Warhammer Old West

Sorry for not tagging.

Does anyone know much about this game? Its got my curiosity but I dont want
to order the book from overseas with out knowing a bit more about the rules
and campaign system first.

Thanks,

Erik C
5 answers Last reply
More about warhammer west

    "Erik" <erikc@iinet.net.au> wrote in message
    > Sorry for not tagging.
    >
    > Does anyone know much about this game? Its got my curiosity but I dont
    > want
    > to order the book from overseas with out knowing a bit more about the
    > rules
    > and campaign system first.

    http://miniaturewargaming.com/index.php?/mwg/comments/legends_of_the_old_west_review/

    There are other reviews you can Google and yahoo groups for it. Can't
    remember title of groups. sorry.

    Malc
    PS I wrote a set of wild west rules based on Necromunda which you can get
    free;

    http://www.freewargamesrules.co.uk/Rules/19th_Century/WesternRules.html
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    "Erik" <erikc@iinet.net.au> wrote in

    > Sorry for not tagging.
    >
    > Does anyone know much about this game? Its got my curiosity but I
    > dont want to order the book from overseas with out knowing a bit more
    > about the rules and campaign system first.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Erik C

    From what I've seen of it it looked ok. It's a skirmish based game using
    rules very similar to GW's Lord of the Rings rules, which work well for
    skirmish games, but not for mass battles (causing most people around
    where I go to game to dismiss the LotR system straight away, as they
    wanted to recreate the battles from the books/films). If you do find you
    become interested please could you post back at some time to let me know
    which miniatures you use. So far I like the look of the Foundry minis.
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    > From what I've seen of it it looked ok. It's a skirmish based game using
    > rules very similar to GW's Lord of the Rings rules, which work well for
    > skirmish games, but not for mass battles (causing most people around
    > where I go to game to dismiss the LotR system straight away, as they
    > wanted to recreate the battles from the books/films). If you do find you
    > become interested please could you post back at some time to let me know
    > which miniatures you use. So far I like the look of the Foundry minis.

    I found a lot of discussion threads re. LotOW and figures on TMP (The
    Miniatures Page). Look for the message boards, 19th century, general
    discussion.

    http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/boards.mv?period=nine
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    Erik Setzer entered the world pub known as rec.games.miniatures.warhammer
    and said...

    > On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 13:49:10 +1100, "Erik" <erikc@iinet.net.au> wrote:
    >
    > >Sorry for not tagging.
    > >
    > >Does anyone know much about this game? Its got my curiosity but I dont want
    > >to order the book from overseas with out knowing a bit more about the rules
    > >and campaign system first.
    > >
    > >Thanks,
    > >
    > >Erik C
    >
    > Sounds interesting. I might pick it up soon, since I'm about to start
    > getting some Old West figures from Foundry to use in a Sidewinder
    > Recoiled RPG campaign. If anyone plays a few games, let me know how
    > it goes.

    <May god have mercy on my soul but I'm about to try and help Erik S. save
    some money!>

    Erik before you go off and buy a bunch of mini's for who knows how much
    money, go to the toy store and get a bag of cheap Cowboys & Indians it may
    cost you $2 for 20 or so figures. They are soft plastic so if you want to
    paint them you will need to coat them with white glue first. The other
    players will most likely understand that you wish to try the game out before
    spending boatloads of money on metal mini's.

    --
    Jim M
    posted on this day, the 4149th of September 1993

    "Look alive. Here comes a buzzard." -- Walt Kelly (Pogo)

    http://jimac.tripod.com
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 02:42:20 GMT, Ancient Gamer
    <hnjcomics@rocketmail.com> wrote:

    >Erik Setzer entered the world pub known as rec.games.miniatures.warhammer
    >and said...
    >
    >> On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 13:49:10 +1100, "Erik" <erikc@iinet.net.au> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Sorry for not tagging.
    >> >
    >> >Does anyone know much about this game? Its got my curiosity but I dont want
    >> >to order the book from overseas with out knowing a bit more about the rules
    >> >and campaign system first.
    >> >
    >> >Thanks,
    >> >
    >> >Erik C
    >>
    >> Sounds interesting. I might pick it up soon, since I'm about to start
    >> getting some Old West figures from Foundry to use in a Sidewinder
    >> Recoiled RPG campaign. If anyone plays a few games, let me know how
    >> it goes.
    >
    ><May god have mercy on my soul but I'm about to try and help Erik S. save
    >some money!>
    >
    >Erik before you go off and buy a bunch of mini's for who knows how much
    >money, go to the toy store and get a bag of cheap Cowboys & Indians it may
    >cost you $2 for 20 or so figures. They are soft plastic so if you want to
    >paint them you will need to coat them with white glue first. The other
    >players will most likely understand that you wish to try the game out before
    >spending boatloads of money on metal mini's.

    Good idea. However, the minis were mostly for the RPG campaign, and
    the WOW would have been a secondary use for them.
    -Erik
    "There's a lot to be said for just letting go. It also helps to keep in mind that that bastard Grim Reaper is loose in the room and moving targets are harder to hit."
    -Randy Wayne White

    RGMW FAQ @ http://www.rgmw.org
    Read it for your own good!

Games Video Games Books