[WFB] Tale of RGMW for real

Howdy,

I've been going along with this monthly buy thing and, having not played
fantasy in 2 editions (bought, yes... Played, no... anyone need some
plastic brets?), I had a few questions:

how many months at $50US would it take me to build a Grand tournament
size army? (high elves)

What is the current average list point wise? I saw 3,000 point
ogre/empire in WD but is that the Norm?

I've always liked Fantasy Fluff and imagery -wise and I'm really glad it
is not as character based as before. When last I played it was empire
and I got really turned off when I charged 5 DE cold ones with my 10
Empire knights and got my teeth kicked in. So even though I have my old
empire army I just can't get motivated to get it ready for 6th...

Any other suggestions as a fledgling WFB player?

Yeah, check out www.thewarstore.net. They offer Warhammer at a 20%
discount, with free shipping on larger orders. Normally I'd say support
local stores, but it's your choice.

Ignore the GW mega-boxes, they usually include lots of expensive metal
troopers, one of each unit GW wants to sell you, not what you actually
need. Same with the "display armies" shown in White Dwarf. They show
one, maybe two of each individual unit, not lots of regular infantry,
which is what you'd actually use. Two battleforces are usually a better
deal, but post your army list here before you purchase.

The 3,000 point is too large, and was basically done to show off Ogre
Kingdoms, which is the big new "hype" army. 2,000 points is the
standard.

You're playing High Elves, so bolt throwers, characters/wizards,
chariots and large units of elf warriors/bowmen are great to start
with.

Try and see if you can't track down the old monopose troopers from the
old box set. The poses are virtually identical to the new ones and
don't require assembly, if that's your thing. You can use them to make
large units of line troopers on the cheap, or if you like the new
models, you can just use them to kit out the back ranks on units of
spearmen.

--Chris

"Desert Lurker" <ironman150.spam@ridgenet.net> wrote in message
> Howdy,
>
> I've been going along with this monthly buy thing and, having not played
> fantasy in 2 editions (bought, yes... Played, no... anyone need some
> plastic brets?), I had a few questions:
>
> how many months at $50US would it take me to build a Grand tournament size
> army? (high elves)

High elves is an army you can build the cheapest because it has three (nay 4
now) sets of plastic regiment/artillery.

> What is the current average list point wise? I saw 3,000 point ogre/empire
> in WD but is that the Norm?

No, but you apperently can take them (ogres) as allies since Ogre Kingdoms
has been released.

> I've always liked Fantasy Fluff and imagery -wise and I'm really glad it
> is not as character based as before. When last I played it was empire and
> I got really turned off when I charged 5 DE cold ones with my 10 Empire
> knights and got my teeth kicked in. So even though I have my old empire
> army I just can't get motivated to get it ready for 6th...
>
> Any other suggestions as a fledgling WFB player?

Bretonnians are the best at the moment for miniatures..

I was looking at the on line store and I was wondering do you think that
LOTR elf w/2 Hand sword would be a usable (like take it to a
con/tourney) count as for the sword masters? Too bad there are not
enough units to make a LOTR/High elf army.

-Joe "are you pondering what I'm pondering" Boster

On 1/10/05 2:35 PM, in article crtska$2lou$1@delphi.ridgenet.net, "Desert
Lurker" <ironman150.spam@ridgenet.net> wrote:

> I was looking at the on line store and I was wondering do you think that
> LOTR elf w/2 Hand sword would be a usable (like take it to a
> con/tourney) count as for the sword masters? Too bad there are not
> enough units to make a LOTR/High elf army.

I don't think you can take it to a GW tournament. There was some rules
about not using LOTR miniatures in non-LOTR GW games. But those who do
tournaments could probably tell you more.

I also seem to remember the scale may be slightly different.

janet
--
The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win, you are still a rat.
Lily Tomlin

Janet Quick wrote:
> On 1/10/05 2:35 PM, in article crtska$2lou$1@delphi.ridgenet.net, "Desert
> Lurker" <ironman150.spam@ridgenet.net> wrote:
>

>>I was looking at the on line store and I was wondering do you think that
>>LOTR elf w/2 Hand sword would be a usable (like take it to a
>>con/tourney) count as for the sword masters? Too bad there are not
>>enough units to make a LOTR/High elf army.
>>

> I don't think you can take it to a GW tournament. There was some rules
> about not using LOTR miniatures in non-LOTR GW games. But those who do
> tournaments could probably tell you more.
>
> I also seem to remember the scale may be slightly different.
>
> janet
I truly thoght as much, and they are a bit smaller. Same scale as most
Reaper/Ral Partha(RIP)/WoTC/Clix figures.It's just too bad cause I got
about 40 of em. At one point in time I really thought I was going to
play LOTR so I send a lot of money on... well pretty nice looking
figures (when I stopped). I guess that's not too bad considering I was
collectiong before I was gaming.
-Joe