Looking for cheap Word equivalent for Palm

October 3, 2004 1:41:46 PM

any links?
Anonymous
October 3, 2004 7:20:17 PM

"neil freeborn" <neilfreeborn@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> any links?

Tried Google?
Anonymous
October 3, 2004 7:20:18 PM

On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 15:20:17 +0000 (UTC), John Nice wrote:

> "neil freeborn" <neilfreeborn@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> any links?
>
> Tried Google?

or FreewarePalm.com?

--
Derek

"We're all given a ticket to the American freak show the day we're born and
some people, they put their ticket away. Me, I watch the show." -- George
Carlin
October 3, 2004 9:08:45 PM

In article <klT7d.72$jj2.24527@news20.bellglobal.com>,
"neil freeborn" <neilfreeborn@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> any links?

Buy a T|E and you get that *and* an Excel equivalent. Both Word and
Excel documents created on your PC can be synced to your Palm via Docs
to Go *or* (and this is the kicker for me) you can *create* Word and
Excel files on the Palm that are compatible as-is with Word and Excel on
your PC. It's a great bargain, my opinion.

Regards,

-Doug
Anonymous
October 3, 2004 9:08:46 PM

On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 17:08:45 GMT, Doug Hoffman <dhoffman@journey.com>
was understood to have stated the following:

>Buy a T|E and you get that *and* an Excel equivalent. Both Word and
>Excel documents created on your PC can be synced to your Palm via Docs
>to Go *or* (and this is the kicker for me) you can *create* Word and
>Excel files on the Palm that are compatible as-is with Word and Excel on
>your PC. It's a great bargain, my opinion.

Agreed. Never installed Word or Excel on my home PC until after I got
my Docs-To-Go equipped T|3. :-D

--

The last song I started on my PC was: Same In The End-Sublime-Sublime
This is track 11 of 727 in the current playlist.

Hi guys

Considering the switch to Palm from PPC. I see that Docs to Go has great
Word support, but can you actually synchronise it with a folder in a
designated My Documents sub folder?

Or do you have to manually copy files ?

"David W. Poole, Jr." <KillroyWasHere.20.dwpj65@spamgourmet.com> wrote in
message news:48o0m0hc25tt4st2q4nsb24515qescu4hc@4ax.com...
> On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 17:08:45 GMT, Doug Hoffman <dhoffman@journey.com>
> was understood to have stated the following:
>
>>Buy a T|E and you get that *and* an Excel equivalent. Both Word and
>>Excel documents created on your PC can be synced to your Palm via Docs
>>to Go *or* (and this is the kicker for me) you can *create* Word and
>>Excel files on the Palm that are compatible as-is with Word and Excel on
>>your PC. It's a great bargain, my opinion.
>
> Agreed. Never installed Word or Excel on my home PC until after I got
> my Docs-To-Go equipped T|3. :-D
>

> --
>
> The last song I started on my PC was: Same In The End-Sublime-Sublime
> This is track 11 of 727 in the current playlist.
October 4, 2004 1:27:12 AM

On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 21:27:11 GMT, "The Shadow"
<myshirtkychow@bigpond.net.au> jumped in and said:

>Hi guys
>
>Considering the switch to Palm from PPC. I see that Docs to Go has great
>Word support, but can you actually synchronise it with a folder in a
>designated My Documents sub folder?
>
> Or do you have to manually copy files ?

Files created on the desktop are kept in the folder from which they
were added to DTG. For files created on the palmtop, there is a
default folder for those, and you can set it to whatever you need.

--
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
Anonymous
October 4, 2004 1:27:12 AM

On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 21:27:11 GMT, "The Shadow"
<myshirtkychow@bigpond.net.au> was understood to have stated the
following:

>Hi guys
>
>Considering the switch to Palm from PPC. I see that Docs to Go has great
>Word support, but can you actually synchronise it with a folder in a
>designated My Documents sub folder?
>
> Or do you have to manually copy files ?

You can drag a, any, or all the files from the folder(s) to the DTG
window. All files remain in their current locations on your computer,
and show up in a single list in DTG on the PDA. New files created on
the PDA (or on another desktop you sync with) end up on the first
desktop in the default directory, which for my XP Home based machine
is the "My Documents" folder.

--

The last song I started on my PC was: Seed-Sublime-Sublime
This is track 21 of 727 in the current playlist.

"The Shadow" <myshirtkychow@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
news:p 8_7d.13029$5O5.3352@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> Hi guys
>
> Considering the switch to Palm from PPC. I see that Docs to Go has great
> Word support, but can you actually synchronise it with a folder in a
> designated My Documents sub folder?
>
> Or do you have to manually copy files ?

Unless there is an update that addes this capability you have to
specifically do something to add it a file to DTG. There isnt a concept of
'sync anything in this folder'. OTOH if you are going to copy something to a
'designated subfolder' to get it synched, its pretty much the same as
copying it to docs to go instead.
--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com
Anonymous
October 9, 2004 8:41:07 AM

That's fabulous, that's what I need. Thanks.

Can you also sync files that aren't compatible with docs to go, but can be
used by other Palm software? eg image viewers?

