
| |
| | Ciao . . . C.Joseph
| |
| | That which a man buys too cheaply . . .
| | ~ He esteems too lightly
| |
| |
| |
| | Robert Kim wrote:
| |
| | |Hi, all. Could anyone recommend a good multiple-client expense
| tracker
| | |that allows data to be imported into MS Excel? I need to track
| | receipts,
| | |personal car miles, etc., for several different clients. TIA.
| | |
| | |Bob

Anonymous
October 4, 2004 10:17:22 PM

Robert Kim wrote:

> Hi, all. Could anyone recommend a good multiple-client expense
> tracker that allows data to be imported into MS Excel? I need to
> track receipts, personal car miles, etc., for several different
> clients. TIA.

I use AllTime by Iambic.

http://www.iambic.com/alltime/palmos/

It handles time, expenses, and auto miles all for multiple clients. It has
its own reporting or you can export the data for use elsewhere.

I am a consultant and I have been using AllTime for years.

Regards,
James
Anonymous
October 5, 2004 1:46:58 AM

news:p ine.SOL.4.58.0410041526180.831@herald.cc.purdue.edu...
> On Mon, 4 Oct 2004, Tumbleweed wrote:
>
>> "John Doe" <a.nonymous@abuse.org> wrote in message
>> news:p an.2004.10.04.13.43.36.780589@abuse.org...

>> > I wasn't suggesting games as the solution to your problem. I was
>> > providing sarcasm, because what he suggested was completely unrelated
>> > your original question.
>>
>> ...or not, as the OPs answer shows :-)
>

> True, Tumbleweed. For each client, I would most likely set up a separate
> sheet for each one. Not so bad with up to, say, 5 clients I suppose. I
> just wouldn't be able to add up totals combining the different clients.
> Thanks for the input.
>
> Bob
I just looked, in DTG there doesn't seem to be a way to refer from one sheet
to another, or you would be able to do that. OTOH maybe you could use the PC
app to do that kind of summing, seems more like an analysis function? If you
wanted it back on the Palm for reference you could sync it back again I
suppose.
Maybe there is a Palm spreadsheet that has the ability to refer to cells in
a seperate sheet?
Or you could even (but not nice to look at) have one huge sheet with
everything in it :-)

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com
Anonymous
October 5, 2004 6:45:59 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004, Tumbleweed wrote:

> I just looked, in DTG there doesn't seem to be a way to refer from one sheet
> to another, or you would be able to do that. OTOH maybe you could use the PC
> app to do that kind of summing, seems more like an analysis function? If you
> wanted it back on the Palm for reference you could sync it back again I
> suppose.
> Maybe there is a Palm spreadsheet that has the ability to refer to cells in
> a seperate sheet?
> Or you could even (but not nice to look at) have one huge sheet with
> everything in it :-)

Tumbleweed, I couldn't find such a spreadsheet app but no matter. I would
just want to see totals for each client anyway. Thanks!

Bob
Anonymous
October 5, 2004 6:47:25 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Smartlist does look versatile, C.Joseph. Thanks for the heads up on this.

Bob

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004, C.Joseph Drayton wrote:

> Hi Bob,
>
> $50US is a lot for a Palm program, but SmartList-to-Go's tight
> integration with Access makes it more than worth it for me. I have
> designed a bunch of reports for; time keeping, invoicing,
> registration, inventory and project management in Access 2000. Once a
> week, I update my Access database run the reports and I am good to go.
>
> A bunch of spreadsheets as suggested could work. 20 years ago, I used
> SuperCalc for so many different things, it was like a Swiss Army
> knife. The thing is, how easily can it be used. I'm a computer
> consultant, and I charge anywhere from $100US to $300US an hour
> (Depending on what I am doing), and my time is my dearest commodity. I
> am always looking for ways to make more productive use of my time.
> $50US is a half an hour pay at my lowest rate. If you find yourself
> spending hours tracking projects and generating reports, then I would
> say that you are not spending your time as well as you could.
>
> I learned years ago from listening to my clients that data entry is
> important . . . but reporting is the bread & butter.
>
> Ciao . . . C.Joseph
Anonymous
October 5, 2004 6:47:55 PM

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004, James Bott wrote:

> Robert Kim wrote:
>
> > Hi, all. Could anyone recommend a good multiple-client expense
> > tracker that allows data to be imported into MS Excel? I need to
> > track receipts, personal car miles, etc., for several different
> > clients. TIA.
>
> I use AllTime by Iambic.
>
> http://www.iambic.com/alltime/palmos/
>
> It handles time, expenses, and auto miles all for multiple clients. It has
> its own reporting or you can export the data for use elsewhere.
>
> I am a consultant and I have been using AllTime for years.
>
> Regards,
> James

Thanks, James. Checking it out now.

Bob
Anonymous
October 16, 2004 1:48:30 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Robert Kim (roberth@purdue.edu) wrote:
>Hi, all. Could anyone recommend a good multiple-client expense tracker
>that allows data to be imported into MS Excel? I need to track receipts,
>personal car miles, etc., for several different clients. TIA.

It's not specifically an expense tracker, but you can record expenses
(with a customizable list of what the expense was) and mileage with
TimeWhiz (http://www.timewhiz.st/). Its conduit is pretty basic - you
create reports on the Palm, and the conduit will generate CSV files for
those reports on the PC side.

I use it quite a bit, and it has an awful lot of features. The only
thing I haven't seen that I'd find useful is a way to indicate whether
an item (time or expense) being entered is billable to the customer. I
suspect that's because in the author's line of business *everything* is
billable to the customer.

ajm
Anonymous
October 17, 2004 1:04:54 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Alan,

> It's not specifically an expense tracker, but you can record expenses
> (with a customizable list of what the expense was) and mileage with
> TimeWhiz (http://www.timewhiz.st/). Its conduit is pretty basic - you
> create reports on the Palm, and the conduit will generate CSV files for
> those reports on the PC side.
>
> I use it quite a bit, and it has an awful lot of features. The only
> thing I haven't seen that I'd find useful is a way to indicate whether
> an item (time or expense) being entered is billable to the customer. I
> suspect that's because in the author's line of business *everything* is
> billable to the customer.

You could just create a "client" called "Overhead" and assign non-billable
items to Overhead.

James
!