"David W. Poole, Jr." <KillroyWasHere.20.dwpj65@spamgourmet.com> wrote in
message news:s841m0l8d9mr86072ostidvod0bauvb449@4ax.com...
> On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 21:27:11 GMT, "The Shadow"
> <myshirtkychow@bigpond.net.au> was understood to have stated the
> following:
>
>>Hi guys
>>
>>Considering the switch to Palm from PPC. I see that Docs to Go has great
>>Word support, but can you actually synchronise it with a folder in a
>>designated My Documents sub folder?
>>
>> Or do you have to manually copy files ?
>
> You can drag a, any, or all the files from the folder(s) to the DTG
> window. All files remain in their current locations on your computer,
> and show up in a single list in DTG on the PDA. New files created on
> the PDA (or on another desktop you sync with) end up on the first
> desktop in the default directory, which for my XP Home based machine
> is the "My Documents" folder.
>

> --
>
> The last song I started on my PC was: Seed-Sublime-Sublime
> This is track 21 of 727 in the current playlist.
Anonymous
October 11, 2004 6:19:48 AM

On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 04:41:07 GMT, "The Shadow"
<myshirtkychow@bigpond.net.au> was understood to have stated the
following:

>That's fabulous, that's what I need. Thanks.
>
>Can you also sync files that aren't compatible with docs to go, but can be
>used by other Palm software? eg image viewers?

The software that came with my T|3 included an image viewer which
handles .jpgs and *perhaps* .bmp files as well. It also included
RealOne audio player, which means you can handle .mp3 files as well.
For loading images and audio onto my cards, I prefer to use a card
reader as it's *much* faster than using the HotSync conduit for those
types.

There are also some apps for Palm OS that will handle other files
types (.MPGs come to mind), but since there is no desktop counterpart
that synchronizes with the PDA, you *must* use a card writer to put
these types of files on the card.

Those are the only file types I have experience with sharing on the PC
and the PDA.
Anonymous
October 11, 2004 3:32:01 PM

Thanks Dave

I was referring actually to synchronising files via Docs to Go, eg. can I
add say an MP3 or a .zip file to Docs to Go so that it will syncrhonise it -
even though Docs to Go cannot open it (although a JPEG viewer could)? The
reason I ask is that this way, if I want to view a JPG on my Palm, I'd
prefer not to have to manually copy it across into a card - I'd rather be
able to drop it into DTG, and then when I sync, it moves across.

However, if Docs to Go is a slow conduit for these larger files, then that's
a different matter.

"David W. Poole, Jr." <KillroyWasHere.20.dwpj65@spamgourmet.com> wrote in
message news:139km096qdi003g506dong48cr3t1gh0lj@4ax.com...
> On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 04:41:07 GMT, "The Shadow"
> <myshirtkychow@bigpond.net.au> was understood to have stated the
> following:
>
>>That's fabulous, that's what I need. Thanks.
>>
>>Can you also sync files that aren't compatible with docs to go, but can be
>>used by other Palm software? eg image viewers?
>
> The software that came with my T|3 included an image viewer which
> handles .jpgs and *perhaps* .bmp files as well. It also included
> RealOne audio player, which means you can handle .mp3 files as well.
> For loading images and audio onto my cards, I prefer to use a card
> reader as it's *much* faster than using the HotSync conduit for those
> types.
>
> There are also some apps for Palm OS that will handle other files
> types (.MPGs come to mind), but since there is no desktop counterpart
> that synchronizes with the PDA, you *must* use a card writer to put
> these types of files on the card.
>
> Those are the only file types I have experience with sharing on the PC
> and the PDA.

Anonymous
October 11, 2004 4:13:08 PM

"The Shadow" <myshirtkychow@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message news:<Rauad.22190$5O5.7981@news-server.bigpond.net.au>...
> Thanks Dave
>
> I was referring actually to synchronising files via Docs to Go, eg. can I
> add say an MP3 or a .zip file to Docs to Go so that it will syncrhonise it -
> even though Docs to Go cannot open it (although a JPEG viewer could)? The
> reason I ask is that this way, if I want to view a JPG on my Palm, I'd
> prefer not to have to manually copy it across into a card - I'd rather be
> able to drop it into DTG, and then when I sync, it moves across.

You can *only* synchronize file types understood by DTG using DTG; ie,
it (or any other program) only synchronizes things it understands. To
get other file formats, you can still use the Palm Desktop Install
tool. This (internally) uses an appropriate desktop conduit to move
your file(s) to your PDA or expansion card. Still, the desktop conduit
is SLOW compared to using a USB 2.0 card writer. Heck, even a USB 1.1
card writer or SoftExport beats hotsyncing when it comes to transfer
of large files. I gave up on using the Palm Desktop install tool for
larger files within a couple of days of getting my T|3 due to the
horrendously slow installation times. Ended up springing for a USB 2.0
thumb drive for my SD cards, which makes life much easier and faster
for my needs.

> However, if Docs to Go is a slow conduit for these larger files, then that's
> a different matter.

Again, DTG must support the file type you want to install, and DTG
only understands some of the Microsoft Office file formats. The T|3
(not sure about the other models) comes with RealOne for MP3s, as well
as an integrated JPG viewer, both of which have desktop counterparts
to assist in installing files of these type via the hotsync manager.
However, it is *highly* recommended that you consider a card writer if
you think you're going to be shuffling stuff about on your cards as I
do. If you think you're going to have a static collection of files,
limping through a single hotsync to get the stuff installed might not
be that bad.
!